Steering box

I have been reading on all these Durango, s10, psc ect swaps. I have driven everything under the sun power, non power, rack and pinion, ect. I have driven several cherokees. However I have not driven one with a lift or 33” tires. Is it really that big of a deal? I’m gonna run 33 and definitely won’t be goin larger. I am gonna change out my steer boxes on all three builds for a couple reasons. 1st they have been sitting out side for who knows how long with open line connections, 2nd they are all from the 80’s and I’m sure that doesn’t help plus I have no idea how much abuse they have had. I do know my comanche was an Arizona fire truck. Yj came from Canada ended up north of Houston, and my cherokee had some sub par issues. Figured while I’m replacing everything I may as well replace everything. My question is is there anything wrong running a stock box? What’s the downside? I realize these are Jeeps and not really what I’d call plush cushy rides. Nor am I building them to be. If it lands somewhere between no power and power steer effort levels that’s fine but little banged up and aged a bit for no power steer feel. Any suggestions? These will see mostly road some off road and mud. Not a rock hopper nor do I care to be. Rolled enough cars to last me a few life times. Plus I don’t have that kind of money. These will have sbc in em as well as stick shift but the engine doesn’t really add anymore wieght than the original engine, 4.0 I did the new ball joints and the rugged ridge hd steering along with rubicon ex controls, drop box ect.

I’ve run psc, redhead, Durango and stock boxes. For 33’s on my MJ I had a stock box rebuilt by PSC. About the same quality as redhead gears. Also ran a psc stock style pump. Worked great for onroad with occasional wheeling. I like plenty of steering feedback though. If you want more effortless steering, go with the psc big bore or a redneck ram setup. For tight and precise steering though, the number one improvement was to run the ironman track bar and steering brace setup. Once that was dialed in just right, it’s as close to rack and pinion steering as I’ve ever felt in a Jeep. And that was 6” of lift on 33’s. 

I liked the WJ pump and Durango box in my XJ that had 33s. Was a huge improvement vs the stock. But the stock one was on its way out. To answer your question nothing wrong with stock for what youre describing. Only suggestion is a quality rebuild. I have a redhead in my WJ and will probably do that in the MJ when the time comes.

I'm lucky in that I have a local business close to me that specializes in rebuilding steering boxes.  I've had two CJ boxes rebuilt, and he converted them from the standard slow ratio to a slightly faster variable ratio.  You can mail him your box and he will rebuild and return it.  Not cheap but I feel like the value is in getting a part that was rebuilt by someone with years of experience specializing in one area.  And for me, being local there are no shipping costs.  Also the website has some good tech info to browse through.  

https://www.powersteering.com

Thank you guys so much! Been lookin at the redhead. This jeep world is so different from when I was building back in the day! Your choice was this and well that’s it. Pull the old one off and put the new one on. Very thankful for everyone on here and their knowledge! Can only imagine what it was like in the early years of trial and error! Merry Christmas to you all!

I'm going to try the Barnes brace and spacer on my stock XJ. It does not have the sector shaft support like the Iron Man and others, but I don't think it needed on a stock ish build and it doesn't require sway bar drop brackets.

https://barnes4wd.com/collections/xj-steering-upgrades

If you're interested in the style with the pinion support, here's a link to the Amazon one that I put on the MJ.

Your YJ box should be heavier duty than the XJ box. I plan to go that route on an XJ I have. I have used an stock XJ box with 32's. Also the Ironman brace. Mine also had WJ Big Brakes and cross over steering. My present XJ is on 31's. WJ BBs and Cross over steering. Also, A Bad Dad Fab Hidden Winch Mount with Steering Box brace. Excellent steering. That is with a stock box.