Comanche windshield

Yes and No,

Your comanche windshield is about 1/4" shorter than the cherokee don't ask me why. I didn't know myself until we watched the glass shop break two windshields in my 90 MJ before someone went and measured the old glass, Then with some careful work they managed to get a cherokee glass in the MJ. So far 2 years (knock on wood) but I think they lost money on my truck.

• 8 years later...

Just found out my 87 mj has a crack near the top, passenger side of the windshield.

Is there someplace I can order a rubber window seal? I thick I have access to a Comanche windshield. If that's in bad shape guess I can use a Cherokee pre 97 correct?

Just found out my 87 mj has a crack near the top, passenger side of the windshield.

Is there someplace I can order a rubber window seal? I thick I have access to a Comanche windshield. If that's in bad shape guess I can use a Cherokee pre 97 correct?

The '87 XJ and MJ didn't use a rubber seal. The glass is glued in with a heavy bead of rubber sealant, then the stainless trim is snapped back into the posts.

Why not have one of the traveling glass repair guys do an epoxy injection on the crack? It should stop it from traveling and be good for many years.

Yes and No,

Your comanche windshield is about 1/4" shorter than the cherokee don't ask me why. I didn't know myself until we watched the glass shop break two windshields in my 90 MJ before someone went and measured the old glass, Then with some careful work they managed to get a cherokee glass in the MJ. So far 2 years (knock on wood) but I think they lost money on my truck.

I call BS from the glass shop.

I order glass for a 98 XJ, don't tell them it's a MJ, reputable glass guy easy peasy....No BS

Or do it myself if $$ is an issue.

Never knew they could do an epoxy injection however, in my area if cops do a tragic stop and see a cracked window they give us a ticket. Not sure though if the epoxy would pass that inspection. I'll have to check on that.

You posted that you "just found out" you have a crack near the top. That suggests that (1) the crack isn't in the driver's field of view, and (2) the crack isn't very big. I don't know about where you are, but around here cracks and stone chips ("stars") are ticket bait only if they're in the driver's field of view. The epoxy injection will stop a crack for propagating, and if the crack is small it may make it almost disappear. I have three or four stars in the windshield of my '88 XJ that have been epoxy repaired; you can't see them if you don't know they're there.

On my old '78 FS Cherokee, I did one myself, with a kit. It didn't come out as well as the professionals, but it worked. Do check it out. A reputable repairer won't do one if it's in a portion of the windshield that's ticket bait.

Yea its near the top of passenger side and comes down about 3-4 inches then runs along the top just over the driver side. It's kind of in a tinted section so wasnt really noticeable until it rained and wet the floor on both sides. I'll ask locally about that epoxy injection, that could come in very handy until I can get it replaced. Thanks eagle

^^ What they said ^^  

My experience....last MJ 87' model. Cracked front windshield when I got it.  

Went to the local "DIY Auto Recycler" armed with a new pair of thick gloves and three brand new extendable blades razor knifes and picked out the nicest/newest I could find from the nicest/newest Cherokee.  

Took my time cut, cut, cut, cut.... push, lift, grab, carry. $40 out their door.  

Three old comforters for the ride home. The most nerve racking part. 

One phone call to a local one-guy-glass-dude my work uses. $80 later installed including new style rubber molding. 

Done and done. 

Plan to do the same in the future for the current one. When the weather is not quite so hot here. 

If I go alone I use the razor knifes. If I have a rare but sometimes partner. Bike cable for the cutting. 

A couple of the PAP here in the ATL even have the "cheap glass installs here" shops right on the property. 

Great info guys thanks! **update** Have windshield now! however, after successfully pulling the old one out we have found lots of rust on the pinch weld that will have to be sand blasted and bondo'ed at a restoration shop before window can go back in. Might as well do it right so no leaks or problems later on