How much should I pay for Rubicon JK axles?

Hey, first post ever. I finally got my ‘89 MJ about a couple months ago for $2,700 at 244k miles. 4.0, 2wd, BA-10, shortbed, rear slider, bucket seats, and almost bone stock. Not much rust at all besides the passenger floor pan. 

I’ve started going to junkyards looking for replacement parts and upgrades from XJs, ZJs, and WJs, and I recently found a 2008 JK Rubicon with both axles, transfer case, and even fox shocks. No idea how many miles were on it, and it looked like it had ~37” tires. 
I’ve been planning a 4x4 swap and have been looking for the right donor. I don’t have much wrenching or fab experience, but I’ve inherited a whole garage workshop of tools. I have a plasma cutter, 220 amp TIG and AC welder, metal lathes, bandsaws, bench grinders, and even more stuff I haven’t dug up yet. 

For now, I’ve been enjoying how low to the ground my bed is and have been using my Comanche for light duty pickup tasks. But my vision is to have a reliable enough rig to take on long road trips to wheel on all types of terrain that I can’t get in Florida. My potential plans still vary from mild to wild, but I love the idea of having something overbuilt and heavy duty. 

To address my original question, what price point makes it worth it to grab these JK Rubicon axles and/or tcase? There is some surface rust, but I’m not sure how many miles were on the axle or how else to inspect its condition. Would this be any cheaper or better than putting lockers in a different axle and/or building it?

Realistically, I don’t know exactly what I’m getting into but I have a lot more time and ambition than I have money.

IMG_0723.jpeg

reliability > toughness. :L:  before you get crazy with the plans, you're going to want to go through EVERYTHING.  twice.  chances are slim that your dana 30 is going to be the thing that leaves you stranded if you're still rocking ancient cooling and fuel systems.

the link in my signature has a link to Cruiser54's wiring tips.  start there and do all that apply. :L:

Thanks for the reply, I’ve already been doing cruisers tips and my next big job is replacing most of the brake system. I’ve got a spongy brake pedal that sinks at red lights and locks up my rears before my fronts even start. I replaced the serpentine belt and idler pulley but am still chasing down a squeak. I also appreciate input on getting my priorities straight, but I still wouldn’t want to pass up a set of JK Rubicon axles at the right price even if they sat in my garage for months. 

23 minutes ago, Drahcir495 said:

Another Floridian?

Can you tell if they are both D44’s. And do they have the lockers in them?

I thought all JK Rubicons had front and rear 44s, and also both had lockers. I had also read somewhere that Rubicon axles are one of the only ways to get a LSD/locker combo, not that that’s a priority for me. 

The front looks much beefier than my D30. I don’t know how to distinguish if they have lockers or not.

They should both be 44’s with e-lockers. Should be HD44’s with 8.9” ring gears also. Not bad axles but not a straight swap by any means. Different bolt patter at the wheels, different width and none of the bracketry will fill the MJ. I’m no pricing expert but I’d be looking maybe in the 1k range for both if they were in good shape. I wouldn’t want them if they had been running 37’s though. Not that they can’t handle them but it’s far more likely that someone had been abusing them. 

2 hours ago, jakesmog said:

I thought all JK Rubicons had front and rear 44s, and also both had lockers. I had also read somewhere that Rubicon axles are one of the only ways to get a LSD/locker combo, not that that’s a priority for me. 

I didn't see the Rubicon in the post :dunce:

16 hours ago, jakesmog said:

The front looks much beefier than my D30. I don’t know how to distinguish if they have lockers or not.

TJ Rubicons have the LSD/locker.  But they operate at very low air pressure (5psi) so you need the compressors that come with the TJ.  And they're not as strong as they could be.  Most people ditch the factory lockers when they fail and go with aftermarket alternatives. Almost nobody seeks out factory TJ lockers.

Jks went to a different brand of lockers and don't have any LSD in them.

Don't push out the possibility that front D44 could be bent as well. Not uncommon at all.

I think what your asking is a rather unfair question though. What's it worth- your intentions- your abilities. There's a few unknowns here. What could be considered your mild to wild can very drastically from one other on here consider at both ends of that spectrum.

A cheaper route for trial and error I would suggest- get a moderate lift (3" or soo) get some bigger tires. Find a Ford 8.8 w/ the lsd and 4.10 gears. Gear swap the d30 to match and then go wheeling. You may realize your already more than capable enough for your intended needs.