Will 88 Cherokee Flares fit 88 Comanche

Front flares will fit no problem. Back flares are completely different. You can make them work but they won't bolt right up...

A good rule of thumb is that everything before the rear edge of the door on a 4 door cherokee will work on a Comanche. There are some differences in the floor panels however that don't follow this rule but for the most part it is a good one to go by...

The 2-door Cherokee have the same rear flares as Comanche.

No, they don't. All Cherokee rear flares are the same, 2-door and 4-door. They are about 3" shorter lengthwise and 2" or so shorter heightwise than Comanche rear flares.

I posted a photo of a 2-door Cherokee flare and a Comanche flare back a year or so ago. You can probably find it if you search. Bottom line -- the Comanche rear flares are unique. The ONLY way to use Cherokee rear flares is to weld in a piece of Cherokee rear quarter panel to reduce the size of the wheel arch opening.

Oh yea back to the flares. This is a bit more subtle, but in true AMC fashion isn't there just one Comanche rear flare? The rights and lefts are the same. I know the metal plates are used on both sides.

Oh yea back to the flares. This is a bit more subtle, but in true AMC fashion isn't there just one Comanche rear flare? The rights and lefts are the same. I know the metal plates are used on both sides.

No the left and right rear flares are different. As are the retainer pieces.

No the retainers are swapable left front to right rear. They are marked as such.

There I go ASSuMing again because they carry different part numbers. How are they marked? I've had mine off a few times but never looked at them.

I believe he's talking about the metal retainers.

Any idea where to get the metal retainers? Mine are completed rusted to nothing.

Thanks.

I believe that someone still has them available, but the easier way to fix it would be to use stainless bolts. don't bother with the strip, washers work just fine.

I believe he's talking about the metal retainers.

Any idea where to get the metal retainers? Mine are completed rusted to nothing.

Thanks.

I believe that someone still has them available, but the easier way to fix it would be to use stainless bolts. don't bother with the strip, washers work just fine.

Really, don't need the strips. That would make things alot easier. Just stainless bolts and washers?

Also, do you replace the black plastic liner?

Thanks again for your help, its greatly appreciated.

Really, don't need the strips. That would make things alot easier. Just stainless bolts and washers?

Also, do you replace the black plastic liner?

Thanks again for your help, its greatly appreciated.

you can make it work that way. obviously you'll need to fit a wrench in there on either side...the plastic liner could get in the way, but if you fiddle around with it it will work, and last longer.

I welded new machine screws on the strips when all of mine broke off. Simply drilled out the old ones and welded in new ones. Its the best way to go in my opinion, it sure is easy to put them on and take them off this way and you still can use the inner black liner from the factory. I also dabbed a big gob of industrial valve grease on each stud. That stuff is really really sticky and its helping to keep the studs from rusting back up...

...just my $.02

I welded new machine screws on the strips when all of mine broke off. Simply drilled out the old ones and welded in new ones. Its the best way to go in my opinion, it sure is easy to put them on and take them off this way and you still can use the inner black liner from the factory. I also dabbed a big gob of industrial valve grease on each stud. That stuff is really really sticky and its helping to keep the studs from rusting back up...

...just my $.02

shame of it is his are rusted completely away...

The 2-door Cherokee have the same rear flares as Comanche.

No, they don't. All Cherokee rear flares are the same, 2-door and 4-door. They are about 3" shorter lengthwise and 2" or so shorter heightwise than Comanche rear flares.

I posted a photo of a 2-door Cherokee flare and a Comanche flare back a year or so ago. You can probably find it if you search. Bottom line -- the Comanche rear flares are unique. The ONLY way to use Cherokee rear flares is to weld in a piece of Cherokee rear quarter panel to reduce the size of the wheel arch opening.

Sorry. I have Bushwacker on my Comanche and they are the same as for 2 door Cherokee. http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=10912-07&Category_Code=bush

Sorry. I have Bushwacker on my Comanche and they are the same as for 2 door Cherokee. http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=10912-07&Category_Code=bush

Bushwhackers are aftermarket. He's asking about factory flares.

This has come up before. I measured, and I posted photos of a 2-door Cherokee flare next to a Comanche flare. They are NOT the same. The Comanche flare is larger in both length and height.

I posted this two years ago in May. Didn't have any idea it was that long ago:

Okay, here are the official measurements:

MJ:

Length at bottom of opening = 34"

Height from "baseline" to top of opening = 14-3/4"

XJ:

Length at bottom of opening = 32-1/2"

Height from "baseline" to top of opening = 12-3/4"

XJ measurements were checked on both my '88 4-door and on a 2-door quarter panel that I WAS planning to use on the '88 MJ until I found that it's too small. That's how I knew -- I've been there and done that.

Even the ends aren't the same. On the MJ flares, the screw hole on the bottom is the same on both ands, basically in the center of the flare "foot." On the XJ, the rear screw location is similar to the MJ, but the forward screw is located all the way at the front end of the flare "foot."

Sorry, guys, but they are not the same.

Thanks for confirming that the rear flares themselves are not interchangeable right to left. When I'm near the truck, my mind is thinking about something and I don't have it today because it stalled and won't restart. But anyway the metal retainers are stamped LH FRONT/RH REAR, TOP, and LH REAR/RH FRONT.