Started reassembling the engine bay. I need to get a little foam to seal around the large airbox opening for the heater core and AC evaporator before the HVAC box can go in. Otherwise I am just running all the little lines and such that I can around in the engine bay. Wiring harness's, etc. I will install the engine wiring harness onto the engine and trans combo, and then slide the transfer case, transmission, and engine in as one unit all connected, this is much easier than trying to install the wiring into the body and then into the engine once in situ. 

So I am very close to getting the dash installed, and very close to getting the engine installed. 

I am really looking forward to seeing some things look complete, engine bay, dash, both are within striking distance and will be awesome to see installed.

IMG_6862.jpg
IMG_6863.jpg
IMG_6864.jpg
IMG_6865.jpg
IMG_6866.jpg
IMG_6867.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I'm pretty proud of this one. This is the XJ vin on the donor dash:
IMG_6869.jpg

And this is the Vin plate from the MJ dash:
IMG_6870.jpg

So I cut the vin plate out of the dash with the plastic around it:
IMG_6872.jpg

No pics of the next part, but what I did was heat up the old dash bit untill the vin plate with rivets was able to come out. So then I had a vin plate that was loose. So I went to my new dash and carefully drilled on the rivets untill the vin plate came off. However I was left with a bit of rivet in the plastic that refused to come out. So I heated it up a little and pushed it out the back. 

Then with my intact rivets and vin plate I put it up on the new dash, heated the rivet up while pushing on it with one leg of needle nose pliers, and used fireplace lighter to heat up the needle nose, the heat transferred down the plier leg to heat up the rivet, and then me pressing it at the same time pushed the rivet into the ABS plastic of the dash. The result is my original vin plate, with intact special rivets, firmly affixed to the new dash, as if it came from the factory that way.

So I have 3 vin plates, firewall, dash, and the vin plate on the upper radiator support.

IMG_6871.jpg

Looks factory:
IMG_6877.jpg

Ok, I got the bigger foam cut for the HVAC box and the HVAC box installed. 

IMG_6874.jpg

And then I got to installing stuff:
IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

IMG_6876.jpg

So I'm cranking along. Pushing hard. I'm fukkin tired. Getting frustrated at little stuff. I got so many things going on at once and trying to get multiple things figured out at the same time, got my head spinning a little bit.

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

maybe take some time off and sit in the yard to watch the sun drift on by?  :cool:   every brain needs a break now and again. 

Need to keep my brain occupied otherwise I will ruminate on the CF that is my personal life right now.

Thanks!

IMG_6878.jpg

Junkyard punches a hole in the pan to drain fluid. Which sucks because there is a drain plug. Its really hard to find a pan without a hole punched in it. I cut a small bit of steel to try and patch it. We will see how that goes.

IMG_6880.jpg
IMG_6883.jpg

Took awhile but I got the shifters installed, had to be careful, line them up with the holes that do cross over, and then drill some new ones. Little things can be a big PITA to get. 

IMG_6884.jpg
https://colorado4wheel.com/images/1988_MJ/build/content/images/large/IMG_6885.jpg]/img]

Got the holes drilled for the shifter linkage pivot, transfer case shifter in place.

IMG_6886.jpg

Non-faded needles! Looking forward to seeing that power up.
IMG_6887.jpg

Ok this is the XJ parking brake setup, ill be using the center part with adjustment, with the MJ bracket, the KJ rear parking break cables, and the XJ front parking brake cable and handle. The MJ bracket is the exact some length as the XJ so this will work nicely. I will use some box steel to drop the bracket down into the right plane. 

IMG_6891.jpg

MJ and XJ parking brake brackets:
IMG_6908.jpg

So there are two ways to do the parking break, some of the guys reuse the original parking brake cable, which I don't have in good order, mine was broken so I don't have that to start with. When they reuse the MJ cable they cut off the portion of the handle that sticks down through the floor and then make an "L" bracket that holds the cable inside, and the cable exits in the usual MJ location.

I cut the lower portion off the handle to help me set it flat, so I could figure the correct places to mount the parking brake handle. Since I had more than one handle I took the more beat up one and cut it up, making it a sacrificial park for mock up. Here is the mockup handle in place so I could figure out where it needed to be for mounting.

IMG_6897.jpg
IMG_6893.jpg
IMG_6892.jpg
IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_6902.jpg
IMG_6903.jpg

Bolted down on two bolts, have to bend the ear down a little on the 3rd:
IMG_6905.jpg

Then after much trial and error, and looking at the Yellow Jeep, I tweaked the airbag computer bracket so the airbag computer sits level. Then I marked the center of the holes, center punched, pilot drilled, main drilled, and then put in stainless steel M6 inserts.

Interior harness, I started working on this a few years back, I need to finish up with the modifications for the interior harness and then figure out where to run it. 

IMG_6909.jpg
IMG_6912.jpg
IMG_6914.jpg

Getting more and more complete, some interior stuff will need to come back off, but it makes me feel good seeing it installed in the truck.

IMG_6910.jpg
IMG_6915.jpg

Fresh washed parts, ready to be installed:
IMG_6916.jpg
IMG_6921.jpg

Fresh painted track bar and bracket:
IMG_6917.jpg

This NV242 from a KJ has something like 12K miles on it:
IMG_6918.jpg

Pressure washed some used carpet, seemed like it cleaned up pretty good, so I should be able to use it and cut it down.

IMG_6919.jpg

Tow hook bumper brackets waiting to be installed:
IMG_6920.jpg

Getting to be a real mess around here, projects tend to reach a critical mass where its in dissaray, and then they sort of come together and things start to align and clean up happens, I'm at the worst of the mess right now I think.....should get better from here.

IMG_6922.jpg
IMG_6923.jpg
IMG_6924.jpg

Rivnuts installed for parking brake and airbag computer bracket, marked where I knew I needed to cut the floor for the parking brake to exit. 

IMG_6936.jpg

Mounted:
IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6940.jpg

I'm pleased with how this one turned out, about as nice as they come. The cables are in the stock MJ parking brake bracket, Its moved forward between the two more forward rails compared to where it was. I cut a piece of 3x2" box steel and sliced the ends so I could get to the bolts. There were already 4 bolt holes in the bed, 2 were used for the stock bracket, and 2 were unused. After a quick cleanout with a tap all 4 holes were ready for use. I cut the box and mounted it. Then I placed the stock bracket on this new spacer bar, and connected up the XJ parking brake cable, marked my forward/backward spacing, and then went to the bench top to drill it. Drilled and tapped 3 holes, using the same threads as the bed did. The bracket was already notched to clear the gad tank pickup. So its possible to remove and install the gas tank pickup with this bracket in place, maybe the short bed setup is a little different, but the stock bracket looks like its meant to go there. 

IMG_6941.jpg

I used some cable clamps to help hold up the brake cables at the back going toward the axle. The cables are the stock KJ parking brake cables, plenty of length, feels like a factory setup.

IMG_6942.jpg
IMG_6945.jpg
IMG_6946.jpg

Brake cables routed through the factory MJ cable holder:
IMG_6947.jpg
IMG_6948.jpg

All I'm missing is the stock XJ adjuster to connect the parking brake to the rear cables. Another minor junkyard part that I'm sure I have hiding in a bucket somewhere.

Trying to use the 96XJ fuel pump and sensor assembly, it hits the slosh pan. Need some modification work to get this one going.

IMG_6970.jpg

Console mounted, screwed down to the plastic support bracket. This is where the console should sit in the final iteration, after the carpet and everything is installed finally.

IMG_6972.jpg

LP out, sitting on jack stands, going to roll the engine in from the front and then raise it up.

IMG_6973.jpg
IMG_6974.jpg

Finished up with the new stainless steel line, I ended up modifying the rear XJ line to fit the MJ and then running it to the back. It gets me closer than the original MJ line did, which was patched with a compression fitting to get to the rear end. So even in I tried to use it I would need to correct the splice, but even then I was going to need to do some custom brake stuff in the rear since I have KJ disks with a SUA. Overall pretty good solution. The complete new stainless kit was like $120 from rock auto. Totally worth it for nice new stainless lines!

IMG_6975.jpg

Old fuel feed line will feed fuel now, old fuel return line will be part of the EVAP line back to the canister. Old vent line from tank vents removed, and new stainless brake line from XJ routed as the MJ line was. Just need a short bit of hose to connect the evap line to the back.

IMG_6976.jpg

Running all back like factory:
IMG_6977.jpg

This is where the XJ line ends, I'll likely straighten in, and then make a new custom line to connect with this XJ line:
IMG_6978.jpg

Heated mirror and foglights, no wiper. I have a 3 position panel around here, and I should have a 4 position panel hiding in some stuff somewhere.

IMG_6981.jpg

Mmmmmm stainless:

IMG_6983.jpg

Little bit closer each time:
IMG_6985.jpg

Carpet cleaned up pretty good all things considered:
IMG_6986.jpg

Ok after seeing what one person on naxja did for this I tried to follow suit, I bent the pickup to the right and then it cleared the baffle. 

IMG_6989.jpg

Then I put the pump and sender back on to test fit, clearing the baffle, but the sender was hitting the side of the tank.

IMG_6993.jpg

So then I had to bend the sender and the pump mount back to the left. 

IMG_6999.jpg

So it basically went like this, bend pickup to the right, bend pump and sender to the left. this way the pump and sender end up in parallel to where they were, just offset.

This is the final bends:
IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_6994.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

Using a camping pad to help level the floor so the carpet will sit a little flatter.

IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_7003.jpg

New sway bar brackets, should clear the WJ steering. Beefy, though this is the type of thing I really should have spent some time to draw up and cut with the plasma table, but in the sake of time I just purchased.

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7011.jpg

I also bought this rotor drilling guide to help drill the WJ rotors to fit the 5x4.5 unit bearings.

IMG_7012.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

So I pressure washed the underside of the cab so I could undercoat it:

IMG_7014.jpg

Painting some things:
IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7016.jpg

Starting to undercoat:

IMG_7022.jpg

IMG_7023.jpg

More paint:

IMG_7024.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

Just about done with kilmat:

IMG_7032.jpg

Kilmat on roof, and then foam stuck to kilmat:
IMG_7033.jpg

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7035.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

About done undercoating:

IMG_7037.jpg

Gears arrived, master install kit, and I have my 3.73 and up carrier. All ready to install and regear.

IMG_7039.jpg

I need to start installing some stuff to clear out this mess, I want to get the axle on the bench for doing the gears:

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7045.jpg

I got the upstream O2 sensor moved in the harness to connect to the correct spot in the 99 exhaust.

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

All the stuff I need to build the axle, except 1 ton steering stuff.

IMG_7048.jpg

Comparing driveshafts, the painted one is a KJ driveshaft, which is basically the same length as XJ when you include the flange that bolts to the KJ 8.25.

IMG_7053.jpg

Undercoating on, fuel lines and brake line reinstalled, need a new fuel filter and some fuel injection hose. 

IMG_7054.jpg

Need to bend the lines a little to clear, only one will be used for fuel supply, the other will be a vapor line to the charcoal canister.

IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7056.jpg

Man there is just something nice about clean stainless:

IMG_7057.jpg

IMG_7058.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

IMG_7062.jpg

Getting the seats cleaned up:

IMG_7063.jpg

I'll be getting the seats setup with the XJ power bases, this will help level the seats since the MJ floor raises at the back. This gives the feeling of sliding forward in the seat, with the power pedestal I can adjust and lower the back as needed.  My seats also have the 2 door fold forward mechanism, which is nice for getting to stuff behind the rear seats. 

IMG_7064.jpg

IMG_7065.jpg

IMG_7066.jpg

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7069.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

Had freerider weld in an 02 sensor bung in the 2001 XJ cat pipe, this will be needed for the rear 02 sensor since I am setting this up to be a 99/00 style for emissions.

IMG_7071.jpg

Stock transfer case skid that I suppose I will use.

IMG_7072.jpg

Engine goes in tomorrow!

That is amazing work you are doing! The attention to detail is off the charts and the whole project is inspirational, keep the pics coming and thanks for sharing each step, makes me appreciate your work even more!

Buck.

So I used the lift to raise the front of the truck, raised the jackstands up, and rolled the engine under. Then I used the lift to lower the truck down onto the jackstand at a lower point.

IMG_7074.jpg

IMG_7075.jpg

IMG_7076.jpg

Sitting on the motor mounts:

IMG_7078.jpg

IMG_7079.jpg

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7081.jpg

IMG_7082.jpg

Had to get my laptop out to mess around with wiring and figure some things out. I had a blown fuse in the PDC, then I tracked down a ground that wasn't there to a couple of loose ground wires on the engine by the alternator I forgot to tighten. 

After I did that I got CCD bus comms working and was able to read DTCs and reset the CELs. Got all cleared except for the fuel gauge voltage out of range.

IMG_7083.jpg
IMG_7084.jpg

And........I messed around with the 96XJ fuel pump sender and the gauge, whoever said the 96 sender works was full of $#!&. The ohms range is totally off. I have no idea how anyone has ever been able to use it and have it ready anywhere near correct.

After messing with it......I am able to remove the float arm from the 96 XJ sender and install it into the 97+ XJ sender. 

Now the 97+ xj sender won't fit the 96XJ fuel pump at all.....So I am going to cut the sender bracket out of the 97+ assembly, screw to down to the modified 96 XJ pump, and then attached the 97+ sender with the 96XJ float arm.

I have to say, out of all of this fuel pump crap, I'm really not happy with the solution. Depending on how it works out I might have to revisit the fuel pump implementation. 

Slow progress, some things have been fighting me. 

One small step forward, fuel pump sender. 

Whoever said you could use the fuel pump sender from a 96 was smoking crack. The resistance ranges are completely wrong for the 97+ gauge cluster.

What I did was swap the float arm from the 96 XJ sender, since it seems to have the correct travel for the MJ tank, on to the 97+ sender, then I cut the mounting bracket off of the 97+ Xj pump body so it will hold the sender. Then I cut away some metal on the 96XJ sender mount to clear the XJ sender plastic. Then I mounted the XJ aluminum mount for the sender onto the 96Xj steel mount where the XJ sender was. 

So now the 97+ XJ sender is mounted in the 96XJ pump housing, which is bent to the right to clear the baffle.

I'm going to grab another 96XJ pump assembly, and then look at cleaning up my MJ sender, and hybridizing them with a 97+ sender to sit inside the baffle. But that will come later, I think I have a "get it running solution" right now.

IMG_7103.jpg
IMG_7104.jpg
IMG_7105.jpg
IMG_7106.jpg
IMG_7107.jpg

So I'm picking up this switch panel for the MJ:

MJ127.jpg

The 4 position panel I'm buying has the rear fog switch! So when I get this installed in the MJ I will have from left to right, Mirror defroster, Front fog, Ext Idle, Rear Fog.

Now, what is Ext idle and Rear fog you may ask? Good question! For those not aware the police version XJs came with a switch from the factory that raised the idle while the Jeep was running. There is a wire on the PCM that when grounded will raise the idle rpm up. Factory switches for the extended idle are very rare, maybe someday I will find one. But for now aftermarket will have to do. Aftermarket switches with custom text can be purchased relatively cheap. However the text on these switches is not illuminated like a factory switch is. 

Rear fog? Yup! Rear facing fogs are a common thing on european market vehicles, as in every vehicle has them. The rear fog switch is functionally the same as the front fog switch, however the icon is different. Front fog faces left, as in the above picture, and rear fog faces right. Subtle difference I know, but what it means is that I will have factory switches for forward facing fog lights and rear facing fog lights. 

I don't know exactly what I will control with the rear facing fog lights, might even just use it to control my backup LED flood pods at times other than reverse. But I have the option, and its going to be clean and factory like. I hate seeing holes drilled in random places for all sorts of mis matched and janky switches and wiring around. 

Other uses of the switch panel could be to have a switch that runs your cooling fan for awhile after shutoff, heat soak is definitely an issue for me and I tend to leave the jeep idling for awhile when I get to the top of a pass.

Small milestone today. Manage to get the engine to fire!

Finished up messing with the fuel system, got the fuel pump assembly in, fuel hose run, made up a connection for the front fuel hose. 

Had to solder a wiring harness onto the 96 XJ pump since the one I got from the junkyard someone had cut the wires off of. Tested it, not working, figured out I had no ground from a ground lug that should be back by the tail lights. Stuck the ground to the body pump fired right up. Tested float, fuel gauge reads. 

Having some battery issues having a good battery to crank it. Got a couple of jumper batteries on it and connect good and got it to turn over quickly. Got some firing to happen but not much, seems like it would get an initial catch and then nothing. 

Screwed around with it awhile with about the same results, some backfiring, etc. took a break to watch some tv with my dad before heading home for the night. After wards went back out and had the same thing happen, this time instead of him doing the throttle by hand I used my foot inside the cab to regulate the throttle. Manage to get it to catch and run without dying for a few seconds!

I quickly turned it off since it was 10pm and freaking loud without the exhaust all hooked up. 

One step closer. Still lots to do. Going to make another junkyard run Saturday morning and hopefully grab some interior bits, the bit I need for the parking brake to work, and maybe a new fuel rail. I have a leak at injector #1 and it seems that the injectors seems missing their retaining clip.

Small milestone. Manage to get the engine to fire!

Finished up messing with the fuel system, got the fuel pump assembly in, fuel hose run, made up a connection for the front fuel hose. 

Had to solder a wiring harness onto the 96 XJ pump since the one I got from the junkyard someone had cut the wires off of. Tested it, not working, figured out I had no ground from a ground lug that should be back by the tail lights. Stuck the ground to the body pump fired right up. Tested float, fuel gauge reads. 

Having some battery issues having a good battery to crank it. Got a couple of jumper batteries on it and connect good and got it to turn over quickly. Got some firing to happen but not much, seems like it would get an initial catch and then nothing. 

Screwed around with it awhile with about the same results, some backfiring, etc. took a break to watch some tv with my dad before heading home for the night. After wards went back out and had the same thing happen, this time instead of him doing the throttle by hand I used my foot inside the cab to regulate the throttle. Manage to get it to catch and run without dying for a few seconds!

I quickly turned it off since it was 10pm and freaking loud without the exhaust all hooked up. 

One step closer. Still lots to do. Going to make another junkyard run Saturday morning and hopefully grab some interior bits, the bit I need for the parking brake to work, and maybe a new fuel rail. I have a leak at injector #1 and it seems that the injectors seems missing their retaining clip.

Took a sick day from work and ran down to the junkyards to grab some things. Got a glove box, the a pillar trim, foot kick panels, 3 switch panel for fogs(someone took the switch but left the panel, but you can’t add the switch to the non fog panel. And I have the 4 switch panel coming anyways, so it’s more for the rarity and the use on the yellow Jeep. 

Got a shifter handle that is better, still no shifter bezel, it was already gone. ECU was gone, Jeep has been our 2-3 days and the ECU gets pulled right away!

I got the parking brake adjuster I needed, I installed it, but I need to tighten and adjust before the parking brake works, but it’s damm close!

So at this point I can continue putting together the interior, I can get the radiator and such installed. 

I got the exhaust pipe on to the cat, but I need to drill out some old bolts to get the cat to mount up now. Tomorrow I warranty a battery at Costco and I will have a fresh group 65 to start this thing with. Then I will get the cooling stack bolted up, fluids filled, and run it awhile. This is assuming the noise is reasonable with just a stock cat and no muffler. 

I got it to start and run much nicer, I think the timing was a little off. I made sure #1 was at TDC, verified it with the crank pulley notch, and then checked the cam pickup. The cam pickup wasn’t exactly right since I couldn’t skip the timing pin in. I loosened the holder bolt, took the Hall effect sensor off, and turned it a little until the timing pin went in. 

Now it starts right up and runs, a little rough and very loud. But It’s starting and running correct!

I had to replace all the injector o rings, and I was missing some retainer clips, and because of the missing clips and age some of the prints weee leaking.  Orielly has a set of new ones for like $6. I bought both sets they had in stock, one to use and then the next for when I fukked up. 

Coming together, hoping to have a bunch of pictures and video to share tomorrow, hopefully with it running.

Well I got it together enough yesterday to start filling fluids. Had a thermostat housing that refused to seal with just the paper gasket. 

The freeze plugs seeped some water at first but the stopped pretty quick. 

Seems to run fine, hvac box is working. 

Now the downside, transmission dumps fluid out the input area, just pouring out the bellhousing. So I think it’s fukked. Gonna goto junkyard tomorrow and try and get another aw4. All bolted in and running, but trans fukked. 

So I’m gonna pull the whole shebang back out to replace trans. Still pretty easy to drop out the bottom since there is no front end in the way. 

But just FML. It’s always something, it’s been really fighting me this past week, I basically spent since last Sunday night fighting the transmission. So at this point I’ve wasted about a week on the trans issues.

Got another aw4 from a 2000. Took about 3 hours. Pulled the engine trans and transfer case together then separated them on the ground. Easier than trying to pull the transmission only. 

Looked like the engine had been rebuilt, has brass freeze plugs and a lead seal stamped on one of the freeze plugs. 

So now I need to pressure wash the new used one, get the drivetrain back out, swap it in, and get everything back up in place. 

I’d really like to be moving on and working on other things like getting the doors on, or the front end built. So it’s a setback. It sure is a bummer start it up and immediately see that you will be pulling it back out.

Got the engine and trans dropped out of the MJ. Got the transfer case off and trans off. Sure enough the transmission input seal was bad.

Scored a couple of these at the junkyard today, Gentex ZTVHL3. Has 3 homelink garage door openers, auto dim, compass, and outside temp. Uses standard base so it can be added to many different vehicles. I'm still looking for a holy grail, all of the above with courtesy lights. 

IMG_7208.jpg

Pulled an engine/trans/transfer case from a 2000 XJ. Then took the transmission only. Also got a nice front driveshaft for $20. 

IMG_7209.jpg

And then pulled the engine/trans/transfer case from the MJ:

IMG_7210.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7212.jpg

Empty already:

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

This is what caused the leak, input seal ripped, likely would have been fine with a replaced seal, but I've gotten to the point where I don't trust this transmission and would just rather try another right now.

IMG_7217.jpg

New used transmission, need to pressure wash tomorrow and then get it hooked up, and hopefully back in and running by the end of the day.

IMG_7218.jpg

Sad to see it empty!

IMG_7219.jpg

I'd like to move on, get my driveshaft ordered, get the front end built and installed. And finish up with the seats, I have this seat heater kit waiting to be installed, and I have the electric bases to install. I'm looking forward to some of the more "fun" stuff like getting the interior together. I'm looking forward to having the interior complete and a Jeep I can sit in! (of course, if it doesn't drive it doesn't matter if its sits)

IMG_7221.jpg

Did a 10 minute break in, I'll do some more tomorrow.

Got the aftermarket high idle switch installed, but then I got to thinking about it. It does not have a backlight for the text when the headlight is on. But I realized you can swap the switch cover over to the OEM switch........so I realized I could install it on a spare fog switch. 

But then I got to looking, and realized I could also install it on a spare defroster switch......

The high idle works by grounding the ECU pin that tells the ECU to goto high idle. The fog switch, and the aftermarket switch work by providing 12V.....not ground. So you have to use the switch to turn on a relay, which instead of providing a larger 12V power source will provide a ground. This works fine, but its some complication.

However if I use a spare defroster switch and modify it with the new cover to set on instead of toggle.........So I have a defroster switch that simply toggles on, then on the back one of the wires provides ground! Normally when you press the defroster switch down it momentarily provides ground to set the timer relay. By modifying the defroster switch to stay on, NOT as a momentary pushbutton, when it is in the down position the ground is connected, up ground is off, so in effect I have reproduced the stock high idle switch! Pretty pumped about such a small thing, but its the details that get ya.

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

Switch down, continuity to ground:

IMG_7254.jpg

Switch up, open circuit:
IMG_7255.jpg

Moved it to a different spot to be closer to the stock wiring that I will use from the rear wiper.

IMG_7256.jpg

I had to modify the electric seat base to fit the rear floor of the MJ, the mount closest to the bottom of the frame was too low, and caused the seat to "rock" on the floor, a little bit of hammering and a the bracket fits like a glove. Next up I drill a plate to act as a load disperser on the bottom side. for bolting the seat down.

IMG_7257.jpg

Its Miller time! Miller moth that is, this is what I came out to when leaving my parents for the night.......and this was without any garage lights on, they come inside seeking warmth at night an congregate where its warmer. Heaven forbid you leave a light on even....

IMG_7258.jpg

So the other night when doing the break in after running it at high RPM I was looking around at the engine for leaks and such, my power steering was spitting a little fluid out as it was bleeding down air and such. So I was looking around that area when I noticed a giant red patch of ATF pooled on the intake manifold! WTF? 

So I get to looking around and I realize its not ATF, I was seeing a triangle shaped hole in the casting and behind that was a glowing hot exhaust manifold!

I managed to grab some pics, but it cooled off quick enough that I didn't get to grab a picture as the super red it was right after I stopped my break in run.

IMG_7246.jpg
IMG_7249.jpg

Got the hack n tap done last night. I need to measure and get my driveshaft ordered for the rear, hopefully I will get that done tonight.

IMG_7280.jpg

Going with this length I have 100% engagement of the splines on the transfer case:

IMG_7282.jpg

So big ticket items remaining:

-Set pinion angle and weld perches(likely get pinion pretty close tonight for purpose of drive shaft length measurement.

-Door latch modifications.

-Drop arm bracket install (need some new hardware and maybe some tweaks to install).

Front end:
-Gear setup.
-WJ Brake setup(weld spacers to knuckles is biggest part of this).
-HD steering setup.
-Track bar bracket and stabilizer
-Track bar(likely need custom length or adjustable)

Body wiring:
Cab interior, need to finish cleanup and strip down of XJ wiring. 
Body rear, need to decide how tail lights will be wired and how tail light wiring, fuel pump wiring, and trailer tow harness wiring will exit the MJ and reach the back.

Extra's: Need to run wiring for EXT IDLE, power for heated seats, power for electric seat bases. Need to decide how to control heated seats, I am wondering if its possible to use the XJ heated seat controller with the aftermarket heated elements. Need to research this possibility.

Need to drill hole for antenna to pass into cabin, should have done this before AC box and dash was in.....woops.

Work on interior install, body wiring being sorted is critical path now for the interior install.

Finish AC line install and check AC system for vac.

Finish Rear bumper grinding, decide on paint vs galvanized option.

11 hours ago, thecodemonk said:

That's an awesome solution to the high idle switch!

Thanks, I'm very pleased with it, its much better than having to use a relay to ground the switch. I'm going to de pin the rear window wiper connector and use the wiring from that for the high idle switch for the headlight glow and ground. then I just have one wire to solder and run through C100 and into the engine harness connector. I will install the pins into C100 in the factory location. Just trying to follow the factory install method as close as possible!