So I got this tranny........

Now this is a ax-5 right?? And I can put it behind my 4.0 right? It came out a 4.0.. Correy said it could be done.. How can I tell its a ax-5?? And here's pictures of it for future reference:

?

?

Will my cps fit???

?

?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Input........

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Output..........

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

?

?

The reverse switch shouldnt be a problem should it???

?

?

Image Not Found

?

?

And will my mech speedo gear fit ???

?

?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Now this is a ax-5 right?? And I can put it behind my 4.0 right? It came out a 4.0.. Correy said it could be done.. How can I tell its a ax-5?? And here's pictures of it for future reference:

Will my cps fit???

The reverse switch shouldnt be a problem should it???

And will my mech speedo gear fit ???

The AX-15 is the one that came from behind a 4.0L. The AX-5 goes to the 2.5/2.8

Yes, it looks like an external AX-15 to me

Yes, your CPS will work

If your current backup switch has a different plug, just splice in yours.

Yes your mechanical speedo should work, but you may need to swap shafts on the gears.

Sweet!!!... Thanks guys.. I know it was behind a 4.0l... so it is a ax-15.. plus yes Pete your right it does have an external slave. I guess alls good then!! I hope this helps some poor smuck like "I" one day...

:yeah that: Every thing Pete said :brows:

And Here's a little "How-to" I booked marked years ago :D

But......you Need to get a new clutch kit for the AX-15, your BA10 clutch will not work.

Sweet... and crap.. I have to get a new clutch... poop...

Well I guess if I'm there should go ahead and change it huh!!

Thanks Wildman..

Hey I never said it was an Ax-5...I believe I said it was an AX-15. After piddling around under the blue truck today, that is definitly a 2wd Ax-15.

My bad... I really don't know where the 5 came from.. all both of us said was ax... lol :D

But its all good....G jamminz.gif

Yes......while you got it a part, that's the time to do the clutch, you'll hate me latter if you put it all together and the in 2 weeks the old clutch blows out.

That.....plus, the BA10 clutch/pressure plate don't fix the AX15.

HERE'S a link to a place in your backyard :D

Other's have links to good clutch suppliers too.

The bottom line is, you'll have a much better transmission, the external slave, and a brand new clutch all ready to go comanche.gif

Yes......while you got it a part, that's the time to do the clutch, you'll hate me latter if you put it all together and the in 2 weeks the old clutch blows out.

That.....plus, the BA10 clutch/pressure plate don't fix the AX15.

HERE'S a link to a place in your backyard :D

Other's have links to good clutch suppliers too.

The bottom line is, you'll have a much better transmission, the external slave, and a brand new clutch all ready to go comanche.gif

I planned on changing it, but I didnt know they were different...

I was mostly worried about the cps fitting.. but Pete set me at ease on that.

I just looked up the part # shown here and it says that it is an AX-15 from a '94 - '96 XJ 2wd.

Thanks,, The guy that sold it to me said I could get another master, slave, and one piece line for a good price from the dealer.. Whats the list price on that? I'll have to get a slave. The tranny didnt come with one,, but I just replaced my master, I don't see why I can't use the master I have now....

If you get the clutch hydraulic assembly from the dealer (me ;) ), it will come as a completely assembled system...master, slave & line with fluid already in it. All you do is bolt it in and drive.

Full retail on it will be in the $190 range. Your price through me... $127 plus shipping. The part number is 52104110 if you wish to check in to it locally.

You will have to go aftermarket if you want the slave only.

If you get the clutch hydraulic assembly from the dealer (me ;) ), it will come as a completely assembled system...master, slave & line with fluid already in it. All you do is bolt it in and drive.

Full retail on it will be in the $190 range. Your price through me... $127 plus shipping. The part number is 52104110 if you wish to check in to it locally.

he said that it comes with fluid too.. is that so??

I don't have anything in writing to prove the "with fluid" part, but I have sold and installed several.

Look at this writeup again (same as posted above)...paying special attention to Night #5 if you did not catch it ... http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

Well crap.. I just put a brand spankin new MC on the ol girl........

oh yeah I'll need a pilot bearing too right?
Yes...but I am not sure of the one needed. I have heard that there is one for the CJ's that works, but I am not sure. If memory serves...I believe Pete is the one that posted something about knowing which one it is in another thread one time.

he said that it comes with fluid too.. is that so??

Yes, that's correct. It's because they're such a nuisance to bleed, this saves the shop techs a lot of wasted time. Just be VERY careful to route the line as far away from the exhaust manifold as you possibly can, because it's plastic and it can (and does) melt. The results are not pretty.

oh yeah I'll need a pilot bearing too right?
Yes...but I am not sure of the one needed. I have heard that there is one for the CJ's that works, but I am not sure. If memory serves...I believe Pete is the one that posted something about knowing which one it is in another thread one time.

That Jeep tech page Wildman posted said he used a 73 CJ-5 from a 304.. I looked on rockauto and only thing I saw was a bushing...

I don't have anything in writing to prove the "with fluid" part, but I have sold and installed several.

Look at this writeup again (same as posted above)...paying special attention to Night #5 if you did not catch it ... http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

Now that I know you did :D

After you used my discount :D

If no one else want the MC, I'll buy it from you for a spair :brows:

Gee......glad I found that little how-to for ya ;)

BLHTAZ, Quoted you this-

Your price through me... $127 plus shipping. The part number is 52104110 if you wish to check in to it locally.

That's about $20 less than Rockauto, but the one from Rock is "pre-filled"???

Now that I know you did :D

After you used my discount :D

If no one else want the MC, I'll buy it from you for a spair :brows:

Gee......glad I found that little how-to for ya ;)

BLHTAZ, Quoted you this-

Your price through me... $127 plus shipping. The part number is 52104110 if you wish to check in to it locally.

That's about $20 less than Rockauto, but the one from Rock is "pre-filled"???

Well probably get a slave from Rock and make my own line.. or use the one from the ba-10 and make the end work... IDK yet,, but you know you have dibs if I do just go OEM..

Yea, Pete just posted last week about the 'hardware' store fitting to make the external slave work with the existing MC line.

I don't blame you.....the cost of the AX-15, now a clutch kit......it's like your Just Empty Ever Pocket for this up grade :teehee:

Yea, Pete just posted last week about the 'hardware' store fitting to make the external slave work with the existing MC line.

I don't blame you.....the cost of the AX-15, now a clutch kit......it's like your Just Empty Ever Pocket for this up grade :teehee:

Good thing I have a job now!!! jamminz.gif

My plan is to ride the ba-10 til she blows,, which from the noise it makes won't be long.. :D