Oil drain/catch pans

eaglescout526

What are you guys doing for these? My father and I have bought one or two from O'Rielly's and drain cap keeps busting on them. Is there a better pan out there that has no flaws or even a flaw that isnt the damn drain cap? Or hell if you know which pan I am talking about, how about a different cap that wont break?

Get one that's like a big shallow wide bucket. No lids. Tip the old oil into a pail or the empty oil jug to transport to it's final resting place, something that will actually seal.

I've tried a bunch of the self-containing kind with lids and they all turn into an environmental disaster after not many uses. I particularly hate the kind with a funnel built into the side, firstly because the funnel is always too shallow to contain the splash, but also because that tiny hole eats drain plugs, and sometimes they'll lodge in it and plug it up, then the draining oil overflows the pan.
I also can't say I've had the best luck with metal drain pans either. Unless they're stamped from a single piece they always leak from the seams.

I think this is my favourite, although it's definitely not cheap and I honestly don't know why it costs as much as it does. I mostly just like the little spout that makes for easy emptying, but the minimal topography inside makes it easy to wipe out if need be. The long handle is nice for dragging out from under things without having to reach so far underneath.

image.png.d54aee51542cd18ca782d179ccc215c8.png

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/BTE8218033

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

I think this is my favourite, although it's definitely not cheap and I honestly don't know why it costs as much as it does. I mostly just like the little spout that makes for easy emptying, but the minimal topography inside makes it easy to wipe out if need be. The long handle is nice for dragging out from under things without having to reach so far underneath.

I saw this one. It’s a good idea. Thinking about it, I don’t think oreillys cars what container the oil is in, so long it gets dumped properly. 

I’ve had this one for 25+ years, as you can tell from the faded red top, and is made by Rubbermaid. Our city offers curb side oil recycling during trash day, they provide gallon jugs so the oil doesn’t stay in the catch container.

IMG_4003.jpeg

4 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Get one that's like a big shallow wide bucket. No lids. Tip the old oil into a pail or the empty oil jug to transport to it's final resting place, something that will actually seal.

I've tried a bunch of the self-containing kind with lids and they all turn into an environmental disaster after not many uses. I particularly hate the kind with a funnel built into the side, firstly because the funnel is always too shallow to contain the splash, but also because that tiny hole eats drain plugs, and sometimes they'll lodge in it and plug it up, then the draining oil overflows the pan.
I also can't say I've had the best luck with metal drain pans either. Unless they're stamped from a single piece they always leak from the seams.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/BTE8218033

We use ones like this. To haul it to get recycled, we’ll put it in milk jugs or put it back in the original container. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is the one we use. I keep the 5 quart bottles that I buy and when I have an empty one I use a big funnel and pour slowly. Also, the lid can come all the way off and it makes it a lot easier to empty that drain pan without that lid on it. 

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/p/flotool-drain-pan-16-quart/700706_0_0

Never had any issues with it breaking.

I still think it defeats the purpose of a sealed container when you deliberately slather the side of the thing in oil. Drain pans for draining, bottles for bottling. 

On 7/13/2024 at 12:27 PM, TurboedMJ said:

This is the one we use. I keep the 5 quart bottles that I buy and when I have an empty one I use a big funnel and pour slowly. Also, the lid can come all the way off and it makes it a lot easier to empty that drain pan without that lid on it. 

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/p/flotool-drain-pan-16-quart/700706_0_0

Never had any issues with it breaking.

I actually have this container. Bought it last fall because my garage was in storage while I was between places, it was the only one at the local hardware store. Forgot about it after disposing of the oil and left it sitting in the back of a truck I parked for the winter. Found it full of water after the snow melted out of the truck bed. If water got into it…

All of our recycling places require you to take your container with you. Weather I use the under lift stand up drain or the old school metal pan, it will end up inside of a 5 gallon gas can for recycling.

I used a large say 2ft x 3ft pan under my Avalanche the last time. Had an issue with the NAPA Gold filter seal. Yeah, 4-5 quarts of oil on my driveway. NAPA filter with the red o-ring have a bad reputation. 

I appreciate your guys input. It just seems to me the market has limited choices. So I think what I am gonna do is get a better pan, dump my used oil in a bottle like a cranberry juice or gallon milk bottle as I drink both pretty often and take it to O'reillys and have them dump it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 10:50 PM, eaglescout526 said:

I appreciate your guys input. It just seems to me the market has limited choices. So I think what I am gonna do is get a better pan, dump my used oil in a bottle like a cranberry juice or gallon milk bottle as I drink both pretty often and take it to O'reillys and have them dump it. 

Old 5 gallon plastic dirtbike gas cans work nicely for transport in my experience. Or if you run Delo or know someone who does, they sell it in 2.5 gallon jugs, they’re nice as well for transportation and storage 

• 1 month later...

I should follow up on this thread. So I haven’t replaced my catch pan yet but since I’m an avid cranberry juice addict, I’ve been saving those bottles, pouring oil into them and taking the bottles to be dumped at oreillys. 

But I do like the suggestions, inputs and opinions!