Friends don’t let friends use Por15?

WranglerMangler

Wowzers thats kinda wild. Well I'm glad I did not repaint the bottom of my comanche yet lol. Will definitely save me some money over purchasing por15.

His recommended choice of mastercoat + raptor liner + AG-111 might work well, but at the same time, any paint that has a prep coat + 1 base coat + 2 additional coats of paint will do better than 1 prep coat and just one coat of base paint. I do wonder what prep+rustoleum+Ag111 would yield. That might be the best bang/buck choice there.

1 hour ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Wowzers thats kinda wild. Well I'm glad I did not repaint the bottom of my comanche yet lol. Will definitely save me some money over purchasing por15.

His recommended choice of mastercoat + raptor liner + AG-111 might work well, but at the same time, any paint that has a prep coat + 1 base coat + 2 additional coats of paint will do better than 1 prep coat and just one coat of bast paint. I do wonder what prep+rustoleum+Ag111 would yield. That might be the best bang/buck choice there.

I was always under the impression that Por15 was supposed to be the ultimate stuff for rust protection. But if brake fluid melts it fairly quickly. We may want to reconsider our options. Especially with the cheap crap replacement parts we get these days and how much work is involved in the project. That Ag111 seems like a great top coat for anything. Assuming the tests were all true and honest. Think I may follow his advice of Mastercoat+ raptor+ Ag111 

I really like the Chassis Saver paint. Similar process to POR15, but it’s been a much better product in my experience. The floors in my Comanche were coated with it after rust repair and they still look the exact same. Both my Comanche and Eagle have Chassis Saver and have been great. My Eagle has even seen salt since getting its Chassis Saver treatment and you can’t tell. 

I certainly hope that competing products get better with time.  :L:  POR came out long enough ago that I read about it in magazines.  it is crazy sensitive to application.  far more so than the newer stuff. 

Saw that this morning, random YouTube suggested vid. It is nice to see continued improvements in the field. Nuts how procrastinating on all my projects is paying off the way everyone told me it wouldn’t 😅

Its also pretty cool we have the internet available to see everything that’s out there, and there’s people actually putting these products to semi-scientific testing. Instead of some questionable reviews that may or may not be based on proper application conditions, that are constantly bombarded with “you did it wrong” comments from people who may have never used anything else, or the “opinion” of someone selling or being sold a product. There’s a lot of time and money investment needed in that sort of testing and not all of us have the means to do it on our own. 

I got suggested a few of his videos or rust proofing undersprays as well and am looking forward to watching them. I’ve put a fair bit of research into that sort of thing in the past and it’s always nice to see if new products are out there and how they stack up to the old faithful. 

I watched this video the other day.  I'm interested to try something else out.  My method of loctite rust converter then prime and paint has not exactly worked out great.  I've used some phosphoric acid products at seem to have worked well.

• 1 month later...

I've used POR15,  Master Series, Rust Bullet and Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. Without doing scientific testing, there was no clear winner. I used POR15 on my 1969 Nova 25 years ago and it's still good. It seems to have the hardest finish out of all of them, bad if you plan on sanding it, but maybe otherwise good? POR will also peel if surface prep isn't correct.

Master Series and Rust Bullet  seemed pretty similar from what I  remember. Both of them and the Rust encapsulator can be sanded for top coating easier. I think the rust encapsulator was the thinnest out of all of them. I did like that it is the only one of them that is available in a spray an for hard to reach areas.

They all seemed terrific compared to a can of standard spray paint!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a lot of research into this sort of thing because the underside and interior of the Pioneer will be given some form of treatment soon. I do occasionally visit Ranger and Rover forums, as well as other Jeep forums and I lurk the F-Series pickup forums for general tidbits. 

I keep seeing products by PPG being mentioned. I forget the name of the exact product but one recommendation I kept receiving was for a product I think called Omni170. 

Any word on this option?

Omni 170 is an epoxy primer. It might be good for preventing rust on clean metal, but wouldn't take the place of the moisture cured urethanes for metal that already has rust. It may make a good topcoat over them, though?

5 hours ago, Htchevyii said:

Omni 170 is an epoxy primer. It might be good for preventing rust on clean metal, but wouldn't take the place of the moisture cured urethanes for metal that already has rust. It may make a good topcoat over them, though?

I watched the video posted above and found the results to be enlightening. Look, the thing I'm reading is that POR-15 may very well have been considered the standard at one time, but since then it has undergone ownership change. New owners often down share the exact same vision, philosophy, passion, or instinct of the previous, so it's easy to understand that at some time, the formula changed. 

I do wonder if applying an epoxy primer over second or third layer of the recommended treatment (per the video) would give the the finish a tough-as-nails shell? Might that be worth a try?