Leg Room

My Comanche still has the stock bench and it does not have enough leg room for me to comfortably drive much more than 15 minutes. My knees get sore if I sit with them bent very long (I know I’m too young to have knee issues, but the doctor said it is what it is. Kinda frustrating, but it is what it is). It isn’t room between the seat and steering wheel that I need, I need to be able to sit with my legs straighter. And I already drive with my left foot up against the firewall. 

Has anyone found solutions that let you sit with your legs straighter in these trucks?

So do you want a taller, lower or more angled seat? I like as much knee support as possible but find that typically comes from raising the front of the seat a bit to provide thigh support. But if you want to keep your leg straight without bending the knee you’ll need to sit lower and further back. Once you know what kind of ergonomics you need, the appropriate mod will reveal itself

22 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

So do you want a taller, lower or more angled seat? I like as much knee support as possible but find that typically comes from raising the front of the seat a bit to provide thigh support. But if you want to keep your leg straight without bending the knee you’ll need to sit lower and further back. Once you know what kind of ergonomics you need, the appropriate mod will reveal itself

I need to sit farther back, but I’d like to avoid being lower if possible

3 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

I have found that putting about a 3/8" spacer under the front seat mounts accomplishes a couple things.

Kinda moves you back and gives support under the thighs while lifting your feet up and away from the floorboards. 

Thank you! I’ll have to try that

I have the same issue as you and found the bench seat incredibly uncomfortable on my knees.  When I purchased my second Comanche, the bucket seats were a must.  They are far more comfortable on my knees but I do have to make a compromise of seat back angle vs how far back the bottom slides.  I find that I prefer more gangster lean to the seat back than the average person, however the optimum lower seat placement requires the seat back to be more vertical than is comfortable to me as the headrest is against the rear window.

I have thought that a bit of lifting the front of the seat would help.  Or just lifting the seat an inch if you have the headroom.

If you are more adventurous, a modification to the pedals could help 

2 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

I have the same issue as you and found the bench seat incredibly uncomfortable on my knees.  When I purchased my second Comanche, the bucket seats were a must.  They are far more comfortable on my knees but I do have to make a compromise of seat back angle vs how far back the bottom slides.  I find that I prefer more gangster lean to the seat back than the average person, however the optimum lower seat placement requires the seat back to be more vertical than is comfortable to me as the headrest is against the rear window.

I have thought that a bit of lifting the front of the seat would help.  Or just lifting the seat an inch if you have the headroom.

If you are more adventurous, a modification to the pedals could help 

Thank you, good to know on the buckets. I don’t mind sitting more vertically. I may also try lifting it some. 

I put a set of XJ rocker buckets in my MJ (using my MJ floor brackets).  It was one of the best mods I ever did to it.  The only downside is the spacing between the bottom of the steering wheel and the front of the bucket seat.  Getting in/out, I had to slide my right leg carefully under the steering wheel.  When seated though, I had perfect position (with my legs on either side of the wheel).

43 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

I put a set of XJ rocker buckets in my MJ (using my MJ floor brackets).  It was one of the best mods I ever did to it.  The only downside is the spacing between the bottom of the steering wheel and the front of the bucket seat.  Getting in/out, I had to slide my right leg carefully under the steering wheel.  When seated though, I had perfect position (with my legs on either side of the wheel).

Thank you, I will look into that some