What would you pay for a factory diesel XJ?

mfpdm

2.1 litre Renault diesel, or Turbo Diesel.

Might be nice to have simply for the rarity in the States. They are very common export models in Europe and the Middle East. But I'd pass; the engine is a stone, unreliable, and a parts nightmare. Parts are hard to find and expensive. And diesel fuel cost is crazy too. Love to have a diesel MJ, but a conversion, not the Renault.

Might be nice to have simply for the rarity in the States. They are very common export models in Europe and the Middle East. But I'd pass; the engine is a stone, unreliable, and a parts nightmare. Parts are hard to find and expensive. And diesel fuel cost is crazy too. Love to have a diesel MJ, but a conversion, not the Renault.

eh. my dad daily drives a renault 2.1 comanche. it's a pretty reliable vehicle most of the time. the only bad factor is replacing the starter...which goes bad often.

other than that, it's not a big problem. he's gotten up to 35mpg with it, and it's 4wd with 5 speed, 4.10 gears, and AMC20 rear.

Well, the guy got sniped in the last 30 secs. $2524, not totally unreasonable but more than what I'd spend on a 28 year old diesel. Like hornbrod said, it would be nice to have because of it's rarity but I figured out the savings over regular gas and it's not a lot with diesel at $4.20 a gallon. Oh well, there are more fish in the sea. :brows:

:cheers:

eh. my dad daily drives a renault 2.1 comanche. it's a pretty reliable vehicle most of the time. the only bad factor is replacing the starter...which goes bad often.

other than that, it's not a big problem. he's gotten up to 35mpg with it, and it's 4wd with 5 speed, 4.10 gears, and AMC20 rear.

The AMC20 sounds good. :cheers:

the 2,1L TD is not a bad motor, but they haven´t many HorsePower..

you can install a motor from a newer renault. (renault 21 / 25 or safrane)

the last version of this motor have ca 130 HP

here a google translation from the mods for a swap:

XJ 2.1 TD - Adaptation engine on X J 2.1 TD
Let me give you a big all modifications to be made to adapt an engine of R21 type J8S 604 in place of a block cherok type J8S 890, knowing that basis, the j8s, is almost identical.

-- Change the oil pump
-- Changing the crankcase oil
-- Change the position of the gauge oil
-- Change water pump
-- Change water pipes that run along the right side block.
-- Changing the temperature of water (calibration does not necessarily correspond to the indicator on the dashboard!)

-- Changing pulleys end of the crankshaft (draw well in the axis, if difficult to remove, especially the gable distribution), the opportunity to change the belt distribution and other!

-- Change the position of the body of turbo (depending on model! Not possible at all!) Unscrewing 2 vis 10 on the body side admission (Part alu) and hit with a wedge of wood and conviction! to rotate on its axis. A softer alternative is to remove the ring around the body of the compressor, but I am not here!

-- Changing the flywheel, although it is primarily the appearance that guided me, because I have the impression that they are the same coasts, in some cases, it is possible to recover the clutch mechanism, but not the hard, specific chérok (some companies can replenish the hard-to-1 fee (340 F), but check her condition, knowing that you lose soft)

-- Changing the support of oil filter (depending on model, integrated or not the bloc)

-- Sometimes change or drilling and tapping media bearing crankshaft, to screw the screws crankcase oil. (R25)

Important

Many Renault engine from 1990 are mounted with screws torx, it is imperative to install a corresponding quality tools!

Torx screws of the oil pump are very hard to remove, as well as those of tensioner belt, I was obliged to be heated.

Personally, I have not recovered the torxs, I preferred to back the screws hexagonal my old block.

Also important, the engine mounts are different, there must be a blow to tap into the holes correspondents, in fact 2 on 6, also imperative to use a really good tap into 10x150
Just to ensure cleanliness and good form of thread. Do not neglect this point!

Naturally, some joints are often replaced; the crankcase oil, pipes admissions and exhausts, often the output crankshaft, and so on.) Anti-type engine oil leakage W… gave very good results.
The breech is sometimes equipped with injectors screwed, injection pressures are higher (160 bars instead of 130), but I found that the engine becomes more rough.

Some injection pumps have a cold (cold start) pneumatic and electric depression, itself controlled by a probe, quite take if possible.

The blocks of R25, especially space and safrane with variable geometry turbo that are really higher torque at low rpm and approval engine, must be able to climb without too many problems.

Basically, count 2 working days for the stripping and rhabillage very own full blocks once deposited.

I would have to allow for replacing the engine. The Renault power plant is notorious for blowing up and expen$ive parts. I'd do a Nissan TD33 or Toyota 2LT in a heartbeat! (The Toy will bolt to an AX-15 or AW4. The Nissan was used with Dodge 727 and a version of the AW4 in Nissan Maxima station wagons till '84)