GrandBoost98s Comanche 2

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

vibrations that start around 50 mph are frequently tire imbalance or out-of-round issues. :(

is this one the AX-4 truck?

This one has the AX5.

I had the same rumble/vibration with the other set of wheels too :( I might try replacing the motor and transmission mounts. I just hope I'm not heading down another rabbit hole like with the s10. The s10 had a similar vibration and after doing brakes, wheel bearings, front shocks, idler arm, carrier bearing, rebuilt driveshaft, balancing the wheels several times..it ended up being the rear shocks:doh:. But this feels a bit different and the shocks look fairly new. I might try replacing the motor and transmission mounts. I just hope I'm not heading down another rabbit hole like with the s10

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the way home, I hit the trail at the end of my road. Didnt do anything crazy since its still stock and 2WD but it was nice to get out there.
Screenshot_20230920_061939_Gallery.jpg.79a763066a1ca88484a6df3aef2150a1.jpg

Screenshot_20230920_061943_Gallery.jpg.88dc11ea93000df5ef3a02d267919c2a.jpg

Screenshot_20230920_061949_Gallery.jpg.114f00e28a40b6a2ead202209b892aa2.jpg
When I got home I crawled underneath to check out everything. Found where the exhaust is rattling, should be an easy fix. Was able to wiggle the tail of the transmission around a lot more than Id think I should and the mount looks like it could be original so, like yall said, it will be worth while changing even if it doesnt fix my vibs. 

The transmission mount I ordered was wrong. It was offset and about an inch taller. So after waiting for the right one to arrive, I installed it and went for a ride. The vibs went down alot! I can actually see out of the mirrors going over 50mph lol But I still feel like it could be better. I'm going to try installing the new motor mounts, if not after work then hopefully this weekend

Decided to tackle the motor mounts last night. Started with the passenger side knowing it was the easier of the two. It was completely shot, well worth the effort...The driver side, not so much. I had to remove the alternator in order to get the motor mount bolt out and I discovered more PO shenanigan's :doh:  
Screenshot_20231006_065116_Gallery.jpg.8955740411ab5903ab76766354c2c8f6.jpgScreenshot_20231006_065107_Gallery.jpg.94f3b32638bfdb4fa130ea2ec2fd31b7.jpg
Yeap, they used that spring to make up for the missing chunk they broke off. Was also missing one of the other bolts. Still not sure how Ill proceed. Probably spend some time on ebay looking for a replacement. If I can't find something, try to find someone that can weld cast aluminum or maybe just cut enough off to fit a bolt head and rely on the steel part. And yeah, you might have noticed some cracking in that large wire behind it
Screenshot_20231006_065123_Gallery.jpg.79963b2cadb7d3caf8bf1a870135b64d.jpg
Thats the main power wire from the battery to the starter. Cracks all along the way! Guess this is a good time to take care of that wire nut by the starter too :shaking:

Screenshot_20231006_070509_Gallery.jpg.3309a0bb91cb26c7729fb4cf1b151e6b.jpg

Last time I buy a vehicle from a young kid :fistshake2:

3 hours ago, GrandBoost98 said:

Yes that’s what you need for the 2.5L. Both the 4.2L in the YJ and the 2.5L XJ/MJ/YJ share parts in terms of mounting the AC and alt. Should help in your search for those brackets. 

Well the wife had more on my to do list than I anticipated lol I did sneak into the garage for a little bit though, mainly so I could see how long the battery cables were. Incase anyone wants to know how long the battery cables are since I couldnt find it anywhere else, the positive is 45" and the negative is 32". I cannot believe this truck didnt burn to the ground with this power wire :eek: 
Screenshot_20231009_072136_Gallery.jpg.07f417a9bcba7d35ceb72be4396b266e.jpg
I also cleaned up some other splices and added in some wire loom to neaten things up. All the loose wires were bothering me. Hopefully I can find time to get it back together over the next few days. We picked up a STACK of vinyls to go through 

Screenshot_20231009_072200_Gallery.jpg.a8cc0fb1bc6bdbcbe1d0146d73ed7a6d.jpg

3 hours ago, GrandBoost98 said:

We picked up a STACK of vinyls to go through 

Wife and I have been doing this with the 45’s we buy from goodwill. Our way of discovering songs we might enjoy or not. Then sell the ones we don’t.

My grandparents had a Hi-Fi like that, I think my cousin has it now. 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

yeah, that's what the cables coming out of the 88 I'm working on looked like. :(  scary! 

also, nice player. :L: 

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wife and I have been doing this with the 45’s we buy from goodwill. Our way of discovering songs we might enjoy or not. Then sell the ones we don’t.

My grandparents had a Hi-Fi like that, I think my cousin has it now. 

The crazy thing is we got this console for free! It sounds so amazing and really cranks! Recently did some research on it to try and find a spare replacement needle/cartridge. Turns out its a somewhat rare Zenith micro touch 2g. Way ahead of its time. here's an old advertisement video I got a kick out of

Got everything back together last night. Looks a lot neater than it did. I went with 2ga instead of 4ga just incase I put a little sub in it one day. I'm also going to put a bigger ground wire from battery to body. That was the last thing I did and was feeling lazy so I just crimped an eyelet on the wire that was already there and screwed it down. Didnt even have time to start it up lol the wife was calling me up for dinner so Ill take it for a test ride after work

Screenshot_20231011_061958_Gallery.jpg.680be48d81f16001a7f72f7ee5c48d71.jpg

Screenshot_20231011_061927_Gallery.jpg.d00825bab2bc519a776f668ee7d17e38.jpg

So it drives pretty well. Well enough that I'm going to start putting some more miles on it:crossfingers:. I wish I could say its perfect but theres still some vibration. Enough to rattle my sunglasses in the center console this morning, but its not terrible. Feels like I have aggressive mud tires over 50mph

I noticed the rear view mirror was a little loose so I installed a different one I had that fit more securely. And I'm on the fence about the tow mirrors. Theyre cool because theyre different but I'm not a fan of the visibility nor the shakiness of them. And my parking situations are usually tight with several vehicles so I'm always bumping into them lol 

I think I'm going to get some kickers. 5.25 for the doors, eventually 4x6s for the rear and some kind of small powered sub. I don't want to hack the door cards like in my other comanche for bigger speakers and I don't know if its worth getting the different brackets to fit 6.5 speakers in the rear.

My s10 sounds great with some kenwood 4x10s, a small powered sub in the back and stock dash speakers so I don't see the need to go overkill in the MJ. 

I ordered some Kicker 5.25 CS series speakers for the doors. Gonna wait on the rears for now. I got a deal on an open box auction from ebay, they should be in today actually. I ordered some euramtec lights too. They were out of stock for a long time so I messaged them and they made 10 available for anyone else looking. Still waiting for tracking info on those. 

Yesterday I pulled the dash off again to replace some light bulbs. I used to have to use my cellphone light to see the HVAC controls in the morning lol it was nice being able to see everything today.

Anyone know why the interior lights don't come on when the doors open? The door buzzer works so I assume the switch is good. And I can manually turn the lights on with the headlight switch :thinking:

32 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

LH Door SW is a dual SW. One (1) SW for Chime and one (1) SW for lamps (GND). Suspect both SW's (LH/RH) faulty.

That makes sense. Thanks! Just got tracking info for the euramtec lights, should be in sometime next week. So I have some time to find new door switches