What size lift is this>> with pics

This is my donor XJ.... trying to get an idea of lift size that is on the donor, either by looking at the pics.... or some direction on how to measure. Need to know what size springs to buy for MJ rear because i am going to swap the lift to the MJ. Thers is a "Rough Country" sticker on the driver visor that talks about driving a vehicle with a lift. THANKS!!!

crazy looking shock extender

If those are 31's I'm going to guess it's the 3" lift.

Here is an old (very very old) pic of my XJ with the RC 4.5" lift with 31's on it. Notice the distance from the top of the tire to the fender flare is larger than in your pic.

DSC01132.jpg

Man oh man how my XJ's changed... :D

Wonder how I could measure?? Just don't want to order the wrong springs for the rear. Do you think I could swap the front over to the MJ, then measure the rear to see how much I need it to come up??

Thanks

Wonder how I could measure?? Just don't want to order the wrong springs for the rear. Do you think I could swap the front over to the MJ, then measure the rear to see how much I need it to come up??

Thanks

That may be the thing to do. It defnitely looks like a 3" (maybe a sagging 4") lift though.

Measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare. On a stock XJ, it's 17.5" in the front and 17" in the rear.

Which brings me to another question. I just measured my MJ, which I assumed to be at stock height. But it's 19" in the front and 18.5" in the rear.

So that's 1.5" more than a stock XJ. Was this the norm on an MJ?

Measure from the bottom of the flare lip to the ground. We have a customer's XJ sitting outside with the RC 3" lift with 31's so I'll be able to tell you if it's the 3" or the 4.5" based on what you measure.

34.5" on the XJ

30.5" on my MJ

Those "shock extenders" are somewhat disturbing to me. If you decide to lift, do everyone a favor, and don't put something like that on the road.

won't be using those extenders fo sure!!!

Measure from the bottom of the flare lip to the ground. We have a customer's XJ sitting outside with the RC 3" lift with 31's so I'll be able to tell you if it's the 3" or the 4.5" based on what you measure.

34.5" on the XJ

30.5" on my MJ

It's the 3" lift. :cheers:

Measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare. On a stock XJ, it's 17.5" in the front and 17" in the rear.

Which brings me to another question. I just measured my MJ, which I assumed to be at stock height. But it's 19" in the front and 18.5" in the rear.

So that's 1.5" more than a stock XJ. Was this the norm on an MJ?

Johnny is correct on the XJ. Stock measurements were 17-1/2" front and 17" rear, from center of wheel/axle to bottom edge of flare. (Obviously, if you don't have the stock flares you have to find another way to measure.)

For the MJ, the front measurement should be the same but the rear should be 21" to 21-1/2" for a 4x4, and 1" less for a 2WD.

I just checked mine, and my front is where it's supposed to be, but my rear is only 18.5", so 2.5" to 3" of sag. Guess I'll get new springs one of these months.

But how can the rear be different on 2wd and 4wd? Do they use different springs?

• 4 weeks later...
I just checked mine, and my front is where it's supposed to be, but my rear is only 18.5", so 2.5" to 3" of sag. Guess I'll get new springs one of these months.

I just took the cap off and cleaned all the junk out of the back, and the rears are now at 19.5", so "only" 1.5 to 2" of sag. Do have 1 broken leaf on each side. I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. The second leaf from the bottom is broken a few inches behind the axle on both sides. Don't think I have time to rectify that before July 18, though.

I already PM'd my (not quite) local parts supplier (Wildman), but had decided to wait until after the trip on the 18th.

Sounds like you're saying don't wait?

I drove my F100 for 2 years with a broken leaf, and never had another one go. And I routinely had 2000-3000 pound loads in the back.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't wait. Especially if a 400 mile trip and wheeling was coming up. Heck, I'm replacing the leafs in my truck and it's simply due to the rampant rust. No broken leafs yet.

http://www.mars-atp.com/ in Mogadore claims to have a pair in grade A condition.

http://www.giantautoparts.net/ in Akron claims to have a pair in grade C condition

Try to make sure they are 4wd leafs, but just about any leaf is better than a broken one.