GrandBoost98s Comanche 2

2 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

I'm not saying I'm hoping.

If B+Latch Relay worked properly (relay jumper test) you should be able to get rid of kill 

The jumper test worked but trying different relays didn't. Just to be clear, are you saying it's because of the possible bad ECU or I might still have a bad relay? Sorry, it's getting late lol

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Any 2.5L Renix ECU will do just fine. Since you have an 89, I highly recommend you stay within 87-90 ECUs. You can use 86 if you absolutely have to. 

Thats good news, opens up my options a bit. Not that it makes a difference but this one is an 87, haven't added it to the signature yet.

@Ωhm @eaglescout526 Thank you guys SO much! If I could buy you a beer I would:beerbang::beerchug:

46 minutes ago, GrandBoost98 said:

beer

I should put in my sig that I’ll take a Dr Pepper in moments of gratitude haha. But thanks. 

Oh and 87-90 there isn’t a difference. 86 is slightly but not by much. It can be used in a pinch but the difference is the 86 ECU will be looking for that WOT switch vs the later ones that use the power steering pressure switch. 

On 7/18/2023 at 10:09 PM, eaglescout526 said:

I should put in my sig that I’ll take a Dr Pepper in moments of gratitude haha. But thanks. 

Oh and 87-90 there isn’t a difference. 86 is slightly but not by much. It can be used in a pinch but the difference is the 86 ECU will be looking for that WOT switch vs the later ones that use the power steering pressure switch. 

Safe to assume that 87-90 2.5L MJ and XJs use the same ECU? How about YJs? Striking out locally so far for MJ ECUs

Look at this loveliness :nono:

Screenshot_20230725_081334_Gallery.jpg.582e2c86ce5bc0ac16f67a187b2f7757.jpg

No wonder why it looked like a Bic lighter inside the headlight housings lol I also took the cargo light off and cleaned it up. Gotta get some new bulbs for it still. Cleaned up the airbox, intake tube, TB hat and top side of TB

Got an appointment today to get it registered! Hopefully I can just transfer plates from the other one and save a little money 

Was able to do a transfer and saved about $100 :banana: had to be the quickest DMV appointment in history. I checked in at the door and the lady said youre up lol

I came home and put the dash back together quick and took it for a spin. At first it kept wanting to stall. If I didnt ride the clutch out and let it lug too much it would die. Seemed to get better as it warmed up or as I drove it more. So I took it into the trail by me, nothing crazy. Really surprised me how smooth this thing was over all the bumps. Tried a couple times to do a little burn out in the dirt and it would stall. Didnt want to push my luck so I just went back home. I wonder if its old gas, it did sit for a year. Or possibly related to the ECU, still trying to track one down.

Took the dog for a ride to get gas.

Screenshot_20230727_091640_Gallery.jpg.7bbafa9a8bba9061b1be8715adbae14c.jpg

Its a 15min ride into town. Still wanted to stall if I didnt ride the clutch. Of course I did stall it in the middle of an intersection lol but made it to the gas station. Started pumping some premium and was watching the dog. I started to think this is taking awhile, how is this taking more than my Ram 3500? Looked underneath and saw a leak! I motored home and once I got in the driveway it really let loose. 
Screenshot_20230726_174311_Gallery.jpg.5e7a124a210dde623f041d87dfef8501.jpg
Screenshot_20230726_174315_Gallery.jpg.0eb2f0b5c2d5260b27904f6f8850430e.jpg
Screenshot_20230726_174318_Gallery.jpg.d49a0d7599c812e020859840c034491f.jpg

The PO tried to silicon the sending unit wires in with little success. I found a thread here where someone fixed it with an oring and push nut. Of course Ill have to pull the unit first so I can bring it with me to find an oring and push nut that fits. But that sounds better than replacing the whole unit. 

Also, lost blinkers for some reason. But the fuel leak was more important and havent looked into the blinkers yet...Its always something

I had to take yesterday off because we were getting some plumbing work done. They finished early and I got word that there was a 2.5l comanche at a junkyard about an hour away from me. So I took the drive and got lucky! Scored an ECU, sending unit, a couple dash panels, strap for the jack, fuel door spring, brake release handle and a few other odds and ends for about $100:banana: 

First thing I did was install the "new" ecu and it fired right up. It did have a different part number. Looked it up and found it was for a 89 2.5l cherokee, which is good because I'm pretty sure this was an 86. The only off thing I noticed so far was the shift up indicator stayed lit. Hopefully thats the only oddity and I can just take that bulb out.

Then I swapped out the sending unit. Plugged it in before messing with mine and verified the float worked and the pumped primed. Had one hell of a time getting the locking ring installed. After wrestling with it for awhile, I finally got it in there. Went to start it and nothing :fistshake1:took a break for a bit and when I came back, realized I swapped the fuel lines lol so fixed that and it fired right up.

Unfortunately, my S10 is up on jack stands waiting for its driveshaft to come back and its blocking the comanche in so I wasnt able to take it for a ride 

Picked up a chrome grill, headlight bezels and a stock comanche radio from marketplace. Unfortunately the grill and bezels are from a 92 and don't directly bolt on. I thought that they were all interchangeable but Ill have to do a little more research. And the radio isnt the most sought after one but its in good shape and he said it worked. But again, unfortunately someone cut the original radio plug out of my comanche so Ill have to try and find a replacement for that.

While I had the grill and bezels off, I took the putco harness out of the XJ we're selling and installed it with some fresher headlights. Also installed some newer XJ wiper arms with better blades. While I had the dash off, I installed the blank switch panel I got from the junkyard and found I had a bulb over the cig lighter that needed replacing. And I gave everything I could a good shot of grease 

Took it for another test ride with the dog. Started off better than the last. The premium gas seems to have cured the stalling issue. Flexed it out a little in the woods but the parking brake pops out and the engine is a little tired and didnt want to hold the jeep back either so no pics. Took it on the main road to get it up to speed and it did well. Some vibs but could just be the old rock hard tires.

Rounding the corner onto my road, it stalls. won't start. Ended up pulling it home with my Ram. Had to do the walk of shame in fron of all my neighbors lol At first I thought it was the old fuel pump I just put in but starting fluid didnt make it pop. So I checked for spark and nothing. Swapped the ignition coil from the other MJ and it fired right up. I checked the driveshaft too and found a suspect ujoint which might be contributing to the vibs I felt