What tranny do I have

I just recently purchased a 1989 MJ with a 2.5L and a manual 5 speed tranny I havent had time to crawl under it yet to investigate what tranny it has. I thought someone might be able to tell me. it is a very standard model with no radio to speakk of and doesnt even have a pass. rear view mirror.

double check though b4 u act on it. i just went to carquest and had them do a parts search for a clutch kit for my mj thinking it either had the pukey or the ax15, brought home a pukey kit, bolted it up and what do i know, i rev it up and let out of the clutch and nothing. as it turns out, i had the ax-5, and the springs werent long enough to even make contact with the pukey kit :mad: . back off with the transmission. :oops: :headpop:

i felt like a major dumbass that day......

double check though b4 u act on it. i just went to carquest and had them do a parts search for a clutch kit for my mj thinking it either had the pukey or the ax15, brought home a pukey kit, bolted it up and what do i know, i rev it up and let out of the clutch and nothing. as it turns out, i had the ax-5, and the springs werent long enough to even make contact with the pukey kit :mad: . back off with the transmission. :oops: :headpop:

You DO NOT have an Ax-5. If you're talking about the truck in your sig, then you have a 4.0. The Ax-5 was never used behind the 4.0. Since you have a 90, you'd have an AX-15.

Sorry it is a 2.5 . The first MJ I bought was a 4.0 the second MJ I bought has the 2.5 with a 5 speed tranny.

lol, you're good. I was talkin to james750.

Cory, you have an Ax-5. There's about a 0.1% chance its a T-5.

You DO NOT have an Ax-5. If you're talking about the truck in your sig, then you have a 4.0. The Ax-5 was never used behind the 4.0. Since you have a 90, you'd have an AX-15.

The truck does NOT have the same tranny that was original equipment if it is an ax-5. I would have thought that i had the AX-15 too. however, for some reason an ax5 clutch kit worked in it. :D

Either it is an AX-5 or the same clutch works in both ax-5 and ax-15

I'm open to ideas on why or if that clutch kit would work in both trannys. it could be that i have an ax-15.

Not trying to be an @$$, but if you have a 4.0 you do not have an Ax-5. There is no bellhousing for it to bolt to the 4.0. It's either an AX-15 (which looks very similar to the AX-5) or the peugot. The 4.0 would demolish an AX-5 very quickly. As for the clutch kit working, you've got me.

The truck does NOT have the same tranny that was original equipment if it is an ax-5. I would have thought that i had the AX-15 too. however, for some reason an ax5 clutch kit worked in it. :D

Either it is an AX-5 or the same clutch works in both ax-5 and ax-15

I'm open to ideas on why or if that clutch kit would work in both trannys. it could be that i have an ax-15.

I have experience with Carquest not knowing their clutch kits. I ordered a clutch kit for an 86 cherokee with the 2.5, since that's where the AX-5 in my red truck came from, and they gave me a completely different kit... the throwout bearing was the completely wrong style. I ordered the kit for the 2.8, and that worked.

4.0 = ax15 or ba10/5

ax5 is similar but not hte same as the ax15. basically it's baby bro.

you're lucky the clutch works. it's not the right one. post a pic of your tranny if you could.

Ill try and take pics tommorow.

I have experience with Carquest not knowing their clutch kits. I ordered a clutch kit for an 86 cherokee with the 2.5, since that's where the AX-5 in my red truck came from, and they gave me a completely different kit... the throwout bearing was the completely wrong style. I ordered the kit for the 2.8, and that worked.

Carquest is kinda screwy. I ordered a clutch for my 2.5L AX-4 and it was completely wrong. I had to get the part that had the number corresponding with the AX-5. Smaller diameter pressure plate and it was another $40. Fits though.

Carquest is kinda screwy. I ordered a clutch for my 2.5L AX-4 and it was completely wrong. I had to get the part that had the number corresponding with the AX-5. Smaller diameter pressure plate and it was another $40. Fits though.

That is screwy. The AX-4 and AX-5 are virtually identical. AX-4 is just missing parts for 5th. They use the same input shaft, case, bellhousing..

They probably have on their books that the Ax-4 was with the 2.5 and the Ax-5 was with the 2.8 or something stupid like that. It's a good thing I had an old throwout bearing to compare it with or I may have never gotten the right kit.

My MJ with the AX-4 had the wrong throw out bearing put in and the clutch had about a 1/2" of travel from the top of the pedal before it was completely released. The rest of the pedal travel was useless. I'm guessing that it was an AX-15 bearing. I put it back together with an ax-5 and ax-5 kit and while there were problems with the kit pieces, the throwout was shorter so I assumed correct. The ax-4 clutch petals were paper thin.

Even more helpful (haha) is the fact that I never got the driveshafts in to test my work. :D

Pilot bearing is the only difference between BA 10/5 and AX15

This is my question....I am converting from puke to AX15, would pilot bearing from the ax15 motor fit the crank in mine with puker?

The crank aspect of the AX-15 and BA 10/5 are the same for 89+90. The crank was slightly modified for the HO 4.0s