A Snow Day is a Slow Day - in LA

Tracker

My son was hoping to need 4WD to get to school and almost didn't get to. One pass had a little ice on it and a handfull of commuter idiots did their best to block the road in every angle possible. :mad:

I hear that new MT's can really throw the muddy shoulder slush if all 4 of them are spinning fast enough. :clapping:

Man you live there?? Thats some kinda beautiful...

Yeah, that's the Tracker homestead. According to my zipcode I live in a Los Angeles suburb. From the top of that mountain I can see the ocean and Catalina Island on a clear day. But even so, I'm 20 minutes from the nearest streetlight or traffic signal. Cell phones don't work here either. Life in LA doesn't have to be that bad.

Yeah, that's the Tracker homestead. According to my zipcode I live in a Los Angeles suburb. From the top of that mountain I can see the ocean and Catalina Island on a clear day. But even so, I'm 20 minutes from the nearest streetlight or traffic signal. Cell phones don't work here either. Life in LA doesn't have to be that bad.

Nice.. Is that state protected?? or just undeveloped? I'd hate to see that hill with houses dotted all over it.

The little community I live in is the last remnants of an old Spanish rancho that resisted incorporation into the Angeles National Forest when it was formed in the 1800's. There's a couple hundred houses here but that's not enough to make it worthwhile to bring a water pipe into town. So, we're surrounded by federal land that can't be built on and we will probably have the well / septic system for the forseeable future. Real estate speculators hate it, people who live here love it.

I'm going to be out that way next week. Do you think the snow will last till then

The snow will still be on the north side of the hills and at the higher elevations. It's supposed to be in the 70's here this weekend. I hope so because I'm going chukar hunting on the edge of Death Valley.

The little community I live in is the last remnants of an old Spanish rancho that resisted incorporation into the Angeles National Forest when it was formed in the 1800's. There's a couple hundred houses here but that's not enough to make it worthwhile to bring a water pipe into town. So, we're surrounded by federal land that can't be built on and we will probably have the well / septic system for the forseeable future. Real estate speculators hate it, people who live here love it.
I'm going to be out that way next week. Do you think the snow will last till then

The snow will still be on the north side of the hills and at the higher elevations. It's supposed to be in the 70's here this weekend. I hope so because I'm going chukar hunting on the edge of Death Valley.

I had seen the area 25 years ago not a lot has changed apparently it's absolutely stunning! Let's hope those speculators don't get the Government to sell surrounding parcels to make it worthwhile to develop and ruin it. A lot can be said about what they did to the tiny desert town of Lancaster, one decade desert by the 90's what used to be sand and schrubs had housing tracks with tens of thousands of homes with folks out front watering their lawns and gardens.

Let's hope those speculators don't get the Government to sell surrounding parcels to make it worthwhile to develop and ruin it.

It's actually going the other way. The Forest Service is bidding with the rest of the buyers when a bigger property come up for sale. They own a surprising amount of property that is outside of their borders and they use it to trade for stuff inside the lines to make nice tidy forests with no inholdings.

Water will be the key to everything. The farmers in the Antelope Valley are asserting their rights and the developers are having a problem securing guaranteed supplies. Southern California is a desert and the water that has been there for growth is getting harder to come by. In the meantime, our town well levels have been steady since '93. As long as we flush the toilets, don't water a lawn, and don't wash cars, our water just goes in a circle.

Let's hope those speculators don't get the Government to sell surrounding parcels to make it worthwhile to develop and ruin it.

It's actually going the other way. The Forest Service is bidding with the rest of the buyers when a bigger property come up for sale. They own a surprising amount of property that is outside of their borders and they use it to trade for stuff inside the lines to make nice tidy forests with no inholdings.

Water will be the key to everything. The farmers in the Antelope Valley are asserting their rights and the developers are having a problem securing guaranteed supplies. Southern California is a desert and the water that has been there for growth is getting harder to come by. In the meantime, our town well levels have been steady since '93. As long as we flush the toilets, don't water a lawn, and don't wash cars, our water just goes in a circle.

I read you, our state has grown from some 20 million to 38 million in the last 25 years. Water will be key and areas like yours certainly deserve their fair share of water. I expect something to be on the ballot within the next 5 years to address the water issue. Up north here its the San Juaquin farmers that have exerted their right to water that is helping to kill the smelt (hence bigger fish) in the Sacramento Delta. Folks that used to fish that area all the way to the Salmon at Klamath river have had disapointing seasons. I am beginning to see a ground swell of support for a new water delivery system in California from Tre-huggers to sportsmen.

I read your comment with interest in that not having a comprehensive water delivery system, and how it has hampered the developers from being interested in the land in your area. It makes me wonder if hiding behind the tree-huggers and sportsmen that want a better water delivery system are developers. Like the old railroad speculators or the land buyers in the movie "Chinatown" try to guess (manipulate) where water might be made accessible to areas of California where it currently isn't. Such knowledge would make some folks very rich.