GrandBoost98s Comanche 2

44 minutes ago, GrandBoost98 said:

So I have some time to find new door switches

I recommend inspecting them first. They simply could have corrosion on them, they’re an all metal construction. They will more than likely work when the corrosion is gone unless they are just too far gone. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I recommend inspecting them first. They simply could have corrosion on them, they’re an all metal construction. They will more than likely work when the corrosion is gone unless they are just too far gone. 

Thanks for the tip! Shipping updated to tomorrow lol so Ill probably mess around with them this weekend.

The speakers and adapters came in last night but I got side tracked with yet another project. I picked up an assortment of springs and found a replacement for the wimpy ebrake spring. It holds so much better now. Couldnt make it pop no matter how much I wiggled it. But what a PITA getting the new spring on! It took many attempts with several different pliers but I finally got it

Had a productive Saturday. I got the new door speakers installed. Driver side went smooth but I spent a bit more time on the passenger side. There was a whole windows worth of broken glass in the door along with a large mouse nest. Possibly even a dead mouse, not sure what that thing was lol and there wasnt even a speaker there! But after getting that all cleaned up, I got the new speaker in and had no sound. So I spent a little more time finding a break in the wire behind the dash and finally had all the speakers working.

While I was waiting for the euramtec lights to come in I started messing with the door switches. They were pretty cruddy but after a good wire brushing, theyre good as new. As I was finishing those up the lights came in. That was a pretty easy install. I had some spade connectors that fit in the factory plug and I made a little adapter harness and they work as intended. 

Then I finally took the tailpipe back off and cut about an inch off so everything lined up correctly. The rear most tailpipe hanger has seen better days. Its still hanging on but I put a coat hanger in as a back up until I find a replacement, just in case

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update on. Been driving it to work the past couple weeks. I think I'm going to start gathering parts for the 4wd swap. Theres a local guy who has an external slave AX5 with a NP231 and then another guy a little further out that has a TJ D30 with 4.10s. I know it low pinion but I don't plan on going crazy with this jeep.

Yesterday we had some friends over for a fire and decided to use the trucks for seating

Screenshot_20231106_065620_Gallery.jpg.ef045177310924f9c008f52a865993e8.jpg

Filled the comanche up yesterday and found out the sending unit is still leaking:doh: I think I'm going to have to drop the tank to get it in there right. Last time was such a struggle, I'm not overly surprised that it leaks. On the bright side, I found out I have the larger of the two tanks. It didnt start leaking until I hit 19-20gallons

Sold off the other Comanche over the weekend. Also spent a lot of time organizing, moving, selling and throwing stuff out of the garage and basement. So much more room to work on vehicles now! Made some money to help fund the 4wd swap. Found some parts I could use on the MJ and my YJ I forgot I had. Overall, very productive weekend. I think I will fix the WJ first since that should be the quickest, easiest repair on the list. Just needs a muffler, tailpipe and an oil change to be road worthy again. That way I won't have to rush to finish the 4wd swap on the MJ. Then I think Ill bring the YJ in to swap the front leaf springs out and get the front driveshaft ordered. And finally bring the MJ in to 4wd swap so I can take my time and do it right

• 2 weeks later...

Got to spend some time in the garage over the long weekend. Finally got the muffler and tailpipe on the WJ. But when I took it for a test ride it started bucking/misfiring around 45-50mph. Ill look into it over the week but I'm not investing much more into it. Wifes already cool with selling it and looking for a newer grand cherokee. Then I did a oil change and tire rotation on the s10. And finally, loaded up all the scrap I could find to bring in one day after work. Figured its time to put this thing to work

Screenshot_20231127_064849_Gallery.jpg.e22fa535231154e885936db31c859198.jpg

I know I got some weight in there but I think its crazy how soft the suspension is. Shes squating pretty good :laugh: It will be interesting to see the scale weights 

Made it to the scrap yard this weekend. Ended up with just over 900lbs of scrap. It pulled fine but the suspension was bottoming out. Am I crazy to think that it should be able to hold that weight a little better?

Screenshot_20231204_063418_Gallery.jpg.7e054af6bd4ebf727d6b2d480e874680.jpg

Also bought a full gauge cluster and the missing driver side chrome drip rail

On 12/8/2023 at 3:58 PM, Pete M said:

It's a 35 year old truck.  plenty of time for use and abuse to take their toll.  :( 

While I somewhat agree, my 88 s10 took a scrap load much better. I make all my vehicles do a scrap run at some point in their lives lol but the comanche had me worried if Id make it or not.

Got the full cluster in and the chrome drip rail. The clusters mileage is actually pretty close to mine. If I procrastinate enough, I could get it just right lol The top mounting tabs broke in transit but I think I should be able to salvage it with some epoxy. I have to take it apart too so I can adjust it from 6cyl to 4cyl. The drip rail just has one small dent in it that I think I can pull out. All n all pretty happy. 

• 1 month later...

Helped a buddy move stuff out of his storage unit. Squatting hard but pulled it no problem lol
Screenshot_20240116_073141_Gallery.jpg.8135d559064eb8112c62ae9997c11add.jpg

Until the next day when I found a small puddle of coolant under it. Looks like the radiator is leaking at the top crimped seam. The temp gauge never goes over 180 and I changed the sender and thermostat already. So far Ive only seen a radiator with plastic tanks at Autozone for $200 or a few all aluminum ones on rockauto between $120-200

26 minutes ago, GrandBoost98 said:

Ok, found it using an 87 XJ but its still close to $300 and out of stock

Yeah expensive but it works and looks factory vs the crappy looking aluminum ones. 
plus it has a good quality feel. 

Should be meeting up with billyjp2 tomorrow for a dakota bellhousing :banana: That will let me use the XJ AX15/NP231 with a SYE on it in my basement. I think Ill just need a pilot bushing from advance adapters and an 80s camaro clutch disk and I should have everything else to make it work

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bored at work update:

I did meet up with @billyjp2 for the bellhousing. Thanks again! 

Before I ordered a radiator, I wanted to spend a little more time figuring out where it was leaking from. It had been cold for a bit but its been a little warmer so I was able to get some work. Changed a power steering line that blew out on my WJ. Changed the alternator out on the s10 that started going after the WJ was down.

And finally checked out the MJ. I havent taken it for a ride but I'm pretty sure the upper rad hose clamp was just loose enough to leak a little under pressure. I went around and tightened all the clamps and left it running for 10-15mins in the driveway. Didnt see any leaks but we'll see how it looks after a drive.

I also noticed a weird chirp that ended up being an oily soft/collapsed vac line from valve cover to TB. Replaced that with a longer hose with less angles so hopefully it won't collapse as easily 

• 2 weeks later...