2100 rpm idle out of nowhere

Went to go to work and when I started my truck it was idling at 2100 rpm. I drive it every day and had no issues when I parked it yesterday. No problem with the pedal or cable. I Guess I need to check for IAC issues.

I had previously noticed that my electric fan starts running almost immediately when I start the truck, probably not related.

1 hour ago, EUREKA said:

I had previously noticed that my electric fan starts running almost immediately when I start the truck, probably not related.

If you're talking about the 88 and if equipped, could you tell if the AC Clutch engaged with the fan ON? ECU will kick idle up if it sees AC SELECT/AC REQUEST signals.

4 hours ago, Ωhm said:

If you're talking about the 88 and if equipped, could you tell if the AC Clutch engaged with the fan ON? ECU will kick idle up if it sees AC SELECT/AC REQUEST signals.

I'll have to check to see if the AC clutch is engaged next time I start it cold.

4 minutes ago, EUREKA said:

I'll have to check to see if the AC clutch is engaged next time I start it cold.

If/when it happens again set AC Mode Select Switch to VENT or HEAT. See if the problem goes away. Quick check.

• 1 month later...

Well it happened again. Started the truck cold and it started instantly as it normally does and idled at 2000 rpms. The AC mode switch was set to vent but last month it stopped working anyway and is permanently on defrost. When I shifted into any gear the rpm's dropped to just over 1000, shifting back to park or neutral it returned to 2000 rpm.

Turned the engine off and restarted, the same condition occurred.

Turned the engine of again and let it sit for a few minutes. Then upon staring it is now idling normally.

Maybe the IAC is sticking? Too intermittent for a vacuum leak I think.

It seems like my 88 has randomly done that occasionally for as long as I can remember. On the last trip, it was idling at about 2500+ RPM when I started it. My Nick in Time Design REM showed the throttle position to be 33%, (normal idle is 17%). I popped the hood to check that the throttle wasn't stuck and it was fully closed. I shut it down and started it a few times and it went back to 17%. I'm guessing that I'm blaming my 2 year old Standard IGN TPS is to blame, but it has occasionally done the same thing even before the current TPS was installed, so who knows. I have also done all of Cruiser 54's fixes. If you don't have an REM on a Renix, I highly recommend getting one!

4 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Did it slow down once warmed up? 

It slowed down without warming up. The third time I started it, the idle speed was normal and it was still dead cold.