I can't believe what followed me home today.

mfpdm

I was surfing craiglist at work and stubbled across a listing for a 86 MJ for $500 OBO. Picture looked ok and had a problem with the engine. I figure what the hell I'll call on it. After talking with him and setting up a time to look at it, I developed the shakes and a cold sweat. Couldn't stay focus on work and noticed the clock was going very slow. Well I finally got off work and went to look at it.

Well long story short, look what followed me home.

86 Comanche X, 2wd, 2.5 4 cyl, 5 spd, AC, D35, and bucket seats.

Needs some TLC but the body is rust free with the exception of surface rust on the bed rails and taligate due to the camper shell. Interior needs cleaned up. I couldn't believe the engine bay was so clean. So I decided to throw the battery in and give it a try. Fired right up but was running a little rough. Then I noticed that one of the plug wires was off. Hooked it up and fired it up again to hear it run smooth. AC clutch is making some noise. So I said what the heck and took it for a little test drive. Shifted smooth, and had decent power. It started to smoke a little so back into the driveway. It's started blowing oil around the valve cover. I'll give it a good going over this weekend and see if there is truely something wrong with the engine. Anyhow I figured it wasn't bad for $300. :brows:

Is there a pill for this addiction?

:cheers:

Super find. You might could find a similar model in WI for those $$, but this one looks like it won't explode if you turned a pressure washer to it. Has it been a VA rig all it's life? Looks great! :cheers:

Super find. You might could find a similar model in WI for those $$, but this one looks like it won't explode if you turned a pressure washer to it. Has it been a VA rig all it's life? Looks great! :cheers:

ah.

wisconsin.

love it!

found another one here btw...

back to topic, i think it should stay a 4 cylinder. let's make this a poll!

nice find!

benefit...you've got a spare motor :P

what're the plans?

Yeah the spare motor thought was what I was thinking when I found out it was a 2.5. Believe it or not, I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the one in it. It sounded better than the one out of the 88.

Far as plans, right now I thinking of a couple of options,

1 Kept it stock, fix the motor, and DD it.

2 Same as one, except maybe sell it for a bit of a profit to put into the 88.

3 Same as one, but after the 88 is done, do a 97+ front and interior swap.

4 Part it out and make a small amount of profit. (don't believe this will happen)

:laughin:

Not sure, but I would say it's had a southern life without salt.

I thinking with gas prices, it will stay a 4cyl.

nice find!

benefit...you've got a spare motor :P

what're the plans?

Yeah the spare motor thought was what I was thinking when I found out it was a 2.5. Believe it or not, I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the one in it. It sounded better than the one out of the 88.

Far as plans, right now I thinking of a couple of options,

1 Kept it stock, fix the motor, and DD it.

2 Same as one, except maybe sell it for a bit of a profit to put into the 88.

3 Same as one, but after the 88 is done, do a 97+ front and interior swap.

4 Part it out and make a small amount of profit. (don't believe this will happen)

if 4, i could use a bed...

or i could use a whole truck...my dad needs a new chassis for the turbo diesel Mj since his is irreperable...

pm?

ah. wisconsin. love it! found another one here btw...

Agree. Would make a great semi-economical D/D w. what looks like minimal work.

Yeah, I rag WI, but spent a lot of time there in my Navy days while in and out of Great Lakes. Best liberty in the States up in Milwakee and Kenosha. And when you're tired of the liberal ladies, some of the best fishin' in the country. The winters suck though........ 8)

Yeah, I rag WI, but spent a lot of time there in my Navy days while in and out of Great Lakes. Best liberty in the States up in Milwakee and Kenosha. And when you're tired of the liberal ladies, some of the best fishin' in the country. The winters suck though........ 8)

i'm tired of liberals before i even meet them.

not to say i'm conservative. everyone whines too much, all politics suck. it's a shame they are needed to run the country.

Never once did I have to visit the Great Lakes. Being a Ping Jockey, all my training was in San Diego. Winters are great there. :D

if 4, i could use a bed...

or i could use a whole truck...my dad needs a new chassis for the turbo diesel Mj since his is irreperable...

pm?

I'll keep you in mind if it comes down to number 4.

Never once did I have to visit the Great Lakes. Being a Ping Jockey, all my training was in San Diego. Winters are great there. :D

Boot camp, A, B and C schools all at the Lakes. Was an FT on the boats.

But as CDR JeepCo says, back on topic. Was this a local Chesapeake buy? One of the best deals I've seen - lived in the AO for many years. If you're going to try to turn it over, it seems that it wouldn't take much to make your money back at least X3, or maybe X4. With the gas $$ as it is and as it will only get worse, the 4 banger MJ is a good option. Interested in what you find when you get into it. Hope you find no major snags. :D

Was this a local Chesapeake buy? One of the best deals I've seen - lived in the AO for many years. If you're going to try to turn it over, it seems that it wouldn't take much to make your money back at least X3, or maybe X4. With the gas $$ as it is and as it will only get worse, the 4 banger MJ is a good option. Interested in what you find when you get into it. Hope you find no major snags. :D

I got it over in Portsmouth, roughly 20 miles away. Was going to tow it with the TJ but it was a little farther than I liked, plus I didn't want to go over the high rise bridge with it in rush hour traffic. Far as turning it over, I figured with a good cleaning and fixing the little things and leaving the motor as is, I could 2X my money. An 86 was not my most desired year, nor white, nor a long bed, but it's starting to grow on me already.

Option 5 Drop in a V8 and make it a sleeper street MJ. :brows: (that's if gas doesn't go to $5 a gallon)

Cleaned it up today to see what I really had. A little soap and water.

Took a full large trash can of junk out of it.

Pulled the door panel to swap mirrors and found this,

It's the original build sheet.

Then I taught I found well, just look.

Had me excited for a second. :roll:

Dang, the cap alone is worth $300.

What model is it supposed to be? I never saw one with bucket seats, sport steering wheel, "hockey stick" armrests ... and idiot lights.

Great deal!

I have that steering wheel, buckets and "hockey stick" arm rests. But I have full gauges minus tach.

I believe those pin stripes indicate a maaco paint job, so at least one repaint in it's life, but I could be wrong on that.

I have that steering wheel, buckets and "hockey stick" arm rests. But I have full gauges minus tach.

I believe those pin stripes indicate a maaco paint job, so at least one repaint in it's life, but I could be wrong on that.

You are correct. Well at least the bed was a different color. When cleaning it up I found this,

I'm going to decifer the build sheet and find out for sure what it originally was.