Thank you to Pete

Not just for making this place possible.

I bought the red '88 MJ in November of 1999 and put it on the road about a year later. It has ALWAYS had a leak -- the driver's footwell fills up with water any time it rains harder than a heavy fog. This probably explains why the carpet had been removed when I bought it and there was no floor on the driver's side.

I've had no luck figuring out where the leak originated. I had pretty much convinced myself it must be the windshield -- except that the leak was obviously on-going, and I had to replace the cracked windshield when I registered the truck for the first time. The guys who did it have done multiple windshields for me, and they NEVER screw up. So as an experiment, during a heavy rain over the past weekend I put an old shower curtain over the cab, ran it down to the cowl and clamped it in place with the wiper arms. The windshield was completely protected ... and the footwell filled up with water.

Pete has mentioned tracing leaks in one of his, and it sounded like a similar place so I've exchanged a couple of PMs with Pete about exactly where his leak was. He said something about "gaskets" where things go through the firewall. Hmmmm ... so this afternoon, I popped the hood on the MJ, and on the '88 XJ parked right alongside. And what to my wondering eyes did appear? Well, what did NOT appear before my wondering eyes is a body plug in a hole about 1" in diameter through the firewall right next to the clutch master cylinder. The hole is factory -- the XJ has it, too, but the XJ has a body plug in the hole.

If Pete hadn't said the magic woid, I probably would have looked at that hole another hundred times, seen the rubber pad behind it, and assumed that's the way it's supposed to be. Now, I believe I've found my leak, and I'm about to head off to AutoZone to see if they have body plugs in that size (or in an assortment).

If that's all that was causing 8 years of aggravation, I may just have to shoot myself.

We're not the only ones chasing down weird leaks. I'm dealing with that on the Grand Marquis and would probably never EVER found the culprit if it wasn't for a Vic/Marquis/TC club site.

Long live the internet! jamminz.gif

Neither AutoZone nor Pep Boys nor Advanced Auto had body plugs -- or even knew that I was talking about. But ... AutoZone did have in the "HELP!" aisle a GM master cylinder cover gasket that looked like the right size. I bought it, hauled it home, and it IS the right size.

For the first time in years, I am actually looking forward to the next rainy day. Dang, if this works I'll be psyched to put the correct transfer case shifter in and see about carpet.

Woo-hoo!

If that's all that was causing 8 years of aggravation, I may just have to shoot myself.

Hey I was shot once by somebody else w/ a 6.52. Hurt like H3LL and left a big scar. In other words... No Fun At All.

I power washed the engine bay of the truck I bought from wahoo in prep for some work, I hate stinky greasy goo. Found water on both the driver and passenger floor. :???: Just went out and looked sure enuff there are grommets missing in the firewall on both sides. Guess I'll check out Tractor Supply and see if they have any. I think we can split them with a razor knife for the holes w/ harness or cables coming thru and clear RTV them in place.

Just kidding, Pete.

Seriously, finding a gaping hole through the firewall where there should have been a body plug certainly seemed like a viable suspect as the source of my chronic leak. However -- it's a Jeep, so nothing ever goes quite as expected. We received some rain last night, I went out late morning and opened the driver's door expecting to find a dry floor, and found ... a lake. :cry:

Back to square one.

I did notice when I popped the hood that, although there was no water running down lear where the new plug in the hole is, there did appear to be water running toward and possibly under the VIN plate -- which on the '88 MJ is mounted to the upper firewall near the hood hinge. The VIN plate is not in that location on my '88 XJ. That gets me wondering why they would move it ... unless it was a problem. It's only held on with two pop rivets, and I'll bet there's no sealant under it. So when the rain ends and things dry out, I think I'll drill out the rivets, relocate the VIN plate to where it is on the XJ, seal up the original holes and see if that makes a difference.

In my truck the vent windows leak. that is why my carpets get so nasty or door panels get moldy. I am hoping that once I put my newer set of doors on I won't have so much trouble.

Just an idea, look in your windshield wiper cavity, maybe something in there is plugged or not plugged? good luck with the search.

baby powder...

Under the hood ... or under the dash?

I would probably sprinkle it around in the dash area where we thought the leak was before. The water will make some unmistakable trails through it. :D

And the floor thing was in my Dakota. Water was puddling under the passenger side footwell but originating from the middle of the back of the cab. Quite a journey I'd say. I doubt I would ever have figured it out without the baby powder.