GrandBoost98s Comanche 2

Got a new ignition coil installed. Took the module out and gave it a good scrubbing before reassembly too. 

Put some LEDs in the cargo light. I guess theyre brighter than stock but still not very impressive lol

I also took the old radio the PO installed out, soldered in a new plug and installed the "new" radio. Everything works except theres no display until you turn the running lights on. I think I may have missed a wire or got one of the light wires wrong. The radio and plug are meant for a 90+ comanche which is a little different than my 87

The PO had a grey, blue and orange with tracer taped off, not used. Did some research today and found out the grey is "antenna trigger" which I don't think I have or need. Blue should be "park lamps". And the orange with tracer should be "panel lamps". I did hook up the orange w/tracer. I think I need to also hook up the blue wire or just swap the blue and orange. Will dig into it more this weekend.

Side note, there is absolutely no extra room behind the radio lol I cleaned the wires up best I could with loom and everything and its still super tight getting it in there. I have no idea how the PO shoved all that mess in there

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hooked the other wire up and it didnt make a difference. I think the display might just be damaged or something. Or maybe just a bulb out? But it works with the running lights on so I'm happy for now. Will probably get a bluetooth FM module for it anyways like I have in a couple other vehicles

Finally sold the two door cherokee. Not before stealing a couple more parts from it though lol took the lund visor. Have to decide if I want to modify it to fit the comanche or sell it and buy one meant for the comanche. Also got some nice slush mats, a hood prop clip and some other odds and ends.

Changed out the rear ujoint that had play. That stupid big driveshaft made it a PITA to get to the bolts but I found completely drooping out the suspension made it a little easier. Test ride was a little smoother but still had some vibs and possibly some shake at higher speeds. I want to swap out the wheels with the other comanche and see if that helps. But it was technically a successful test ride right? lol thats 1 good and 3 bad test rides if anyones counting

Was a busy weekend in the garage working on several vehicles. But I did get a chance to swap out the turbine wheels from the old to new comanche. They made for a noticeably smoother ride, but theres still enough vibration to shake the rear view mirror enough so that you can't see out of it. And its got a slight oil leak that could be 1 or all of 3 things lol oil fill cap, valve cover and drain plug. I think Ill throw in a new flasher relay after work and re pack the front wheel bearings with some fresh grease. I got a valve cover on the shelf thats not warped so Ill pick up a new gasket and throw that on too. 

Had some company over so didnt get much garage time. But I did swap out the flasher relay...still no blinkers. Guess I gotta break out the meter again. I know they worked when I bought it and the hazard lights still work so hopeful that its something stupid

Oops lol was in a rush and overlooked the fuse. Turn signals all good. Crawled underneath to see if I could find a rattle I was hearing while driving or anything else loose that might be causing the vibs. The rattle ended up being the passenger side ebrake bracket. It was bouncing around behind the drum. So I found a bolt and put it back on. But I unfortunately found some play in the ujoint I just installed in the rear drive shaft. They are the same as an XJ/YJ right? I just grabbed a new one off my shelf and didnt have any problem installing it. I wonder if the yoke is worn out maybe? 

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

where specifically is the play?  might be that the straps are misshapen and it's time to upgrade them to through ubolts. :L: 

The play is in the ujoint between the caps with the straps. But the caps arent moving, the ujoint is moving between the caps, as if it was too narrow or a cap was walking out. But the little nub that retains the caps are still there. I just replaced that ujoint for the same issue which is why my first guess was maybe the yoke. I'm going to try and pull it again after work and take a closer look. I do have extra straps I can try if these look questionable 

I guessed right, it was the yoke. Tried another ujoint in the yoke and it was loose as well. Measured .023" with my feeler gauge. Luckily I have a D35 in my axle pile I was able to steal the yoke off of. Cleaned it up, chased the threads and greased it. But before I could finish bolting everything together my wife blocked me in so no test ride lol

After closer inspection of the spare valve cover I had, there was a crack in it. But the fill cap seemed tighter so I took that and tossed the rest. Ill either buy a new plastic valve cover or try to find a reasonably priced aluminum one.

Also, Does anyone know what would have been bolted on here? 

Took it for a ride into town when I got home from work. Was much smoother but you can still see the mirrors vibrate and there was a lot of play in the steering. I figured I would tighten up the steering box when I got home like I did with my other comanche. Nope. The upper track bar bushing is SHOT. The body moves side to side long before the wheels start to turn lol and I had just got it up to about 55 with no death wobble!

I think I'm just going to get a Moog for now unless someone can suggest a better alternative. Adjustable track bars are expensive these days lol Ill end up getting one when I 4wd swap and lift it but I can get a Moog on amazon for about $50 and be on my way

Got some parts in the mail yesterday. I ended up ordering the Moog track bar along with a rough country steering stabilizer to tighten up the front end. I also ordered a new valve cover and gasket. Started doing the track bar last night. The top was kind of a pain since it was so loose it just wanted to spin. The bottom bolt head snapped off and the bolt was seized in the bushing so I just cut the rest of it out. Going to make a trip to tractor supply for some hardware today

• 2 weeks later...

I got the track bar installed a couple weekends ago. Made a huge difference. Over this past weekend I changed the thermostat because it seemed like the old one was stuck open, never got up to operating temp. And I tried changing the valve cover but that ended up being a headache. The bolt holes on the new one didnt line up. So I had to clean up and try reusing the old one which was obviously warped. Hoped that with enough rtv it would seal but no luck. Then I took off the side exit exhaust the PO installed and attempted to install the new tail pipe I bought but the outlet on the muffler was too crushed. So now its back in the garage while I try to hunt down an aluminum valve cover and an exhaust expander 

Well I found an aluminum valve cover locally. Came with bolts, a new oil cap and I just need to find the grommet that goes in the front. Spent some time last night cleaning it up. I think I'm going to also do cruisers valve cover mod because, why not. Trying to decide if I want to strip it and leave it aluminum or repaint it. I also ordered a felpro gasket for a 98 durango as I saw suggested here.

So I unbolted the parts from the valve cover and let them soak in purple power overnight and then Ill cut an inch off the bottom before reinstalling. Picked up some aircraft remover to strip the valve cover and it worked out great after two applications, some power washing and minimal scraping. And I think I'm going to hit it with some black paint, too lazy to polish it and its not a show jeep.

Got the blue felpro gasket, grommet and elbow coming in today and the exhaust pipe expander I ordered should be here tomorrow. Should be a busy weekend

I was able to paint the valve cover inbetween mowing the lawn, walking the dog and eating dinner lol but it came out good. I have a white paint marker Ill hit the stripes with too once its fully dried. 

I thought I got the right configuration of grommet and elbow but it appears not. I know I can hog out that hole to accept the grommet I have but was wondering if anyone knew the correct part that goes there

Screenshot_20230915_060926_Gallery.jpg

Took it for a ride and I didnt see any leaks afterwards :banana:

I don't think the temp got over 150 or whatever 1/4 of the way is on the gauge. I already changed the thermostat and the PO changed the water pump. Ill have to get a temp gun on it and see what it really is. Maybe just need a new sender. 

Drove it to work this morning! It still has a rumble/vibration over 50mph but I take back roads to work so it wasnt bad. The steering could be a little tighter. The tailpipe I installed the other day rattled a little so Ill need to readjust that. My work commute is only about 18mins but the temp gauge never got over 120F. It did throw out some scorching heat though so I'm thinking its the temp sender. And out of all my 2.5 Jeeps, this one is the most gutless unfortunately. I have to verify what gears it has because it feels very underpowered compared to the other two.