Twin stick 231 tcase?

Something I've toyed with the idea of a few times and I've even gone as far as to kinda re-invent the wheel to some degree on how I'd make it work.

Current fork has 2 purposes, 2wd/4wd and then also high/low range... can it really be that bad to separate those into independent functions? Also gaining the ability to have 2wd-low range.

I realize teraflex makes a 2-low fork but at the $350 price tag I think I could do better and also by not adding a 5th position to the already somewhat clunky factory tcase shift setup.

If you still have the D30 CAD and feel the need for 2WD in low range, you could install a valve on the vacuum line that engages the CAD.

With the valve closed (no vacuum) there will be no traction on the front wheels.

That clunky factory t-case shift setup could be improved by using this Transfer Case Linkage Kit, I just got 3 kits, for my MJ and other 2 Jeeps.

image.jpeg.aac5473a1f7ee6d0be80e8d835e90ca5.jpeg

The internals of the 231 use one solid piece to shift in and out the front output as well as selecting hi-n-lo.  You'd have to design a system to separate the two functions.  That would mean a new or highly modified case.

It's possible. Just nowhere as easy as it is with a fully gear driven case.

10 hours ago, 512tr said:

If you still have the D30 CAD and feel the need for 2WD in low range, you could install a valve on the vacuum line that engages the CAD.

With the valve closed (no vacuum) there will be no traction on the front wheels.

That clunky factory t-case shift setup could be improved by using this Transfer Case Linkage Kit, I just got 3 kits, for my MJ and other 2 Jeeps.

image.jpeg.aac5473a1f7ee6d0be80e8d835e90ca5.jpeg

I've definitely considered doing this with my CAD as I frequently use low range to backup to a trailer and it's easier on the t case to not bind it up on the concrete driveway.

The transfer case linkage kit is a nice upgrade, fiddly to install but much smoother to engage.