Got an ignition miss, cant seem to trouble shoot it....

here is what has been done already.....1988 6cyl 5spd, plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, and just recently replaced the cta or cps sensor on bell housing as I also recently developed the intermittant "no start" problem.

Truck does not miss at idle or when heavy on throttle(until really high in the r's right before an up shift), but when you get to any cruising speed it starts to cut out severely and it is not a rythmic miss. I don't have any clue about sensors and this is one of the newest cars I've ever worked on. Is there something else I am missing? Injectors, perhaps? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks gang

SgtRockcompleted5920.jpg

Here a link to get educated on the sensors :smart:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

If its 'choking' at high RPM's it almost sounds like a fuel issue.

You've taken care of the most basic items, it might be worth checking the TPS, changing the fuel filter, and doing a pressure check on the fuel pump.

Also, you might want to check the ballast resistor for the fuel pump, use the jumper trick, and take it for a ride to see if it's acting the same.

...it runs better cold then really acts up when warmed up.

I have experienced the TPS problem a few times recently, it will crank at high idle and stay there for the entire trip, shut it it off a while and it returns to normal. It was doing this before the mis started.

I will check the ballast resistor "jump" and see how it acts. I was reading the "injector" threads and was thinking that may be what is happening.

....their aint a Kat in the sytem any more....come to speak of it there isn't much of a functioning muffler there either ! don't know if the sensors you speak of are even still operational, but I will be going thru these things. It is a definate big "dead" mis,,,sometimes just 1, but sometimes severall in a row. Sounds like hitting the rev limiter when you wind out a gear and sorta like that when cruising.

Thanks on the paint, the clear had blistered completely off, got after it with $50 worth of Camo Krylon from Walmart. Painted my flatbottom boat to match and will be painting my 15 foot "RoadRunner" travel trailer to match. Will post pics of all this when they are completed!

i was wonderin if that was something common to the 6cyl set-up. I don't know how to check it.

I also know the wires have very few miles on them, but they are 6 years old. They were put on when somebody in the previous owners family made a go at getting the truck road worthy. Maybe 1000 miles on them, mostly by me and the mis started in the last 200 miles or so....I will probably replace them anyways....soon

i was wonderin if that was something common to the 6cyl set-up. I don't know how to check it.

I also know the wires have very few miles on them, but they are 6 years old. They were put on when somebody in the previous owners family made a go at getting the truck road worthy. Maybe 1000 miles on them, mostly by me and the mis started in the last 200 miles or so....I will probably replace them anyways....soon

Wait a minute, You stated in your first post that you already replaced the wires, plugs, cap. Now your saying there 6 years old......... :eek:

Don't you realize that rubber brakes down over time, he!!, a little critter could have been chewing on the wires in all that time.

Before you start tearing everything apart and checking all the sensors, Go Back to the basics and start with new wires, and a new cap, yea, if its been sitting all this time. Don't matter now many miles are on them, Time takes it's toll also.

To Quote JT - K.I.S.S.

Ether I missed it in your first post, or you didn't say anything about the time span from when you first replaced everything :roll:

Ok listen. I have this same problem, but mine does it when it's cold and gets better when it's hot. Now I've changed every stinkin sensor except my EGR valve and that's next. While it hasn't cured my problem completely it does get better with every new part I put on. I'm still thinking there is a leak at my exhaust manifold that causes it to run poorly until the gasket warms up and expands forming a tight seal around the holes. We'll see because I only get a small amount of time every week to work on the truck.

Now for yours. I just spoke with a mechanic in Mexico that said he was having a similar problem with a 1998 Ford Explorer. He had the same symtoms as you with the addition that his check engine light would come on. His problem was that he had two holes in either his Catilitic converter

or muffler( I couldn't completely understand the dialect he was using) and he just fixed it by welding the holes shut. His problem went away. Not saying that this will fix yours but it might be worth looking at considering you said the exhaust system is pretty much shot.

....I had never though about the open exhaust causing this, but as the muffler has disintergrated, the mis has gotten worse as the sound has gotten louder. It's a shame , too, cause this babies really scooting off the line. It'l lay a patch until you hit second, jumps sideways for many feet then bang 3rd and she does it again....as long as you keep it off the "rev limiter" mis rpm range. Got a budy wth an Eliminator , it won't even come close to this SporTruck!

....I had never though about the open exhaust causing this, but as the muffler has disintergrated, the mis has gotten worse as the sound has gotten louder. It's a shame , too, cause this babies really scooting off the line. It'l lay a patch until you hit second, jumps sideways for many feet then bang 3rd and she does it again....as long as you keep it off the "rev limiter" mis rpm range. Got a budy wth an Eliminator , it won't even come close to this SporTruck!

Bring it and your wallet on down to Arab. :cheers:

I am still rattled that theres a city in Alabama called Arab.. I actually had to google it to see for myself..

To OP take your TB off and clean it real good. Another thing might be bad gas.. Try filling it up with 93 and running some injector cleaner through the tank.

I am still rattled that theres a city in Alabama called Arab.. I actually had to google it to see for myself...

Sure is. But there are zero Arabs here. :D The sports teams are called the Knights (after Arabian Nights) :nuts: I know. Most always the teams suck, especially the basketball team. None of the players can dunk let alone get off the floor. :eek:

The story behind the name: Tuttle Thompson, wishing to obtain a post office for Arab, was asked to submit three possible names. He sent in INK, BIRD, and ARAD. Arad was the name of his young son. In Washington, the official mistook the D for a B and in 1882 the town was officialy named ARAB. Due to the red tape it would have required to have the name changed, it was left Arab. The town of Arab was incorporated in 1892.

I am still rattled that theres a city in Alabama called Arab.. I actually had to google it to see for myself...

Sure is. But there are zero Arabs here. :D The sports teams are called the Knights (after Arabian Nights) :nuts: I know. Most always the teams suck, especially the basketball team. None of the players can dunk let alone get off the floor. :eek:

The story behind the name: Tuttle Thompson, wishing to obtain a post office for Arab, was asked to submit three possible names. He sent in INK, BIRD, and ARAD. Arad was the name of his young son. In Washington, the official mistook the D for a B and in 1882 the town was officialy named ARAB. Due to the red tape it would have required to have the name changed, it was left Arab. The town of Arab was incorporated in 1892.

Those G-specs and their damed dyslexia... lol kiddin

But, I so hope to get that question one day on Trivial Pursuit!!

jamminz.gif

Those G-specs and their damed dyslexia... lol kiddin

But, I so hope to get that question one day on Trivial Pursuit!! jamminz.gif

LOL. I guess Arab isn't too bad; could have been Bird or Ink Alabama. Ol' Tuttle must have been on crack. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Now for yours. I just spoke with a mechanic in Mexico that said he was having a similar problem with a 1998 Ford Explorer. He had the same symtoms as you with the addition that his check engine light would come on. His problem was that he had two holes in either his Catilitic converter

or muffler( I couldn't completely understand the dialect he was using) and he just fixed it by welding the holes shut. His problem went away. Not saying that this will fix yours but it might be worth looking at considering you said the exhaust system is pretty much shot.

I doubt having holes in the exhaust on these trucks would throw them off so bad that they wouldn't run right. heck for the first 4 months after i got mine back on the road it didn't have a cat and the rest of the exhaust. the thing ran fine and had plunty of power. Mine also has been running without the egr tube hooked up off the manafold. that rusted and broke off. the only weird thing that I had happen was the idle would shoot up high. I drove the truck with the tps unplugged for a couple of short runs, plugged it back in and the thing has been fine. check the basics, fuel pressure, spark, etc. then go from that.