Spring over

I am not anywhere near ready to lift my Jeep yet, I'm still working on making it a reliable DD.

But, eventually I will.

So since an XJ is spring over (I believe), what all is involved in doing a SOA on an MJ using an XJ axle?

Is it easier than using the MJ axle, cutting off the spring mounts and welding on new perches?

Also, since our springs are meant to sit below the axle, how bad of a problem is axle wrap with the axle sitting below the springs?

The spring perches on the XJ are not the correct width for the MJ. So either way your going to have to cut the perches off and weld new one's on.

You can get bolt on kits for spring over if you don't want to weld.

As for axle wrap; get a longer set of perches and they help prevent it.

i just SOA'd my MJ and used some standard spring perches...I don't have any problem with axle wrap on mine

That's likely because of your springs condition. Spring wrap comes up commonly because it s EASY way to lift. Many trucks lifted this way are saggin... IE the springs are SHOT ALREADY. Take a shot spring and spring over it, where the rotational forces are grater and WALA, you got yourself some SPRING WRAP BABY!!!

Many many factory vehicles use a spring over setup with little to know problems. Longer perches DO HELP.

CW

Hey I like my 1988 springs, nice and soft = flexy. Actually they could have been replaced at some time, they were always really tall. Anyways I do not get spring wrap either but then again I never burnout with my 33's. As for off-road I've never experienced any spring wrap

My '87 has a SOA (It's easier with an MJ axle since you don't really have to cut the old pads off! Just buy/make new ones and weld them on!) and the stock springs make it handle like a rocket sled on rails!

It's funny as hell watching people try to follow me around the curve on the I-405 S bound to I-520 E bound with their "hot" cars. Most won't make it (CRUNCH!) or spin out unless they slow down. I can take it at 50 no prob dry and 35 wet (posted 25 mph for a reason)

Before I truggy'd Pong, I experienced spring wrap with brand new Alcans. I think the key to not experiencing it is to leave the skinny pedal alone... especially in high traction low momentum situations. For the most part the Only time I experienced it was when I was trying to go up steep slick rocks :nuts: