Transmission won't go into gear

Just bought an 88 Comanche, 2.5L, 5-speed. It is very hard to get into gear, like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Once moving it doesn't shift to bad. Pedal feels pretty good, not slopy. Is there any kind of adjustment? Any ideas? Also what tranny should this be?(AX-5)

I had a similar problem. mine turned out to be that the plastic piece on the shifter that lines up in the forks was broken and got wedged in front of the forks. Try shifting into neutral when comming to a stop, then go into 3rd b4 going into 1st, this will line up the forks until you can tear into the tranny to fix the problem. It also makes shifting feel less sloppy when its working right.

just my 2 cents...

Bled the clucth, no difference. If you start the truck with the clutch depressed it will go into gear no problem. Just when you stop and put it in neutral it won't go back into gear. If you shift the transfer case into neutral, it will go into gear easily. Truck doesn't seem to creep or anything?? Is there any way to test if it is the clutch master cylinder or the slave? Don't want to buy both if I don't have to.

i just got done with this problem.

you need either a master or slave cylinder. i got both, external slave and master, for $80 and they are metal. but, i got them at cost.

both of mine leaked a bit. end result;

sheared input to cross shaft gear off of the input shaft, ruined the cross shaft, and got stranded 4 hours from home overnight. i rebuilt another tranny for it, and replaced everything.

get it fixed A.S.A.P. or you may have issues. you have nowhere near the hp i do, but the same tranny.

you have nowhere near the hp i do, but the same tranny.

Must be an awesome rig.............. :cheers:

lol. not when i'm on my 3rd transmission on that motor... :roll:

the point was that he's got less chance of having as bad of issues as me, BUT they do compound, and poor maintenance isn't going to make your tranny thank you. :cheers:

Understand about the poor maintainance compounding his problems. Since you're on your 3rd tranny, that must get tiresome unless you like it. :nuts: Can't imagine you do. So what are your options? AW4?

thread jack :roll: sorry

my options are an AW4 with a 2.5 aw4 torque converter and bellhousing and a complete manual shift system, or an ax15 with a 4 cylinder dodge dakota ax15 bellhousing and ax15.

i've just found a supercharged buick with a 3800 that's RWD today for $300...blown auto tranny and all brakes blown, but 120,000 and the car looks almost new. just ran tranny all 120k with little maintenance.

I'm thinking of picking that up, and going aw4 with shift kit...7 or 8 position shifter to control the cable with positions P,R,N,D then it would have electric positions 1,2,3,O. I could incorporate that all into one shifter handle and have it be a traditional shift pattern with 8 slots.

JeepcoMJ, you said you got an external slave? This transmission has an internal slave, can you convert them. Is there any way to tell which cylinder I need, I priced an internal slave ($176.00cdn). Will a clutch system from a 91 cherokee (4.0l) be the same. We have a parts one that ran good and shifted good.

JeepcoMJ, you said you got an external slave? This transmission has an internal slave, can you convert them. Is there any way to tell which cylinder I need, I priced an internal slave ($176.00cdn). Will a clutch system from a 91 cherokee (4.0l) be the same. We have a parts one that ran good and shifted good.

no, a 4.0 won't work as parts

yes, you can convert it.

I may have all of the parts to do this. it's actually the same bellhousing...you just need the throwout plate, throwout bearing, throwout plate pivot, studs for the slave cylinder, and slave spacer. also the front cover for the front bearings needs to be changed out to one with the one for the throwout bearing to slide.

I could put together a kit for it probably...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway to test if its the master or Slave cylinder? I don't have any leaks from the master, hard to tell from the slave (we just had the truck oiled). Will the master work off of a 1990?

I just had a very similar problem with ours. It's a 4.0 with the internal slave and the slave was the problem. I went ahead and bought a complete clutch kit that came with a new slave cylinder. The salve that came with the kit was wrong and I ended up buying the slave at the dealership anyway because the aftermarket guys could not figure it out.

• 12 years later...

Hi, my 87 Comanche, 5 speed has been doing real good--except for this recent problem.  It won't engage into gear when I start it up.   I run it about every 2 weeks for a garbage run and maybe another errand or 2.  A clutch kit sounds interesting.  Any good vendors?

Thanks,

John