1987Comanchelb......

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think herculiner holds moistuer which cause rust,

por-15 is what i think everyone uses.

I don't see how moisture is going to get in between? I have used both products and I feel Herculiner was more superior tough polyurethane with small rubber bits. I guess it all in the prep work, which I did very good job and wipe everything down with Xylol as recommended before applying. Por-15 is just tough paint and seals good but if you ever want to remove it just apply paint remover and it will lift right off in one big piece I know I tried it.

I even applied some inside the cab corners.

A very sweet ride you have there 87ComancheLB

Many Kudo's to you as the original owner.. very fine work and up-keep!

Many Cheers

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I decide to tackle the clearcoat problem were the repair was made some 20 years ago and I wasn't too happy with the work they did back then. I ended up taking it down to bare metal and removed all the old bondo.

Was a lot been removing it slowly.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Pick this up at Harbor freight for $40.

Image Not Found

Pounded out most of the low spots, will try and minimize bondo usage.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I broke one stud on every bracket trying to remove fender. :no:

Image Not Found

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just documenting the process and condition.

Removed both fenders to see if any hidden surprises awaits.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

22 year old fenders got a little herculiner on them from leftover.

Image Not Found

Some cut through paint fender flare rubs.

Image Not Found

Damn it I found some rust on the driver side Lower section no where else. Good thing I caught it now before got out of hand. :fs1:

Image Not Found

I'm thinking of painting the fenders off the truck maybe painting both side or Por-15 underside panel and body.

One small 4oz can of por-15 covered all this. Sorry for the bad pictures had to return the defective SD card back to China I bought on EBay had to use my phone camera.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Both underside fenders covered.

Image Not Found

Don't hate me guys, because I have no rust what so ever and everything unbolts with ease. I'm planning on bullet proofing the whole underside

with por-15 while it's still in this condition so if I ever decide to sell it you will know.

Light undercoating save it, only real rust was the rear bumper brackets but that was just surface rust.

Wiping it down with Xylol.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I need to flip this bed so I can clean it better and apply por-15. :cheers:

Image Not Found

I just joined Just some pictures of my 87 2wd LB 5speed, 4.0 Original owner I bought it brand new back in 87 and now only has 86K original miles, California truck just passed smog test, Absolutely no rust, added Brahma Shell and bed liner when new under bed liner Bed like new! (never seen a pebble) custom built carpet kit by me 3/4 inch Maple plywood, modular design easy to remove, 5 storage areas, 6 drink holders, around 5 to 2 inches of foam all around super comfy under Marine carpet, Great for good times has curtains for privacy, LCD TV, Second (all Sony) Stereo amplified system, 10 cd disc changer for main stereo,Deep cycle battery, another Sony Cd player, Fan, control switches. Aux 12VDC power adapters for Laptops etc.

Driver side bucket seat needs to be welded or replaced, Passenger side OK, need new covers though.

Passenger side rear panel needs re-coat of clear, had a small little fender bender when new, rear quarter panel was repaired but the 21 yr old repair paint job went south. Camera battery when dead.

Just added new tires, 15 inch aluminum mags center caps are gone though due to rust. Added side bars, exhaust Headers, Stainless steel Borla muffler, etc.

Anyways I'm reinstalling the stereo system I took out in the main cab so that's why some items are being removed.

Anyways once I'm finished she going up for sale. Someone here could convert this mint baby to 4X4 and have one nice ride. She's not perfect a few tiny dings here and there but nothing major not too bad for a 21 yr old Comanche.

I hope this wasn't too much for the 1st post. lol

Absolutely No Rust! Yes it is this clean.

Ampified TV antenna, was good for picking up some local station.

Rear sliding glass window was installed, but I busted the center glass door, so just in opening to the back area.

Nice Pull out full logic Sony XR7180.

Controls TV, Stereo, Fan, cdplayer, lights, Aux 12 VDC power.

Image Not Found

Aux Battery in main front box, extra storage area for blankets, etc.

man i wish i had that truck in high school .its the ultimate shagging jamminz.gifjamminz.gif wagon

• 3 weeks later...

Under all wheel wells and down between the frame and bottom was stripped to the bare metal, center section will be clean only and then covered.

Finished rinsing with Marine clean.

Image Not Found

Next Metal ready.

Image Not Found

Then Por-15!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 2 weeks later...

Had alot of Por-20 high temp silver left over from painting the headers decided to paint the exhaust while it's off.

Replace once hi-flow converter from J.C Whitney.

Image Not Found

Replace once with Stainless Steel Borla from J.C Whitney.

Image Not Found

Original piping from the muffler back.

Image Not Found

Found 4 small pin hole along seam seal with Por-patch. Will see how long it will last a lot rust came out of the tail pipe.

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks Guy's I'm sorry I haven't been working on it. I took a break and ended up working on my 2003 Avalanche which has more rust than my 23 yr old MJ. lol

The frame not even painted has waxy grease undercoating that can be wiped off with gas or xylol exposing bare steel.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Steel treated with Metal ready if not used then por15 won't stick,too smooth needs to be etch.

Well she rust proof now, frame, diff's, driveshaft etc all coated in por15. :yes:

Image Not Found

AV been done long ago I guess I need to start working on the MJ again. :shake: