end of an era

89eliminator

Wade, I'm gonna bet you five bucks Brett is back on the field 1st game of the season.

as much as i would love for him to come back, i really think he is done.

He's just beat up and tired like 90% of the NFL players are in March. Come July or August he'll be back. He's been flip-floppin' about retirement for four years...... :D

I effin hope he stays retired. he's been ready for that for years.

sure, he had a good year, but us wisconsinites really don't need to see a repeat of the previous two seasons. he's hurt, he's old, and while he's still better than most...his recievers don't work well enough with him (or maybe it's the other way around...) to avoid all the stupid mistakes they make.

he's done and i hope it stays that way.

One of the best? yes. should he retire? yes. Will he? No he'll keep on truckin

yeahthat.gif

oh god i hope not. he should be restricted. he's not being a fair team player by doing what he's been doing...yes, or no. no iffy decisions.

he should retire to miami(team) they suck

He still plays with fire and a kid's enthusiasm. I love to watch the old bastid, and I hope he does hang in there for another year. Can anyone forget George Blanda?

And naw, he couldn't play anywhere but in Green Bay. That would be like Terry Bradshaw playing for Chicago, Roger Stauback playing for the Redskins, Dan Marino playing for Seattle, or Joe Montana playing for St Louis. Just wouldn't work. Some guys are forever linked to a certain team and city; perhaps none so as much as Brett Favre.

Pat, you crack me up, I haven't quite figured you out yet LOL. So, was last year a fluke or something? One game from the Super Bowl? I guess it's a generational thing. You're young enough to want all the young guys playing. As a Wisco boy, I wouldn't doubt for a second that he's almost God-like (no offense to anyone) to you just like everybody else up there. Hell, he is to me and I'm a lifelong Stillers fan! But since I know you are only 20 (21 soon right?), let me just say that THE MAN was already pulling games out of his a$$ for you cheeseheads while you were still crapping on yourself and laughing about it. :laughin:

Like I said, last year was no fluke. Your coach has established himself with the team, the young guys stepped up, and I really don't get how you can say his receivers don't work well with him. I think he and Donald Driver could throw and catch with each other in their sleep! And Jennings established himself as the deep threat needed so Driver could be your Hines Ward and pick up first downs over the middle. Defense was strong, looks like they found a running back too. So, I think he had 1-2 more good years in him if he wanted.

But, he absolutely went out on top, completely on his terms. I think one of the only reasons he kept coming back was not so much to prove the critics wrong, but to prove to himself he could still lead the team. The other reason I think is because he has to be one of the top five most competitive people I've ever seen, and it was eating him alive to retire after crappy seasons. But I think today he realized he could now walk away without asking "what if I played one more year", that this past year buried any competitive demons of the previous 5 yrs. I would go so far as to say that the Giants winning the Super Bowl may have helped him make the decision because the Pack was a couple of plays away from beating the hottest team in the league and the team that shut down the Patriots express. And he knows that getting to, and winning, the Super Bowl is not only the product of a great season but a little luck is always needed too. He knows he did his part for the great season, and that the other part he has no control over.

Oh, and mark my words, within 5yrs, his story will be made in to one of the best "feel good" sports movies of all time. :cheers:

according to the Brett himself, he decided to retire because he felt that he couldnt top the last year. to start last year, HE didnt even think the team was good enough to get to the playoffs, let alone the NFC championship game. the only way to top that would be to win the super bowl, which he said would be very difficult.

last year was no fluke, just all the no name players making a name for themselves at once.

some people will say that the Pack not signing Randy Moss is what led Favre to retire. that is bogus, he wouldnt base his career on them not signing a guy.

oh and Wahoo, i don't have Pat figured out either, and i KNOW him. :D

Pat, you crack me up, I haven't quite figured you out yet LOL. So, was last year a fluke or something? One game from the Super Bowl? I guess it's a generational thing. You're young enough to want all the young guys playing. As a Wisco boy, I wouldn't doubt for a second that he's almost God-like (no offense to anyone) to you just like everybody else up there. Hell, he is to me and I'm a lifelong Stillers fan! But since I know you are only 20 (21 soon right?), let me just say that THE MAN was already pulling games out of his a$$ for you cheeseheads while you were still crapping on yourself and laughing about it. :laughin:

no, he had a GREAT last year. it wasn't a fluke at all, but I don't want to see a relapse into the two $#!&ty years he had before that. THAT was when he and his recievers didn't work well, his blockers didn't keep him from getting hurt, and the team as a whole played like crap.

in light of that, i want him to go out with a bang. i want to remember who he was. and so does he.

he's not an old fart yet. but he's played well beyond the realm of most football players, much less quarterbacks

oh and Wahoo, i don't have Pat figured out either, and i KNOW him. :D

I'm :nuts: i know. and yes, wahoo...hittin 21 in april. can't celebrate though, which sucks :headpop:

I effin hope he stays retired. he's been ready for that for years.

sure, he had a good year, but us wisconsinites really don't need to see a repeat of the previous two seasons. he's hurt, he's old, and while he's still better than most...his recievers don't work well enough with him (or maybe it's the other way around...) to avoid all the stupid mistakes they make.

he's done and i hope it stays that way.

you don't somehow think the packers are a better team with rogers as QB do ya? the packers without Favre won't make the playoffs, i say they win 7 games at most next year. and that's hard for me to say, cuz they're my team.

it's a sad sad day for cheeseheads

you don't somehow think the packers are a better team with rogers as QB do ya? the packers without Favre won't make the playoffs, i say they win 7 games at most next year. and that's hard for me to say, cuz they're my team.

it's a sad sad day for cheeseheads

nope. what they are is a more confident team with a longer future, without all the "mmm....well i think i may retire now...nah...waiiiittt.....hmmm. yeah, i'm retiring. FOOLED YA i'm back..nah, i'll retire now.

it's a bunch of crap. you think you could get away with it at your job? nope.

favre is a GREAT player, a legend, and a god. but damn man, there's only so much we can take...and his team needs to NOT be mislead. that leads to confusion and ill will...not exactly the best thing for a team

• 5 months later...

Not quite yet. I realize that I'm trying hard not to pay attention to what's going on, but last I heard Brett still has to officially get past the try-outs cut, get chosen for the first string position over the other guy, and then not get completely pummeled by his ex-fans before game 1. :D