Coolant temp gauge

Hey Guys,

I have 1988 4.0l, prior to changing the temp sensor at the back of the head the gauge would never get above 160 indicated on the dash. I changed the sensor and got the same result, when i stepped out of the truck and back in (20 seconds) it had jumped to 215-220. How do i go about troubleshooting the gauge? I'm not terribly worried about the higher temp at this time, i just want to be sure I'm getting the correct reading (and yes, I'm buying an infared gun soon!). 

thanks!

They're cheap enough that i'm willing to replace again, however the sticking was happening with the old thermostat other than it never read above 160 on the gauge which lead me to go ahead and change the sensor. That's why i'm weary of the gauge reading vs the thermostat. I probably would have not changed the thermostat but when i got the truck it had a replacement thermostat in the center console that was clearly never change before the truck was parked for 20 years.

I'll try the temperature gun and see if things are matching up.

27 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

That is correct. BUT, the aftermarket Motorad thermostats don't hold a candle to the ones they make for Mopar. 

I want to agree with you but I also don’t want to disagree with you there either. I put in a mopar motorad a few years ago. Now it’s opening up either a bit to early or it’s partially stuck. One of the two and I hate changing the t-stat. Hate the idea of changing it frequently too. 

Wow. My experience has been:

Three 4.0s in the family. I put a brand new Stant SuperStat 195* in each one. All of them exhibited the same symptoms. took a while to warm up. Ran a little cool and got rather hot before opening up and cooling down. 

Warranteed all 3 and replaced with new SuperStats. 

Same symptoms. 

I bought a new 8983501426XX stat from the dealer and put it in one of the 4.0s. Warmed up quickly. Temp stayed rock solid with no swing at the top end. 

So, I replaced the other 2 SuperStats with factory Mopar. Same results.

You think you don't like replacing stats? That was 9 times!!!!

In tech school I was taught to bench test every new thermostat in a pot of water on the stove top (with a thermometer), before installation.   And this was 36 years ago.  So questionable thermostats aren't something new or recent.

I guess a bench test might not pick up funky operation at operating temp, but it will tell you if it is opening at the right temp, if it is opening smoothly, and if it is closing smoothly.  

During bench testing I've seen ones not open at a full boil, I've seen them open well before their rated temp, and I've seen them stick partway open when cooling down.  I don't recall the brands.  And I haven't changed a thermostat in years.  I trust one that's 20 years old and working before I trust a brand new one.

How is your cooling system at holding pressure?  I assume it's still the Renix closed system.  My truck would run cool until it sat and idled, then it would spike in temperature.  Replacing the expansion tank with a new one that didn't have a slow leak fixed everything.

2 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

How is your cooling system at holding pressure?  I assume it's still the Renix closed system.  My truck would run cool until it sat and idled, then it would spike in temperature.  Replacing the expansion tank with a new one that didn't have a slow leak fixed everything.

I didn’t think to check. It definitely doesn’t leak fluid but i don't know if the cap is holding pressure. I’ll check today. 

Update. 

Infrared gun pointed at the upper cooling hose more or less matches the dash gauge. Temp is ranging from 205-215 while idling in the driveway. So i’ll cross that anxiety off the list and move on. Maybe the gauge just needed to loosen up after sitting 20 years?