Finland Trip

500 MJ

Hey Guys,

This summer I will be spending about a month of my time in Finland on a Study Abroad trip. The trip will most focus on studying the Railroads of Finland and how they are different than the ones in the USA (Next year I will graduate with a Civil Engineering Degree and Transportation (Railroading) will be my specialty).

I was wondering if anyone on here has been to Finland and could suggest some places to check out while I am there. We will have a free weekend and some free time after the program is over to scope out some things. We will be staying in Tampere for the most part for the program but on my free time I hope to see other places as well. Shoot me some suggestions.

Thanks - Brent

:USAflag:

The trip will most focus on studying the Railroads of Finland and how they are different than the ones in the USA (Next year I will graduate with a Civil Engineering Degree and Transportation (Railroading) will be my specialty).

Railroad ... railroad ...

I've heard that word before. Wait, it's coming back. Trains used to run on "railroads," right? I think I can remember riding on a "train" when I was a kid.

Do we still have trains and railroads in the U.S.? I thought the tree huggers converted all the railways to bike trails years ago.

My favorite train is the one that runs from D.C. to Orlando. I take it a couple times a year to visit my mom. Drive 3 hours.Load the car on the train. Eat, drink , and be merry with the older folk. Pass out at midnight, wake up at 7:00 AM, and I'm only four hours from Miami. I think one still goes out west too. I wish they had more options for destinations though.

For our Scout trip out to Philmont, I took the Amtrak from Detroit to Chicago and from there out to New Mexico. Pleasant ride, but the reclining seats were not comfortable to sleep in. :(

I've never noticed. I usually pass out with my face in the peanuts from drinking with the WWII guys up in the observation lounge.

Well Ive traveled by train, jet, bus,truck, drove to Ca. and back, and just went on the big boat with the mouse. For my money, I'll take the train anyday. If the Govt. would put Amtrak on the same footing as the others( funding wise), we'd be able to go alot more places. If your taking more than an overnight trip, spend the extra bucks for a sleeper. It's not Motel 6, but at least you can stretch out, and your meals are included. On shoter trips, go business. The extra $25 from Philly to Niagra Falls last Oct. was well worth it.

BTW, yes I do like trains( although I profer steam), and I do work for a railroad(engineer/conductor)

I have only been in finland for a total of 12 hours so i can't tell you what's worth to look at. But i do know that one of the world cup/nordic cup races in the formula offroad series is being hold at kangasala (just outside of tampere) 16th & 17th august. It is definetly worth to check out if you happend to be there at that time.

There is also a offroad trial competition 6th september somewhere in finland (sorry i don't know where). My cousin plans to race there with his heavily modified '42 willys jeep and maybe i'll be his co-driver on that event.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been talking to some other guys that will be going on the trip as well and we are thinking about renting a car and driving up to the Sweden and Norway borders so we can cross over into those countries to say we have been there. This would let us see pretty much the whole area of northern Finland. Any thoughts? Wanna plan a meeting time up in Northern Norway Joop?

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been over here for a week now and I have very limited Internet access but the trip is going great.

So far I have seen 21 Jeeps in Finland, but not a single MJ. Next weekend we will hopefully be heading up North and we'll see what I can see then up in the farm country...

Hope all is well back in the states - TTYL

Well, I've been over here for a week now and I have very limited Internet access but the trip is going great.

So far I have seen 21 Jeeps in Finland, but not a single MJ. Next weekend we will hopefully be heading up North and we'll see what I can see then up in the farm country...

Photos. Bring back photos.

Were you able to arrange a meeting with Joop?

I'll be traveling to Roveneimi this weekend. I'm afraid thats the closest I'll be getting to Norway. Its a far drive from here to get there and I will be traveling in a group so I don't have the ability to take the car and drive around on my own...

I am getting lots of pics for sure...

Hey how's it going over there?

I talked to your brother and dad like two weeks ago, trying to reach you and I totally forgot about you going on this trip here. So yeah, was just seeing how things were going with your dads jeep willy there, and when you was going to be back around, I'm ready to go wheeling. jamminz.gif

X2 on the pics. I wanna see some good ones. :brows:

The Good Lord smiled down on me today and gave me a sight I'll never forget in Finland...

I was walking back from the grocery store and saw this:

n6603948_31387353_9561.jpg

I'm keeping a tally of how many Jeep products I see while I am here. This is #31, the first and only MJ so far. There is an overwhelming majority of Grand Cherokees over here which I find kinda different cause in the states I see way more XJ's than anything else. I also have seen a few wranglers and I also saw a restored MB on the streets today when I was down town.

I didnt have a pen and paper on me but I was glad I had my camera. I ran home to get a pen and paper to write "www.comancheclub.com" on it and stuff it under the wiper blade but by the time I got back to my apartment I heard him start it up, burn out and take back off headed for the freeway. The aparment complex we are staying in is in the background of this pic and my room has a balcony on it so I was able to watch him lay some rubber on the gas station parking lot.

I don't know why, but Finnish people seem to rev their engines and burn out ALOT... Anyway, it made my day! ;) Thought it would make you Guys' day too...