Need To Fix My Taillights

I've got working brake lights,headlights front markers and turn signals but no taillights

What could cause em to not work?

I'm sketched out bout even running it at 6:30 am to go to school

Any and all help would be appreciated

And if y'all think of something feel free to text me (615)440-1243 cause I'm not on here much

check the bulbs first to make sure they are the correct dual filament style.  after that I would check the connector in the wire harness located right behind the drivers side rear tire.  I had some corrosion problems in there that stole my brake lights.

Check ALL the fuses in your fuse box.

Check all of the bulbs in both taillights to make sure they are the correct bulbs as called for in your owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, tell us what year model your truck is and someone will give you the bulb numbers (they may be the same for all years, but I'm not positive about that).

Take the taillight connector apart and check it for corrosion and dirt. Clean both sides of each connection to shiny metal and reconnect the connector using dielectric grease.

Check the ground behind the left, driver's side, taillight. You can do this while you have the taillight off checking the bulbs. Remove the screw, clean the lug on the end of the ground wire and the area around the screw hole to shiny metal, then put it back together with dielectric grease.

Few of us are electricians or professional mechanics. Your choices are to learn to do most of the repairs of all types yourself or pay someone to do it for you. That can get really expensive really fast. You've got the most extensive MJ repair resource right here on the forum, so use it and take advantage of all the experience of other members. Some of the available information is from the collective information database of the members and some is from practical, hands on, work by individual members. The forum has been an invaluable asset for me in the work I've done on the '88 Pioneer and my future plans for the'91 Eliminator. And I'll take this opportunity to again say thanks to the "MJ gurus" on the forum.

If you have brake lights, it can't be a ground problem, so you have to look at the wiring on the input side. Unfortunately, you have an electrical problem, so you're going to have to learn to deal with electrical wiring.

Isn't there a fuse for the taillights on the early MJs? (I should know this, but I seem to forget more than I remember these days.)

Pick up a test light at the Zone or similar and check for power. As long as you're not measuring voltage amplitude, it's an easy quick way to troubleshoot simple electrical circuit problems.  And you really don't need to know anything about electricity.  :thumbsup:

circuit-tst-posit.jpg

If you have brake lights, it can't be a ground problem, so you have to look at the wiring on the input side. Unfortunately, you have an electrical problem, so you're going to have to learn to deal with electrical wiring.

Isn't there a fuse for the taillights on the early MJs? (I should know this, but I seem to forget more than I remember these days.)

Brake lights and hazards have fuses on 90 and earlier. There's a wire coming right off the battery cable for the HO years.

Brake lights are different from parking/tail lights. But the tail lights should be on the same fuse as the front parking lights, so if the fronts work, the fuse is good.

Link from an old thread to a 1988 FSM for the MJ electrics. Wiring for the tail lights shouldn't have changed much, if at all.

http://www.bteventures.com//mj1988electricalmanual.pdf

I suspect the sockets.

Tell me about it. Wish I remembered where I left the puter so I could answer that. :hmm:

• 1 month later...