1995 yj rio grande

I just picked up this 1995 yj rio grande for my wife since I like to take the mj to car shows and it doesn't have a back seat for my son so we bought this for stupid cheap. It's a 4cyl auto with the 2.5. Runs and drives perfect. Should be a fun build. 

IMG_20230805_213814_775.jpg

IMG_20230806_204033_811.jpg

I had this YJ back in ‘99.  I put Mustang wheels on it that I painted black.  It needed a slave cyl. (Inside the bellhousing) and so was only $3k, a good deal at the time…it was a fancy Sahara model.  I kind of wish I’d kept it but it was from up north and had frame rot.  They do seem to be getting cheap around here but they all need a lot of love..  it looks like you got a nice one..

IMG_4500.jpeg

18 hours ago, acfortier said:

Nice! I feel like I'm seeing more and more YJs available for cheap around here. I guess they're just not holding their value like they used to.

Absolutely, the prices have gone down. Paid $900 it needs a frame. It has some rot holes out by the rear shackles. I could patch it but honestly frame swap is way easier. We do it at the shop all the time in a weekend on customer jeeps.

Pete, it's got 3.73. I'm going to get a rolling chassis from my boss with 4.10 axles.

The Rio Grande models were all 4 cylinders.  It's a neat package, I always thought they looked good with the tan/camel interior color.  I've seen them in light pearlstone (gold), white, and dark green, but there may be others.  

1995 YJ Rio Grand body on my 83 CJ.

20220429 Arch Canyon.jpeg

It's to bad that the previous owner riveted the dimond plate over a clean body. I removed it fully expecting it to be covering rust (which i get) but to put it over a clean body socks now there's are like 30 tiny holes I need to rust proof and fill with silicon.

20230814_205451.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/22/2023 at 9:01 PM, neohic said:

Looking great! Any surprises with the frame swap? Also, what suspension is it on now?

Pretty striagh forward with the frame swap. I lifted the body off with a harbor frieght engine crane and put it up on sawhorses in my single car garage. Rolled the old frame with axles and engine out next to the new frame and swapped everything over piece by piece. Rolled the new set up back in the garage under the body and lowered it down.

The suspension is rough country 2.5 leaf springs/shocks (I put rough country 1 inch shackle in the back to level it since the front sits high with the 4cyl) 

Rough country was not my first choice I despise their products. 

Much to my surprise not many companies make lifts for the yj anymore. I Remember 20 years ago there were dozens but it seams there are slim pickings for yj suspension these days. Really wanted to go with rancho but they bo longer make it.

1 hour ago, strictlyxjs said:

The suspension is rough country 2.5 leaf springs/shocks…

How’s the ride quality? I’m considering a YJ spring swap on my CJ5. Mine has a steel hard top and the weight is similar to a YJ.

It rides okay. It's not jarring or anything but yjs are always a little bouncy. My wife's xj has the old man emu heavy load 2" lift and if I cared as much about the yj as I do her xj (my 3 year old rides in it everyday) i would have preferred  to go that route in the yj.

• 2 weeks later...