Instrument Cluster Question

My current cluster has full gages except for tach (has large fuel gauge that every one of my friends make fun of) if I change it to a tach cluster what do I need to do to get tach working? Is the cable there and it's plug and play or do I need to run new cable?

You also need to swap coolant temp and oil pressure sending units, otherwise it won't read correctly... They are really easy to get to, oil pressure is by the oil filter, only one wire goes to it and the coolant temp is on the head, way back by the firewall on the drivers side. Again, only one wire to that one... If you grab the cluster from the yard, get the sending units too, they can be costly...

I didn't know there was a gauge cluster with oil and temp but no Tach. If that is what you have it should be a direct replacement. I didn't have the temp and oil so I needed the sending units for those.
Yes...he already has the guages so no need to change anything. It should be a direct swap only needing to be sure that it is a cluster from an '87 - '90 application.

You also need to swap coolant temp and oil pressure sending units, otherwise it won't read correctly... They are really easy to get to, oil pressure is by the oil filter, only one wire goes to it and the coolant temp is on the head, way back by the firewall on the drivers side. Again, only one wire to that one... If you grab the cluster from the yard, get the sending units too, they can be costly...

nah. that's only for a dummy light cluster.

he's got full gauges minus tach.

it's plug and play, get one from a 88-90 renix.

I wish the gauges did "die to the left" when the truck was shut off (like the volts gauge) but they don't. And it drives me nuts...

But their is one problem.....59 THOUSAND MILES!!!!!!

Lucky man.

jamminz.gif

Ya, I found a northern truck with very little rust (all small surface rust) but floors need replacement with 59,000 miles. Carfax showed milage to be correct. That's why I think I may want to change out the speedo if it is possible into the new cluster. I still haven't put pictures up so maybe this weekend

you MUST get a cluster that's within 1 year + or - then. make sure it's got a trip meter just in case, and then your speedo bolts right in.

matter of fact, let me check my clusters...i may have a cluster minus the voltmeter or something, but has the tach.

The 5/6 gauge cluster was standard on most XJ's except the base with just fuel gauge. On MJ only the top levels had some gauges as standard but was optional on the lower packages. Whereas the XJ base did not have any optional gauges. So it was in 86. The tach then was an additional option.