4 minutes ago, A-man930 said:

Haha, that was genuine curiosity; I've heard of nothing but issues with them in the Libertys.  That said, I hope your experience is better!  It should be a fun rig either way.  

In the meantime that stroker should fit the bill quite nicely.  :L:

I've had one of my CRDs since it was near new. Those of us that had them since new and treated them correctly have had good service out of them. People who did things wrong from the get go had issues. One of the most common issues was owners trusting Jeep and using the oil they spec'd out. Jeep recommended 0W10 Mobile one oil in them, a good oil for sure, but they wanted a thin oil to get the fuel economy numbers up there. 

It wasn't even a diesel rated oil. In europe they spec'd a diesel oil. There are a number of problems here in the US with worn rockers, in Europe that failure is almost non existent. 

Since new I've run 15W40 Delo Diesel oil in mine. At 150k(when my water pump failed), the rockers had zero wear on them. I've worked on engines with half as many miles that the rockers were shot. All from running the wrong oil in them.

You see issues, but lots of ignorance causes them. At the end of the day it was not a soccer mom vehicle, it was a vehicle for a person who understands what their are driving. A few cheap modifications made a world of difference. 

Again, the wrong oil was issue #1. I can't say I blame owners who followed what the manual said. But I had people arguing with me vehemently in the past about how my 15W40 Delo Diesel oil was the wrong oil and "its not even synthetic!". 14 years later and I'm still right, and those people probably don't own the vehicle anymore, likely because they had an oil related issue occur. At nearly 200k my turbo is still tight, rockers, good, and it pulls strong. And I have not used it lightly. Every stop light is a 1/4 mile drag for me. I've towed 5000lbs coast to coast, including the last tow my KJ CRD will ever do which was my Land Rover Defender back from Tacoma to Colorado with hardly breaking a sweat. 

I use vehicles hard, but I don't abuse them.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the CRD engine out last night:

IMG_6373.jpg
IMG_6374.jpg

I have the NV3550, I keep tossing around the idea of using it in the MJ..........but right now I'm more interested in getting this thing running and sticking with the AW4 is the fastest and easiest way to do that for now.

So then I pressure washed the engine bay, it got heavily degreased and cleaned years back, but there was a fair bit of accumulated dirt in the engine bay.

IMG_6375.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_6377.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

what's all that black splatter?

Dunno. Seems like its some sort of chemical reaction that occured with the paint or got on the paint, its not something that can be cleaned off.

So the engine bay is getting painted.

Ok, so it almost looks like I have gone back a step, but not really. I removed the hood, doors, steering box and steering shaft, these were all installed to get them out of the backyard/way, or so I could at least steer the bastard. 

IMG_6391.jpg
IMG_6393.jpg

So with these out of the way I could get back into finishing up the firewall modifications. 
IMG_6392.jpg

I found the engine harness, and kinda set it in place to check things out:
IMG_6394.jpg

And I found some other random stuff that I had been saving for this, seatbelts, wiper assembly, etc.

IMG_6395.jpg

So then I got back to the firewall mods. I had cut the section of firewall out of my donor jeep years back, so what I did was use a spot weld cutter to remove the outer thick bit of steel, and leave the thinner inner piece, I'm placing this on the inside and will use the couple of old bolt holes that held the rubber around the steering column, and the brake booster, to hold it in place. I will put some seam sealer around on it before putting it up, get it aligned, bolt it in place, and let it cure. This gives me what I need on the firewall for the newer steering column. I did a similar thing for the C101 plug area. Cut out the bit of metal it sealed to, and bolt it in place on the inside, then the rubber seal just pushes into the old hole with the newer adapter. Round peg in a square hole. It will also be seam sealed and bolted on.

IMG_6398.jpg
IMG_6400.jpg
IMG_6401.jpg
IMG_6403.jpg

Put back in the heater box to check fitment out, everything seems fine with it still. Been years but I did recall getting that part taken care of.
IMG_6404.jpg

I have one more hole I need to cut here. Not sure the size but its just a round ~1.5" hole that needs to be drilled in the upper corner.
IMG_6405.jpg

So I should be done with the firewall mods tomorrow night and have those in place, I have a few more mounting things in the engine bay I want to figure out before paint, like the fusebox/PDC, cruise control actuator, ECU bracket........ Who knows what else, I'll need to take a gander at the yellow XJ and see what else might be bolted down that I need to deal with.

Then the engine bay, cowl, and the windshield A pillars will get paint prepped and sprayed at the same time. It's tempting to want to do more at once since once you have paint out its easy to spray, but I need to pull back on the scope right now. Painting the engine bay now was a compromise I was willing to make since I know what color I wanted to paint it, and this way I wouldn't need to pull everything out in the future to paint it.

I have a couple of nutserts to put inside the cab for the center dash supports, the transmission tunnel to figure out what I need to modify for the newer console and ebrake setup.

I don't think I have anything funky to do for the 4wd shifter, just drill out the dimples where the bolts go through for the bracket......

Seat brackets are already in place, but the rear bolt will need to be marked and drilled.

Some electrical stuff will need to happen to get the windows to work without the rear windows plugged in. And something else will need to happen for the rear interior lights since there is no rear door switch.

I need to find headliner material so I can recover my headliner in the correct color.

Need to pull a D30HP, find my ZJ brake stuff, and get it converted. I need to buy some offset 1 ton TRES and such to get my HD steering going with the higher steer WJ knuckle.....but ruffstuff was out of the TREs for the kit I want, so that will need to wait.

So still lots to do. But I'm moving forward.

New gas tanks and new gas tank straps:

IMG_6425.jpg
IMG_6426.jpg

Using an eraser wheel to remove the pinstriping that needs to come off for paint.

IMG_6427.jpg
IMG_6428.jpg

Got the last firewall mod done, cut a 1.5" hole here for the wiring to pass through:
IMG_6429.jpg

Had to spot weld this corner, haven't used the spot welder in at least 5 years, and it sort of refused to work for me....that was annoying, But finally got it.

IMG_6430.jpg

Diesel Chilling with me:
IMG_6431.jpg

I went down to the junkyard today to start grabbing some random stuff I was missing. When I had my parts car I didn't bother keeping certain things because they would not be needed with the manual trans and diesel. So I had to grab those things. Lots of random little stuff I'm having to track down and grab again. 

Saw this on the way down while stopped at a gas station to get some drinks:
IMG_6454.jpg
IMG_6453.jpg
IMG_6455.jpg

That shed has been some $#!&.

Grabbed the dash sound deadening mat, initially I thought I would do some different stuff, but decided I should just stick with the stock mat:
IMG_6461.jpg

Grabbed a master cylinder, ZJ prop valve to work with the KJ rear disk setup. Cruise control actuator, vac lines. Trans kickdown cable that got broken when pulling the engine, auto shifter, shift cables, gas pedal/cable, and power steering pump.

Got lucky and scored a short overhead console from a 5.9 ZJ, which is perfect for the MJ since the XJ overhead console is too long for the MJ. 

IMG_6462.jpg
IMG_6463.jpg
IMG_6464.jpg

New Paint Gun!
IMG_6465.jpg

That engine is just dying to be installed;

IMG_6466.jpg

Short console from ZJ, and the mirror is an auto dimming mirror with outside temperature. There are other versions of this that also include courtesy lights and homelink garage door openers, plus a compass and temp, and the autodim, I need to figure out what vehicles to search for for those.
IMG_6467.jpg

Did some cleaning, getting things ready to install:

IMG_6485.jpg
IMG_6486.jpg
IMG_6487.jpg
IMG_6488.jpg
IMG_6489.jpg
IMG_6490.jpg
IMG_6491.jpg

So nice and clean!

Got the fuse box mount figured out after comparing to the Yellow jeep a few times:
IMG_6492.jpg
IMG_6494.jpg

Thought I was done drilling holes, turns out I needed to drill another for the auto shifter cable.
IMG_6496.jpg
IMG_6499.jpg
IMG_6500.jpg

Got the shifter assembly mocked up, looks like its all good to go, just need to screw it down.

Pressure washed more parts last night, I keep finding parts to pressure wash and cleanup. It's nice to work on not greasy and not dirty stuff all the time, but it does take away from functional work time.

That being said, even though I compromised on the diesel part of this project, I don't want to compromise on the rest of it. I really just want to do it once and do it right, whatever that means........though its all a balancing act at this point. 

I'm really looking forward to having a freshly painted engine bay, with all sorts of super clean new looking parts in it, clean engine, wiring, etc. 

Replacement bellhousing arrived. The one that came on the trans was cracked, which I couldn't see under the grease.

IMG_6509.jpg
IMG_6510.jpg
IMG_6511.jpg

Bellhousing on:
IMG_6512.jpg

So that's it for yesterday. Still need to do a few things in the engine bay, then paint prep starts! Also need to buy paint supplies again.

So I got the spot welder out to crimp back part of the firewall to cowl pinch seam that opened up a little when I modified it to clear the CRD intake.

IMG_6515.jpg

Then I got to seam sealing where I was putting in the newer firewall bits that I cut out for the steering column and C101 plug and bolted those up to cure.

IMG_6517.jpg
IMG_6518.jpg
IMG_6521.jpg
IMG_6523.jpg

Put some new seam sealer in where the old stuff had cracked/shrunk:
IMG_6524.jpg
IMG_6529.jpg
IMG_6531.jpg
IMG_6526.jpg
IMG_6533.jpg

Mounted on the inside:
IMG_6534.jpg

So firewall is complete. 2 remaining modifications I know of in the engine bay, washer tank filler neck/mounts, and mount for evap solenoid. I will get those done tonight, review anything else by looking at the Yellow Jeep, and then start on primer for the engine bay. 

Got the Windshield Washer tank mounted. The 97+ tank is under the fender, but starting in 1995 the metal was punched out for it, so no MJ has it already.

Hole saw and then slotted with the grinder. 
IMG_6569.jpg
IMG_6570.jpg
IMG_6571.jpg
IMG_6572.jpg
IMG_6573.jpg

This hole had to be blocked, I realized one of the plugs already in the firewall was a perfect fit, 1-1/4". Just need to get another to replug the firewall.
IMG_6574.jpg
IMG_6575.jpg

Final scrub of the engine bay before primering:
IMG_6576.jpg
IMG_6577.jpg

Also pressure washed the inside out:
IMG_6578.jpg
IMG_6579.jpg
IMG_6580.jpg

New stainless brake lines finally arrived, There are some for the rear and from the prop valve to the rear that I don't think I will be using, but they came in the kit.....so I guess I use them on something else, or see if they can be adapted at all for my needs with the disk 8.25.

IMG_6600.jpg
IMG_6601.jpg

****ty photo, but sanded A pillars, body part of the cowl, firewall, inner fenders, etc.
IMG_6604.jpg
IMG_6605.jpg

Drying, then spraying primer tomorrow.

I have to drive down to Denver to pickup paint, since the local Finishmaster is closed due to covid. Picking up the red base and the clear coat. So I guess that means spraying it saturday morning, then trying to get it curing in the sun ASAP, and then probably waiting a few days to install engine bay stuff.

I might spray some sound deadening while the engine bay paint cures. Fresh paint is very easy to scratch and mar, and installing things like wire harnesses will do lots of that.

Going with PR4 Flame Red. This is the aesthetic I am going for:

red_freedom1.JPG

I got my paint today, then swung by the junkyard since I saw a 96XJ was just put out and the fuel pump should work in my MJ tank. Turns out that XJ also had a lift. Got drop brackets, lower control arm, swaybar drop bracket, and fuel pump for $65.

YJTZ1055.jpg

Then I got home and did a final wipe of the engine bay for dust, then started spraying primer. Started with self etching primer for the areas with bare metal, which is the sort of greenish primer, then sprayed some high fill on areas where the paint was flaky and had imperfections, which is the more white looking primer.

IMG_6627.jpg
IMG_6628.jpg
IMG_6629.jpg
IMG_6630.jpg
IMG_6631.jpg
IMG_6632.jpg
IMG_6633.jpg
IMG_6634.jpg
IMG_6635.jpg
IMG_6636.jpg

Now for the drop bracket, haven't IDed the maker yet on these, but they are fairly pricey to buy. The coils had a PN that a google search shows to be 3" lift springs.

https://colorado4wheel.com/images/1988_MJ/build/content/images/large/IMG_6637.jpg/img]
IMG_6638.jpg
IMG_6640.jpg
IMG_6643.jpg

The timing of the drop brackets and coils is excellent, Ive been putting off ordering something because I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do for suspension, but now that I picked this up I'm going to use it. One bit of good luck that I will happily take right now.

I bought a 160amp alternator with a 20% off, it turns out its the wrong year. All the stuff you see online about this says you can use up to a 2003 Durango 160 amp alternator. This is not correct, 2001 is the last year of the 5.9L 160 amp Durango alternator you can use. Ended up buying one locally from Autozone with a lifetime warranty. 

No way this one was going to work:
IMG_6661.jpg
IMG_6662.jpg
IMG_6663.jpg

This is the paint I am using, Omni Plus basecoat, and Axalta Chromebase "4 to 1" Clear.

The base coat gets mixed 1:1 with the base and reducer. The clear gets mixed 4:1 clear coat to "activator" The activator is just basically reducer and hardener mixed together.

IMG_6660.jpg

Correct one:
IMG_6665.jpg
IMG_6666.jpg
IMG_6667.jpg
IMG_6668.jpg

Needs some trimming to fit. I guess I'll work on that tomorrow.
IMG_6669.jpg
IMG_6670.jpg

Put it on jackstands to lower a bit and get the wheels out of the way of overspray:
IMG_6671.jpg
IMG_6672.jpg
IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg
IMG_6680.jpg

Basecoat:
IMG_6683.jpg
IMG_6684.jpg
IMG_6685.jpg
IMG_6686.jpg

First full coat of clear:
IMG_6691.jpg
IMG_6689.jpg

Final coat #4:
IMG_6695.jpg
IMG_6697.jpg
IMG_6698.jpg
IMG_6699.jpg
IMG_6700.jpg
IMG_6701.jpg

So the paint turned out decent, more orange peel than I would like, and more runs. Its been something like 8 years since I have painted anything, and this is entirely new paint, so I'm a little out of practice with this. 

Still, its good enough for the engine bay, and the visible bits would look very smooth with a bit of wetsand as the orange peel is minimal.

Rolled it out into the sun to help the paint bake in the heat. I had the garage turned up to 80 overnight, but full sun will really get metal hot and help it bake.

It looks fukkin amazing out in the sun. Indoors the color looks dark, more like a cardinal red, but out in the sunlight.......main it really pops. Been in love with this color, PR4 - Flame Red, for 20 years. Dennis I think your JK is Flame Red as well IIRC.

IMG_6707.jpg
IMG_6708.jpg
IMG_6709.jpg
IMG_6710.jpg
IMG_6711.jpg
IMG_6712.jpg
IMG_6713.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg
IMG_6715.jpg
IMG_6716.jpg
IMG_6718.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg
IMG_6722.jpg
IMG_6723.jpg

Time to pressure wash again. I pulled a HP D30 today, 04 WK Akebono calipers and brackets, extended bump stops, and carbon canister and lines. 
IMG_6724.jpg
IMG_6725.jpg
IMG_6726.jpg

Grabbed the track bar with the axle, mostly because I couldn't find the track bar brackets I've had saved forever, so I needed that. Track bar looks pretty new and in good shape, so I guess I can use that, unless I need to get an adjustable one.

IMG_6727.jpg

Thanks!

I dug out my spray on sound deadener, I ordered 10 gallons of this stuff in 2009 and was using it on my dads van extensively, I have had this unopened 5 gallon batch in the basement for a long time, I opened it to check it out and its still look good, just needs to be mixed up. So I'll be spraying that inside the cab tonight.

IMG_6774.jpg
IMG_6776.jpg

Then I masked off to spray the frame rails and cross member black:
IMG_6777.jpg
IMG_6778.jpg
IMG_6779.jpg
IMG_6782.jpg

I got the 160 amp alternator to fit last night, lots of grinding, and some of the alternator too, but its in place now! Pics of it finalized later.

7 hours ago, onebigmj said:

That engine bay looks absolutely amazing. You forget how bright and beautiful PR4 is until you see it fresh and clean like that. 

Yes, fresh paint is always nice, and this is a color that really pops in the sun. 

Got to spraying the sound deadener tonight, I'll do some more coats tomorrow and then call it good. 

Floor looks kinda dirty, combination of UV fading POR15, overspray etc. Cleaned it up before spraying.

IMG_6789.jpg

Cleaned up the old foam around the shifters so the spray will stick there. Taped off the holes going to the engine bay to keep the sound deadener from getting sprayed all around. on the fresh paint.

IMG_6790.jpg

IMG_6791.jpg

IMG_6792.jpg

IMG_6793.jpg

IMG_6794.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6805.jpg

Did some sound deadener in the wheel wells as well. 

IMG_6825.jpg

Some of the original firewall plugs were Caplugs from buffalo NY, this set I bought on Amazon also has some from them. Sort of fitting that a plug made in 1987 and a plug made in 2019 will find its way onto the MJ.

IMG_6827.jpg

Butyl sound deadener:

IMG_6828.jpg
IMG_6829.jpg

Did a couple of more coats of the spray on Quietcoat, then started on the mat:

IMG_6830.jpg

I ended up putting a piece in the oven after making a pizza, it made it nice and warm which means soft and easy to apply, but cooled down quick since the body metal was in the lower 60s while pressing it down. Using the warm oven worked great to heat them up and make them easy to apply. This is as much as I will do for now, and will switch to installing the dash and engine bay stuff. I want to get the engine installed! 

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6836.jpg

The sound deadener is water based, so any place it can be exposed to water it needs to be coated to prevent contact, so I sprayed rubberized undercoating in several light coats to cover the sound deadener.

Plus, I cannot imagine the $#!& I would get if I painted it red.
IMG_6837.jpg
IMG_6838.jpg

Having a blast working on this. So glad to be bringing this project back home again. Been too @#$%ing long. I miss doing epic builds like this all the time.

Maybe I missed it in your thread here but I see it looks like you have xj seat mounts in your mj. Did you cut them from a parts jeep or did you find a set of aftermarket mounts? I'm planning to put xj seats in my son's comanche and just trying to see how best to do it.

Btw, truck is looking awesome. Lots of inspiration in here to use towards our build.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, CPH-0628 said:

Maybe I missed it in your thread here but I see it looks like you have xj seat mounts in your mj. Did you cut them from a parts jeep or did you find a set of aftermarket mounts? I'm planning to put xj seats in my son's comanche and just trying to see how best to do it.

Btw, truck is looking awesome. Lots of inspiration in here to use towards our build.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I cut the floor section from my donor XJ, and then use a spot weld cutter standing at my bench to drill out the spot welds. You have to cut a section in the middle to clear the ridge on the MJ floor, and remove a side brace from the MJ floor.