Exhaust help please, 10 years and still no real options available...

Years ago I had a custom exhaust done, it was/is terrible.  The clamped connections all leak, the donut has blown out and the input of the muffler will spin by hand and obviously leaks.  I see that there is a stainless downpipe from ebay I will get, but I need help on the rest.  I need a cat or pipe replacement to go from the tailpipe to the downpipe.  I can't seem to find any tailpipe for the 6' bed, only the 7' bed.  I would love stainless, but no one wants to make one because no one will ever buy it.  I need a QUIET muffler, I have had two different mufflers and they were both loud and just want quiet now.  Yes, I'm old.  My neighbors hear my truck running for 15 minutes every morning revving up and down.  Yeah my idle sucks and have spent countless times with little improvement, another bother on it's own.  

Please give me options/links to individual parts.  Here is the downpipe I am going to get.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174147556494

I have an aFe stainless header so I'm good there.

I went with a Walker 22502 muffler this fall. Its a stainless “quiet flow” muffler, not whisper quiet but it’s much better than what I had before. The loudest thing on the truck is my studded tires now. 
I also put a stainless cat on at the same time, Walker 15773. 

The two are both slip-fit, 2-1/4”. They fit well with the Walker tailpipe on my longbed and whatever stock replacement downpipe I put on a while back, no cutting necessary. If you can track down the tailpipe it was convenient, but if you’ve got an exhaust shop locally they should be able to bend one up for you out of stainless.

I’m also in the same boat. Sick of rattling my neighbours’ dishes in their cupboards. Now I need to do something similar for my ZJ.

Walker 46701 for the short bed.
47605 for the long bed.

I’ve seen a couple other manufacturers with different numbers but they look essentially the same as the Walker, at least in online pictures.

RockAuto.com shows stock for both. And they’re usually accurate. Dunno what shipping something that big will set you back, or what shape it’ll be in when it gets to you. For me it was prohibitive. I managed to get them “locally” but wouldn’t have got them otherwise.  The Walker stuff is acceptable quality but not much more than that. If you’d prefer stainless it’s definitely worth talking to a local exhaust shop… if you’ve got one. I didn’t at the time. 
If your option is cutting down the long bed to fit a short bed you’re better off going full custom. The bends are similar but the hangers are in the wrong place and it needs shortened in two spots. 

I just bought the short bed one, 46701, this week. $35 shipping. It showed up today in good shape. Walker’s not going to last as long as stainless, but it’s a lot cheaper than a custom exhaust. The last one I did in my ‘88 lined up great with the hangers and everything. 

I bought a Maremont tailpipe for my 88 short bed in April, 2023.   Both Rock Auto and a Canadian supplier, The Wrench Monkey (Toronto), listed a Walker pipe at the time but were out of stock.   Wrench Monkey offered to bring in a Maremont and that was fine with me.   If it helps, the part # is 360519 T55056.   Maremont is a Tennessee company so you should be able to get one in the US. 

53 minutes ago, GonzoTheGreat said:

I just bought the short bed one, 46701, this week. $35 shipping. It showed up today in good shape. Walker’s not going to last as long as stainless, but it’s a lot cheaper than a custom exhaust. The last one I did in my ‘88 lined up great with the hangers and everything. 

That’s not too bad then. They want $325 to ship up to the Great White North. 😂

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184867586044

this company has pipes / muffler that should work . The muffler/pipes are stainless The muffler bolts right on , the pipe hanger may need modified to work . I ended up switching the exhaust/trans mount  bracket to a 96 + xj and if slides right in with no mods . 
plenty of stainless converters to choose from too 

22 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I had read that, and when I looked last year they were out of stock, but they were back last week, and:

IMG_2320.jpeg.4c2c82af508fca65495263f1824ec0bb.jpeg

:dunno:

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

That’s not too bad then. They want $325 to ship up to the Great White North. 😂

Hah! Yeah, no. Maybe you should buy a whole truck load and start a secondary market in Canada! :laugh:

My local Napa was also able to order it within a few days, PN: “EXH 46701“ Maybe that’s an option

I don’t really need one right now. But Napa is currently showing zero inventory in Canada.

I’m sure I could figure something out if I needed to. Napa can pull from the US distribution centres if they really need to, and the local parts store is pretty well connected too. It would just be a matter of waiting. 

9 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184867586044

this company has pipes / muffler that should work . The muffler/pipes are stainless The muffler bolts right on , the pipe hanger may need modified to work . I ended up switching the exhaust/trans mount  bracket to a 96 + xj and if slides right in with no mods . 
plenty of stainless converters to choose from too 

Why did you switch your cross member?  Was it due to exhaust only, or were there other considerations?

25 minutes ago, knever3 said:

Why did you switch your cross member?  Was it due to exhaust only, or were there other considerations?

To be clear it wasn’t the whole crossmember it was just the adapter plate that bolts to the bottom of the transmission that has the rubber isolator that the exhaust mount slides into. It mounts between the transmission mount and the transmission itself.No other considerations ....just so I didn’t have to modify anything. As long as they make those stainless pipe I shouldn’t have to do anything extra again.

Ok, next question and it's a doozy...

I currently don't have a cat installed when the last exhaust shop did it.  I could buy the Walker cat for $163, or a piece of stainless pipe of length equivalent for $25.  I plan on going with lap joint band clamps so I will just buy the correct fit ones to slip over the pipes and tighten down.  I am not going with the cheap $3 U-clamps and pinching the pipe anymore.  I want the ability to remove it if needed.  I am also wondering if it will contribute to a quieter sound if I go with the cat.  I have a 4.7L stroker motor and I am not worried the least bit about performance at this point, just quiet sound and a nice simple install.

If I go with the cat are there any drawbacks?  I would save $130 going this route, but the thought of a scrubbed exhaust without the smell is appealing, plus the possibility of a quieter sound, acting like a resonator of sorts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BDF9FZ3L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TLXJZFCGL7E5&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDK3HD6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A2Y7J3VVCF64S3&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C8Z9HE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=APDXIEMX0ZAGX&psc=1

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/walker-tail-pipe-aluminized-70-46701/3384772-P

I price shopped and found Advance Auto to have a great price on the tailpipe so I went ahead and ordered that first.  

The cat cleaning up my exhaust smell was a definite plus. I personally didn’t notice a power loss through the butt dyno but that’s the primary concern. They say usually not more than 5hp loss anyhow due to the restriction.

My primary motivation was that the way the world is going it would probably be easier to put a cat in now while I was replacing most of the system anyhow than it would be to deal with whatever consequences of not having one might turn into in the next few years. Probably wouldn’t ever be an issue for most of us, but it’s not a huge amount of money.