Center Console *Write up with Pictures*

Since this is a mod I have been wanting to do since Ive had my XJ, and it seems that it is popular swap with you MJ guys who add buckets, I figured I would do a write up, since I finally got my hands on a decent condition console.

I will be adding this console to my 1988 XJ Cherokee 4.0 AW4, NP231.

I grabbed a center console out of a 92 XJ, since it was in good shape.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Make sure you grab these brackets when you pull the console from the donor.

I ended up not using the second one, Ill explain later.

Here is the old console, called the "Mini Console" according to the 1988 sales brochure.

There are 2 screws to remove the mini console. One is under the gear selector on the right side, and the other is under the transfer case selector. Both bezels remove by either prying or pulling up on the bezels.

To get the gear bezel off the shifter, you need to remove the shifter T handle. Make sure you are on level ground, hit the brake, place in neutral, and pull hard upwards. The handle will pull off violently, watch your teeth. This is what the mini console looks like with both bezels removed, and the T handle off.

I removed the e-brake cover, non applicable to you MJ guys. 3 screws and the cover was off.

Also, you need to remove the air deflector from the bottom of the dash, the 2 screws will remove it, you need to grab the full console air deflector, and add it, but I am not adding it, since I never use the HEAT selector, so it will say empty there for a while.

After you remove the 2 screws from your "naked" mini console, pull your transfer case gear into 4LO, for easiest maneuverability with removing and installing the consoles. Before yanking the mini console out, be sure to untwist and remove the transfer case bulb socket.

Next, take your full console and remove the black "tray" from the full console, by removing the 2 screws shown below, and pop the whole thing out.

Drop your full console in, and align the screw holes for the transfer case and the gear selector, now look at the holes inside the compartment for the general area for the big bracket to mount. It doesnt have to be exact.

Now remove the console, and cut a rectangle in the carpet in that general area. The carpet is soft, so a razor blade works great. You will see dimples in the floor, where the bolts go.

Now, instead of drilling the dimples in the floor, for fear of them being too big, I took a thin nail and tapped the nail into the dimples, right thru the floor. Now, the bolts line up perfectly, and are nice and tight to the floor.

Bring the console back into the Jeep, drop it into place, the back holes should line up with the bracket I just put in. Plug in the transfer case bulb now too.

I did not use the middle bracket, and I see NO need for it. The console does not wiggle any more without, plus I had a plastic mount busted off, so I didnt bother with it. You can add it if it makes you feel better.

Once everything is lined up, pop the black "tray" into place, screw the two screws back in at the top near the armrest, and then crank down the screws for the transfer case, gear selector, and the back two screws inside the storage compartment. Replace the lid too if you took that off.

Snap the transfer case bezel back on, along with the gear bezel. don't forget to attach the bulb to the back of the bezel.

Turn your parking lights on, and make sure the backlight bulbs did not burn out during the removal and install of the console.

Finished product.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I am so happy with this install, it is one of my favorite of many many mods Ive done. The install from start to finish, was an hour and 15 mins including taking all of the pictures too. I still need to hit the dealership and get a cup holder for over the e-brake.

Any questions or comments, or something that needs clearing up, just post here or PM me. And please, if the center console install question comes up in the future, please by all means direct them to this thread.

Thanks for looking.

Turn your parking lights on, and make sure the backlight bulbs did not burn out during the removal and install of the console.

Finished product.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Any questions or comments, or something that needs clearing up, just post here or PM me. And please, if the center console install question comes up in the future, please by all means direct them to this site.

Thanks for looking.

It would look way better with a good gear shifter indicater, You should be able to get one at almost any JY. That way it mainly lights the gear you are in.

My '94 came with a cupholder on the passenger side of the console.

If you use the cup holder by the E-brake lever make sure your e-brake is properly adjusted or the handle hits the cupholder. I don't know what I did but my handle is almost hitting the bottom of the console. The extra 2" of travel works great to apply the e-brake fully without hitting the console.

My ebrake is busted, no state inspection, automatic etc, so its just decoration. I know, I should get the selector cover that you are talking about, but every yard that I go to its either torn up, or missing, so Ill forget about it until I can get a good one, then ill throw it in.

Very clean. If i could ever find a decent console to grab from our local JY, I would install it. All of the Cherokees/Comanches are trashed.

Thanks. Ya it took me over a year to find the right one, and it was out of a 92 XJ with 90k miles. It was dirty, but not scratched or cracked.

Very nice! My 89 MJ had those exact little divits for the brackets. Thanks for all the work you did on this DIY project. I know that it will help more than a few MJ'ers - Rich

Thanks. Glad I could help. Ive been meaning to do this add for a while, and since I just joined here, and the "buckets and console" seems to be a popular mod with the MJ's, I thought I would do a write up for you guys. Figure it could help out a few of you.

:cheers:

• 8 months later...

I just did this, thanks for the writeup!

To add: I had no center e-brake (stick 86) so my variation was to get a 2cup cup holder and mount it to the e-brake part of the center console so it blocked the 'VOID' and made space for my "coffee" and change... pics will follow...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i just put that console and a set of '94 buckets in my '88..... i ended up not using either of those 2 brackets, as the 2 mounts under the bezels secure it quite well and i have a speaker box wedged up against the back of it.

Nice clean install. I've got one ready to go in my MJ when I get to the interior.

Are those consoles hard to dig up? I know where a grey one just like that is that I could grab. Really nice shape, in a 96.

Nope just pop off the tcase and trans bezels, and remove the 2 screws from the black tray. Remove the 2 screws from near the e-brake, and 2 inside the storage box. Then grab the console, brackets and the air deflector for the lower vent on the dash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Jeep Comanche/Cherokee Full Console Installation:

You need:

1) Console

2) Underdash Air Flow (deflector)

3) Brackets (optional)

4) Philips Screwdriver

Underdash Air flow will take about 6 minutes to replace.  No cutting needed (as noted in other forums).  This is AC and Heat Air Flow, unless MJs are different than XJs.  That is how AC gets to the back seats of XJs.  I will know more, as I am going to install the XJ air tube for air to get to the back of the cab (see if it helps cool it down on 100+ days).

2 screws behind a (barely glued in place) black strip.  Recommend removing the roughly 10 screws to the lower dash piece with the ash tray in it (possible to do without this part). 

***The XJ console with the slot for the e-brake handle makes a handy cell phone holder.

The floor pan will have dimples where the brackets are suppose to go if you feel you need them. (no brackets in my dad's MJ, over 6 years, no issues).

Automatic: If you take your time, you won't have to remove the shift handle as the OEM instructions say to do.

Nice pictures on here, but I see no actual installation pictures, just removal and finished product.  Meanwhile, I am upgrading my 4x4 Comanche with a factory kit to Full Console and taking even more pictures.  I will post a link later to the page I make for installing a full console.  I will copy the Factory Instructions.

Consoles are fairly easy to find, as most XJs had them.  Only different with a factory is you get a glued on plastic where the XJ has the rubber with slit glued on.  The rubber slit holds my LG phone perfectly.  I found my Burgandy used one on eBay (3 auctions, used  console, new black center, used lid), then 1 month later found the NOS Burgundy kit.  If anyone needs a Burgundy Full Console, PM me with offers.  Or even other parts you may need...

Jeep Comancher