Turn signal switch question

I think my turn signal switch might be bad, but before I dive into pulling the steering column apart I wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

With the truck off, if I depress the turn signal stalk I get left turn indicator lights, on the dash and front and rear turn signal, I lift the turn signal stalk I get nothing, no lights or clicking from the relay.

With the key in the accessory position, the left and right turn signals work correct with all the correct lights flashing.

Regardless of key position, hazards don't work at all, if I press the hazard button while the left turn signal is activated only the left rear turn signal flashes

While I was testing everything to write this up, the hazard switched worked correctly one time. I pressed the button, the lights on the dash, front and rear lights flashed. I turned it off and tried to turn it back on and nothing happened.

Does this seem like a switch issue, or could it be bad wiring?

I would check to make sure your bulb sockets are not corroded. I had some issues with my indicators because the original front sockets were bad. I cut the old ones off and installed some later year ones from the junkyard and everything was fixed. The 87 front sockets were poorly sealed and it was fixed it later years.

I found this wiring diagram online

https://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=196

I don't really know how to read it, but from what I can gather, I started probing the connector between the turn signal switch and the wiring harness. 

I assume that for a left turn signal I should have continuity between, the left front directional light, left rear directional light and directional flasher. For example I should have continuity between the light blue, yellow, and purple.

For the right turn signal I'm getting the continuity I expect. For the left turn I'm getting continuity to the wires I expect and the brown wire to the hazard flasher.

For the hazards, I'm getting continuity to all front and rear but no flasher. 

So I'm definitely leaning towards a bad switch. 

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll take a look at those later this week. 

Screenshot_20240428-173742.png

Does anyone have a higher quality version of the wiring diagram? I think it would be really helpful, but the one I linked is kinda hard to read.

Also the diagram I linked is for a Cherokee, but I assume Jeep used the same wiring between the mj and xj, or at least similar enough to be useful.

That's amazing ohm, thanks so much! I think that backs up what I was saying above. I Guess I'm pulling the steering column apart.

One question, for the hazard switch on the steering column, do the hazard come on when the switch is pushed in, or when is pulled out? 

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

Ohm, if it's not too much to ask, do you have the same manual for 89 and 90? The original cab wiring harness on my truck melted, so I grabbed one at a junkyard from I think an 89 or 90. Its mostly been plug and play, but a few things, like the A/C fan plug have been different

10 minutes ago, tdtony said:

One question, for the hazard switch on the steering column, do the hazard come on when the switch is pushed in, or when is pulled out?

IDK. Anyone else.

3 hours ago, tdtony said:

Pushed in=hazards on. I just checked. 

1 hour ago, GonzoTheGreat said:

Pushed in=hazards on. I just checked. 

Thanks, that's what I assumed, but the Manuel say "out" position so I just wanted to double check

Screenshot_20240428-233659.png

I've been troubleshooting my 87 Comanche for similar problems around the turn signals etc. I haven't gotten around to it yet but the next thing on my list is to try and replace the turn signal switch. In my case, hazards work fine, left turn signal turns on both sides and right side sort of works but lights are dim. Let us all know what the results are after you replace the turn signal switch. 

10 hours ago, JYau said:

I've been troubleshooting my 87 Comanche for similar problems around the turn signals etc. I haven't gotten around to it yet but the next thing on my list is to try and replace the turn signal switch. In my case, hazards work fine, left turn signal turns on both sides and right side sort of works but lights are dim. Let us all know what the results are after you replace the turn signal switch. 

I just ordered the new switch, so hopefully I'll have I'm update this weekend

Got the new switch in today and tested it out and compared it to the electrical manual

1 - white - to brake switch

2 - green - Right Rear stop/Turn light

3 - yellow - left Rear stop/Turn light

4 - purple - turn signal flasher

5 - brown - hazard flasher

6 - dark blue - instrument panel and front right turn signal

7 - light blue - instrument panel and front left turn signal

For Fog lights - I don't have fog lights so I didn't look into these

8 - black

9 - green

10 - green/Brown

with the turn signal stalk in the normal position and the hazard button not pressed you should have continuity between wires 1,2, and 3

Left turn you should have continuity between wires 3, 4, and 7

Right Turn you should have continuity between wires 2, 4, and 6

Hazards you should have continuity between wires 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7

@JYau let me know if that helps you test and diagnose your issue

I'm gonna pull the steering column apart this weekend and install the new switch

PXL_20240428_190336861.jpg

I took my steering column apart to replace the turn signal switch and while I was in there I decided I was gonna replace the turn signal stalk. I didn't realize it just pulled out, so I removed the wiper housing. 

Now I've got two problems, while taking it off this black piece of metal fell off something, any one know if this is important and where it belongs? 

And second I can't seem to get the teeth to line up the for the ignition. 

Anyone have any advice?

PXL_20240505_172754887.jpg

PXL_20240505_173030776.jpg

PXL_20240505_173040350.jpg

Just incase it helps someone else in the future, that piece of metal is the "lock rack preload spring". I've circled in red where it goes.

PXL_20240505_001350857~2.jpg

During this process I managed to lose the little piece of metal that connects the turn signal switch to the stalk. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to go to a junk yard to get a replacement. Does anyone know what years have that same piece? The manual Eagle shared makes me think it was used until at least 91

PXL_20240504_230401447~2.jpg

Seeing the steering column apart here in this thread is the reason why I haven't taken mine apart yet. But I really appreciate the pictures and tips posted here by @tdtony it will help me a lot when I get around to tackling my turn signal wiring issues. 

12 hours ago, tdtony said:

During this process I managed to lose the little piece of metal that connects the turn signal switch to the stalk. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to go to a junk yard to get a replacement. Does anyone know what years have that same piece? The manual Eagle shared makes me think it was used until at least 91

PXL_20240504_230401447~2.jpg

The part is called the Turn Signal Follower or Actuator Arm, the part number I've used for searches is 7827038. 

Here is one on eBay (not my listing):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/285679791957?itmmeta=01HXAVGJ1SVXNQ9Z4E774W9BBW&hash=item4283d7af55:g:1ZcAAOSwzfFluzcg&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4G1qcyuZmKAzxAsH3bI%2BmDAUw9tU%2FicCRAvNWTjslN%2B26jpL2FuZNjX6CLSG6D8A6B8716VzX3dxg7Q%2Bzl2ywW1wU%2BBckQgysvr3K065TPMY59crZEvTNUGOxfvX1OwIH%2Bkh3suaQtKxrzPr19RHotW%2B0XG%2BImbANqpBxFsXrbonVjLNrkkR0LDbZtO5mx3scKFhbMRu1EISnB%2Bf1sOwKDil6b7ZH9ZElnfki0a06BhjSAgF0G%2FQ0CF7fnZjxxzW4CvpEEZTZ6cGZftoWND%2BRKOt1uZ3K16qFI5Om9iHJVxK|tkp%3ABk9SR4KhwtvqYw

I think I have one if you would rather deal with a member.