EGR ramblings and reach out

With the high failure rate of EGR valves and the resulting issues, coupled with poor availability of new parts, there are a couple of things I want to address.

We need to find a commercially available bolt on EGR block off plate. Not everyone can make one.

We need to find the same block off PLUGS for the EGR tube at both the intake manifold and intake manifold. 

I have spare tubes but no intake and exhaust manifolds to work off of. 

Help please? 

7 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

I appreciate that, but I think there may be a GM or other make that works and can be bought online. I need verification. 

All the ones I found were discontinued or out of this world for pricing. I haven’t had the time to pull my EGR off to measure it or I would have already made one. 

The seller I bought a recommended (on another jeep site) block-off plate on eBay no longer is listed/registered there, but I found their FB page. Also found another potential vendor, midwestjeepwillys.com 

As far as block-off plugs, I found a recommended one either on here or another site, Dorman 090-061 "oil drain plug" is a direct fit, so I bought 2 of those. Suffice it to say I have not deleted my EGR yet so I cannot confirm fitment on any of these. 

Don't know if this helps but thought I'd share. 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063534429634

https://midwestjeepwillys.com/3221283p.html

Do not be surprised if companies no longer sell block off plates. The EPA has been going after anyone making emissions defeat devices. A block of aluminum is incredibly simple to make, and I find it improbable the EPA will bother, but it's possible that any company making such a plate will put their business in jeopardy. Making a plate yourself or using a pipe plug is indeed the best way.

I think someone should just post up a mechanical drawing of the dimensions and be done with it. The individual can either trace it with a jigsaw or waterjet some out of aluminum. Or just use a pipe tap.

What is truly sad here is that the EPA has the power to pressure a company to comply with emissions. Why are they not pressuring the top tier auto manufacturers to release the specifications of OEM emissions equipment so 3rd party auto suppliers can clone the part? Why is the onus on the end user?

18 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

ebay has no sellers that I see. Midwest Jeep has what I guess is exactly what we need, although a little pricey.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, cruiser54 said:

Well, some Japanese and GM valves are the same pattern. The price on this one is outrageous. Datsun used to have one but it's discontinued. 

https://blockoffplates.com/collections/egr-block-off-plates-chevy-buick-olds-pontiac/products/egr-5006-egr-delete-block-off-kit-acura-honda-nisan-datsun-usa

18 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

I'm am interested in a plate too. Both of those links if you look closely indicate that there plates are no longer available. I have seen some plates advertised as fuel pump block off plates. Probably to get around the EPA. I have no idea if they fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fuel-pump-block-off-plates/fuel-pump-block-off-plate-material/steel

I grabbed my old EGR valve, cleaned up the mating face and gasket and took some measurements. This is a clone of my EGR gasket. This is provided in case EGR gaskets are no longer produced for our vehicles.

There are (2) revisions of the files. EGR-gasket-R1, and EGR-gasket-R2. Choose whichever to your liking. I am not a draftsman by trade, so bear with me if the mechanical drawing is overly detailed.

All files are released under Creative Commons CC0. Anyone can modify or remix for any reason whatsoever.

CC0_button2_svg.png.3c1a259b1a1b504974767a3b914d4af3.png

EGR-Gasket-R1

EGR-Gasket-R1.JPG.0b0c21a7406dc6795bea2c6e4e743ccd.JPG

EGR-Gasket-R2

EGR-Gasket-R2.JPG.0c0fc64cfe4168e6c721ec813aa7a0f4.JPG

Mechanical Drawing PDF

EGR-Gasket-R1-Drawing.JPG.dd6c5e3f5246fa583204fe950eec73cf.JPG

EGR-Gasket-R1.DWG EGR-Gasket-R1.DXF EGR-Gasket-R1.STEP EGR-Gasket-R2.DWG EGR-Gasket-R2.DXF EGR-Gasket-R2.STEP

EGR-Gasket-R1.PDF

I'm taking an EGR valve and gasket to a guy with a plasma cutter soon. 

I'm thinking a block off PLATE for use when removing the EGR valve and a thin piece for use if you wanna keep the EGR valve but have a thin block off "shim" in between 2 gaskets. 

OK, that makes sense. I don't have to worry about that here where I live in NM. I just found out that next year my MJ will qualify for antique plates since it will be 35 years old.

Maybe your friend can make two different versions. My advise would be to not mention anything in the way of federal emission bypassing. Opps, I probably raised a red flag some where in the government.

Any way I am interested in removing my valve and having a block off Plate.

Thanks for doing this

• 5 months later...
On 7/24/2023 at 4:56 PM, Salvagedcircuit said:

Do not be surprised if companies no longer sell block off plates. The EPA has been going after anyone making emissions defeat devices. A block of aluminum is incredibly simple to make, and I find it improbable the EPA will bother, but it's possible that any company making such a plate will put their business in jeopardy. Making a plate yourself or using a pipe plug is indeed the best way.

I think someone should just post up a mechanical drawing of the dimensions and be done with it. The individual can either trace it with a jigsaw or waterjet some out of aluminum. Or just use a pipe tap.

What is truly sad here is that the EPA has the power to pressure a company to comply with emissions. Why are they not pressuring the top tier auto manufacturers to release the specifications of OEM emissions equipment so 3rd party auto suppliers can clone the part? Why is the onus on the end user?

Not to take this thread off course, but I agree.  I went through this a few years ago with eBay.  I used to offer a factory EGR port delete for the intake manifold of LS truck motors (4.8, 5.3, 6.0).  Again, this was a FACTORY PART that was used on some engines that did not have EGR, but the intake manifold had a port for it.  So they blocked it with the factory part.  It was only used for one year, and later models with no EGR just had the port in the intake manifold molded closed.  eBay deleted my listing, saying it was designed to defeat emissions.  I had a couple long conversations with them, explaining it was a factory part, to no avail.  When I attempt to re-list it, it is automatically blocked.  I don't blame them, I understand they are protecting themselves from a government that doesn't have the intellectual ability to comprehend that some situations may require the part and still be 100% emissions legal.  

17 minutes ago, schardein said:

Not to take this thread off course, but I agree.  I went through this a few years ago with eBay.  I used to offer a factory EGR port delete for the intake manifold of LS truck motors (4.8, 5.3, 6.0).  Again, this was a FACTORY PART that was used on some engines that did not have EGR, but the intake manifold had a port for it.  So they blocked it with the factory part.  It was only used for one year, and later models with no EGR just had the port in the intake manifold molded closed.  eBay deleted my listing, saying it was designed to defeat emissions.  I had a couple long conversations with them, explaining it was a factory part, to no avail.  When I attempt to re-list it, it is automatically blocked.  I don't blame them, I understand they are protecting themselves from a government that doesn't have the intellectual ability to comprehend that some situations may require the part and still be 100% emissions legal.  

Wow. That's kinda nuts. There is a simple workaround with ebay though: List in the wrong category. This is how you can still buy dental-grade toothpaste and li-ion cells through ebay. The sellers intentionally change the category the part is in and just put key words in the listing. The item will always show up in results if the buyer searches in "all categories."

Ebay knows all too well about this. I think last month ebay received a fine for the mountain of scalping that occurred with 3M n95 masks and cleaning products that happened during the peak of the pandemic. The fine was so small, I don't think it was equivalent to an hour's worth of their profit. I bet they will even write off the fine on their 2023 income taxes :doh: