Routing of factory antenna cable?

On my 88 MJ,  I'm getting around to installing a replacement for the factory antenna (removed it long ago) and I'm not sure where the cable is supposed to enter the cab. I happen to already have the front fender of of my 91 project so I took a picture to help with communication.

PXL_20231121_204251441.jpg

Number 4 indeed. Keep in mind there are multiple radio antenna cables that AMC / chrysler used through the years. There are different antenna connectors and different sheet metal panel rubber plugs. Make sure that hole is sealed well as it's a source of water ingress from the front fenders.

Some folks have had success using these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LGNDD2G/

Good luck :wink:

I Think #4 is for power antenna wiring, power option might also route the antenna cable there, someone with that option would need to say for sure. My non-power equipped 87SWB has #4 capped. #1 and #3 don't go inside. #2 I'm pretty sure is where mine was routed when I took everything apart, though that may have been moved there by someone in the last 36 1/2 years. The door/ ctsy light switch wire for the pass. side can be felt inside #2. It goes inside the cab through a very small rubber grommet. Putting the antenna cable through #2 does make available another well-positioned opening just above below the door switch wire/ grommet.

Untitled.jpg

8 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Hole #4, obviously you need a grommet and make a loop so it’s lower than the hole before it enters the cab.

Thanks! My 88 does have a plastic plug in that location. What is strange is that the plastic plug has no hole in it, as if an antenna cable had never been run through there. Maybe I stuck a new grommet in it and don't remember.

10 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Number 4 indeed. Keep in mind there are multiple radio antenna cables that AMC / chrysler used through the years. There are different antenna connectors and different sheet metal panel rubber plugs. Make sure that hole is sealed well as it's a source of water ingress from the front fenders.

Some folks have had success using these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LGNDD2G/

Good luck :wink:

Thanks, I will probably buy those. Even If I don't use them on this I'm sure I will use them someday, somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Gojira94 said:

I Think #4 is for power antenna wiring, power option might also route the antenna cable there, someone with that option would need to say for sure. My non-power equipped 87SWB has #4 capped. #1 and #3 don't go inside. #2 I'm pretty sure is where mine was routed when I took everything apart, though that may have been moved there by someone in the last 36 1/2 years. The door/ ctsy light switch wire for the pass. side can be felt inside #2. It goes inside the cab through a very small rubber grommet. Putting the antenna cable through #2 does make available another well-positioned opening just above the door switch wire/ grommet.

Thanks for the info. This is for a non-powered antenna.

The antenna cable has a big ol rubber cone like this. Unfortunately, some are larger than others and don't always fit. If it's smaller, you can always heatshrink the OD and shove it in the panel hole. She'll be right.

s-l1600.jpg

Also, @fiatslug87 I did not realize the front kick panels had sound deadening juke behind them. Interesting. My radio-less base model did not.