1987Comanchelb......

I just joined Just some pictures of my 87 2wd LB 5speed, 4.0 Original owner I bought it brand new back in 87 and now only has 86K original miles, California truck just passed smog test, Absolutely no rust, added Brahma Shell and bed liner when new under bed liner Bed like new! (never seen a pebble) custom built carpet kit by me 3/4 inch Maple plywood, modular design easy to remove, 5 storage areas, 6 drink holders, around 5 to 2 inches of foam all around super comfy under Marine carpet, Great for good times has curtains for privacy, LCD TV, Second (all Sony) Stereo amplified system, 10 cd disc changer for main stereo,Deep cycle battery, another Sony Cd player, Fan, control switches. Aux 12VDC power adapters for Laptops etc.
Driver side bucket seat needs to be welded or replaced, Passenger side OK, need new covers though.

Passenger side rear panel needs re-coat of clear, had a small little fender bender when new, rear quarter panel was repaired but the 21 yr old repair paint job went south. Camera battery when dead.

Just added new tires, 15 inch aluminum mags center caps are gone though due to rust. Added side bars, exhaust Headers, Stainless steel Borla muffler, etc.

Anyways I'm reinstalling the stereo system I took out in the main cab so that's why some items are being removed.

Anyways once I'm finished she going up for sale. Someone here could convert this mint baby to 4X4 and have one nice ride. She's not perfect a few tiny dings here and there but nothing major not too bad for a 21 yr old Comanche.

I hope this wasn't too much for the 1st post. lol

Absolutely No Rust! Yes it is this clean.

Ampified TV antenna, was good for picking up some local station.

Rear sliding glass window was installed, but I busted the center glass door, so just in opening to the back area.

Nice Pull out full logic Sony XR7180.

Controls TV, Stereo, Fan, cdplayer, lights, Aux 12 VDC power.

Image Not Found
Aux Battery in main front box, extra storage area for blankets, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she's a beauty. i am especially diggin' on what you did to the bed, i have had pretty much the same idea. though i want to put more compartments and raise it up higher so i can put all my fishing gear in there. you have any plans on the bed build up that you could share with me? :brows:

:cheers: welcome aboard

Thanks everyone, I had allot of fond memories back there if you know what I mean kind of hard to sell it because of it.

Sorry, I don't have any plans on the carpet kit just kind of build it as I went along it is in 5 sections you can kind of see how I did it, it's not really that hard.

As for the fender extenders this truck did have some oversize tires once and it did help keep the sides clean, but I agree they don't quite look right with the smaller tires and I'm in Southern California Ventura county area.

oh well. i will have to do that then.

hell if i were you i wouldn't ever let her go, i would live in the back before i got rid of her, but i am not settled down and i have many years a head of me before i ever get settled down.

Yeah, I know once I sell her I will regret it badly all those great times I had back there, and all that work I put in and she runs great never had a problem love that 4.0L

Maybe once she all back together I may just change my mind. Will see.

if you've had it since 87,,, yeah you've kelp it this long,... you'll keep it..

Since I was cleaning back there today I took some pictures to give you an idea about how I went about it.

1st I built the sides against the wheel well full lenght of the bed, top piece just below shell lip add 2 screw per side to secure them to the lip, used assorted foam sizes, marine carpet for durability, rust proof staples used electric staple gun (Stubborn staple driven in by hammer), Piano hinges works great, I used 3/4 plywood, woodscrews and Carpenter glue to built the side/front boxes . The rest just sit in place.

Added front compartments.

Easy to remove. Bottom pieces used 1/2 inch plywood foam then covered.

Image Not Found

Lockable front chest.

Handles for lifting.

Other side same concept.

Space was for an old analog TV that failed replaced with LCD extra space created.

Removable arm rest/cup holder just sit under window frame for support.

• 4 weeks later...

Main stereo back in.

Just wired it up quickly just to test everything is working correctly.

Crutchfield amp drive the speaker boxes 10 inch woofers and Alpine amp drives the 6 1/2 Polk door speakers.

This system really rocks!

My redneck center console I made. My previous one was old and falling apart (particle board) so I thought I customize it alittle added equalizer area and extra space in the rear. Rearrange the cups to add strength.

Thought I stain it just to see how it would look before I pad it and cover it, kind of looks good like it is.lol

Passenger seat still in great condition I thought it was torn but I was wrong.

Wow it's like a time warp back to the eightees with a few 21 centrury electronics added. Very nice truck! I once owned back in 87 an 88 Nissan hardbody with a similar carpet kit arrangement (yes the memories). If you decide to sell that truck I doubt you will have any problems finding a buyer for a rust free piece of Jeep history. :cheers:

Thanks Guys, Those days are long gone. I'm a old fart now! Just memories is all that's left. I hate to sell her but I may have to at the moment I'm collecting unemployment I lost my job to outsourcing to some 3rd world country (NAFTA) I knew sooner or later!

That why I'm fixing her up to sell on Craiglist, but will give you guys 1st shot once I'm finished.

I don't know what she worth but there is over $2k in all the electronics alone.

Maybe I will post it on Ebay before I decide to close my account.

• 4 weeks later...

Some updated pictures visited the local pick it part junk yard, lost a rear bolt on my Avalanche decided just to pay the 2 bucks and get one there, and well low and behold there was a swb comanche/w fiberglass shell, and few XJ.

Got the buckets seats out of the comanche (found $1.85 under the seat too!!), window cranks. Gauges from a XJ, a few odd and ends peices.

Old gauges original miles.

Image Not Found

New gauges got to keep the mileage legit.

Image Not Found

These seat were filthy! amazing I just remove the covers and threw them in the washing machine for a few hot wash cycles.

Image Not Found

ACC Vinyl, looks great glad to get rid of the carpet! Yuck!

Image Not Found

a few small tears, but clean!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It's amazing what you find in these old jeep what are the odds I find the exact same stereo in one of the XJ, I just took the detachable face piece works great now I got 2! just in case I lose one or get stolen. lol

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I know how you guys all like a lot of pictures so here you go! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Removed Carpet.

Apply Herculiner in cab.

Decided to dress her up some when I decide to repaint the headers with Por-20 or something like that

exhaust paint holding up great!

Image Not Found

Upgrade 4port Fuel Injectors runs better than new and better mileage. Fix the last oil leak under oil filter, Not 1 drop of oil now.

Image Not Found

Windshield washer bottle in fender mod.

Image Not Found

Brake booster mod, upgraded.

Image Not Found

AC ready, AC box in, Condenser, dryer, compressor never did finish, just needs to be wired up and recharged

waitng for a member to finish his install for the info.

Image Not Found

• 10 months later...

I could use the money, If I can sell one of my bikes then I would keep it, but no luck so maybe a clean Comanche might sell?

I would like to keep it will see, new Duralast 85 in truck and a new Exide marine battery for the rear.

Dual speed fan check.

Image Not Found

LCD TV Tuner check. Can get local channels in certain areas.

Image Not Found

Stereo check.

Image Not Found

Cd player check.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Full logic XR7180 was $400 back in the days and top of the line still rocks.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Thanks JT, It's been like this since almost the beginning, when I 1st bought the truck back in 87 1st thing I did was get a bed liner (I waxed the bed 1st, just they way I am) then a camper shell and started my carpet kit construction. This is the second time I re-did the carpet in the back this time I used Marine carpeting.

As you can see it is a time warp back to the 80's I even got an old Radio Shack radar detector in the front to finish it off.lol

• 4 weeks later...

That's one clean engine bay you got there.

Since I saw your engine pic's in the tech section, I figure I'd ask you here in your build, what paint did you use on the intake? I'm currently dressing out the engine in my build and was debating on painting it. I was just going to use the same engine enamal I did the block with as it's good to 500 degrees.

:cheers: