J35 swap to TX-15

Thinking about swapping my 89 Comanche to a J32 or J35 out of a Honda odyssey for a multitude of reasons.

I was wondering if anyone has done this specific swap before, or knows someone that did it.

What would need to be done? I'm assuming a new subframe as the sump would end up being forward as the stock location for the starter motor is under the oil pan.

Obviously any kind of engine control and wiring would need to be completely redone. I've been looking for a transfer plate pattern and haven't been able to find one as of now.

most likely a custom throw out bearing would need to be made I would imagine.

Not sure how accurate any/all of this is so any input, links, or advice is greatly appreciated.

this idea is new to me so you'll likely be inventing as you go.  :L: 

common potential issues with odd engine swaps are: oil pan location relative to the front axle (obviously contact between the two is very bad), engine width (including exhaust) relative to the frame rails (not every engine fits our tiny engine bays), finding a radiator that can work, and wiring (specifically making sure that the computer will be happy after you change a ton of parameters and sensors around).

On 6/22/2023 at 12:22 AM, PushPin said:

Thinking about swapping my 89 Comanche to a J32 or J35 out of a Honda odyssey for a multitude of reasons.

Rad! I like the idea of swapping modern engines into anything to make it a better driver or to achieve anything more than what our near dinosaur engineered engines where intended for. Our stock option engines are great!... they definitely have their limitations though. Curious what your reasoning is behind a swap like this. :popcorn:

There are swap kits out there for putting multiple diesel engines in front of our transmissions but this is definitely a new one to pop up here. I see no reason why one couldn't accomplish this regardless of what country an engine may have been engineered or manufactured in. There's tons of good stuff that would've been developed off shore from us! As Pete stated, our engine bays are a bit goofy when it comes to fitting anything else that isn't relatively narrow. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

this idea is new to me so you'll likely be inventing as you go.  :L: 

common potential issues with odd engine swaps are: oil pan location relative to the front axle (obviously contact between the two is very bad), engine width (including exhaust) relative to the frame rails (not every engine fits our tiny engine bays), finding a radiator that can work, and wiring (specifically making sure that the computer will be happy after you change a ton of parameters and sensors around).

Thank you for the tips and things to look for, i didnt even think about the exhaust width on a v6 platform and how it would fit between the wheel wells.

6 hours ago, neohic said:

Rad! I like the idea of swapping modern engines into anything to make it a better driver or to achieve anything more than what our near dinosaur engineered engines where intended for. Our stock option engines are great!... they definitely have their limitations though. Curious what your reasoning is behind a swap like this. :popcorn:

There are swap kits out there for putting multiple diesel engines in front of our transmissions but this is definitely a new one to pop up here. I see no reason why one couldn't accomplish this regardless of what country an engine may have been engineered or manufactured in. There's tons of good stuff that would've been developed off shore from us! As Pete stated, our engine bays are a bit goofy when it comes to fitting anything else that isn't relatively narrow. Good luck!

Most of the reasons boil down to efficiency and reliability. While I don't doubt the reliability of the 4.0L its not the good ol' days where there was 40 jeeps and AMC's at every junk yard, where as now Honda J motors are closer to 50 at every junk yard and no one touches them. Plus the reliability of modern Japanese engines is unparalleled in my opinion. All this is not to mention the fact that those v6's can push a 4000lb mini van to get 11L/100km combined, so I figure the same motor can push the 3300lb Comanche to at the very least the same mileage. All with no aftermarket engine parts.

7 hours ago, neohic said:

I'm hoping that the small form factor of Honda engines specifically can make up for the lack of space. Since it seems like no one else has even thought of this swap I will probably have to do most if not all of the leg work when it come down to it. I heard one time of mock engines made of foam to help with planning and fitting but i havent been able to find one, i feel like that would be a huge help here lol

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the J35 a transversely mounted engine in the Odyssey?  Could be cool they can be made to make some power.  Sounds like a very challenging, fully custom, first time someone's tried it build.

I personally want to build a Comanche with a BMW S54 from an early 2000s BMW M3.  3.2L inline 6 with an 8300 rpm red line and pretty much more torque and power over the whole rev range compared to the 4.0L.  I believe there even exists and adapter plate already available for the AX15.

40 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the J35 a transversely mounted engine in the Odyssey?  Could be cool they can be made to make some power.  Sounds like a very challenging, fully custom, first time someone's tried it build.

I personally want to build a Comanche with a BMW S54 from an early 2000s BMW M3.  3.2L inline 6 with an 8300 rpm red line and pretty much more torque and power over the whole rev range compared to the 4.0L.  I believe there even exists and adapter plate already available for the AX15.

very much transversely mounted in the odyssey but other than starter position I can't really see a serious issue with changing it to a linearly mounted set up.

the 3 engine mounts can hold the torque in the transverse set up so I can't see why they wouldn't work otherwise. 

Also that BMW swap sounds sick, only issues I would have wanting that is that now you're paying BMW prices for engine components and you have prissy German engineering under the hood.

41 minutes ago, PushPin said:

very much transversely mounted in the odyssey but other than starter position I can't really see a serious issue with changing it to a linearly mounted set up.

the 3 engine mounts can hold the torque in the transverse set up so I can't see why they wouldn't work otherwise. 

Also that BMW swap sounds sick, only issues I would have wanting that is that now you're paying BMW prices for engine components and you have prissy German engineering under the hood.

Certainly the transverse engine is a surmountable problem.  Out of curiosity, why G35?  Why not a K series?  

I've played with BMWs for a long time.  There's many things I don't like about them, particularly their terrible plastic cooling systems, but their engines are brilliant.  At least the ones from the 90s, I've put them through some impressive abuse and they just take it.  I've never had a mechanical problem with any BMW engine, just lots of ripped up drive line components and suspension stuff.

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Since BMWs were mentioned, someone swapped this into a rambler:

7AFC9D53-F8AF-40BC-B7E5-10A946061DAE.jpeg.916e07aced90d504e884b900831aa085.jpeg

3FB5CFC1-FEF8-4ABB-B958-A19B639EE32F.jpeg.960b68bc17bc174565776ce64351fc6c.jpeg

Blaspheme. But I have to acknowledge it was well done. 

That looks like a body swap onto a 96-99 BMW M3 chassis.  Shock towers, radiator cross brace, brake booster, fuse block, washer reservoir, as well as everything else is exactly where it's supposed to be.  It even has cruise control and the secondary air injection pump for emissions.

I bet that is a hoot and really catches people off guard.  Should be good for a run to 60 mph in a hair under 6 seconds.

10 hours ago, TurboedMJ said:

Since we're on the subject of weird swaps... What do y'all think about a small Detroit or CAT diesel? Something like a 3-53, 4-53, or even a 4-71...

same questions I mentioned above apply.  but additionally, what does it weigh and is it worth that weight for the amount of power it makes?  plus what transmission can you use?  anything is possible, but few swaps are actually worth the effort needed or the power gained.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

same questions I mentioned above apply.  but additionally, what does it weigh and is it worth that weight for the amount of power it makes?  plus what transmission can you use?  anything is possible, but few swaps are actually worth the effort needed or the power gained.

Good point, a 4-71 is 1700lbs lol. Even a 3-53 is 960 lbs. I'm gonna start looking at 4bt cummins

On 6/23/2023 at 9:24 PM, pizzaman09 said:

Certainly the transverse engine is a surmountable problem.  Out of curiosity, why G35?  Why not a K series?  

Just because of the torque numbers and the fact they they aren't really sought after like the k series are.

plus, you don't really see J swaps all the time, and you can find them everywhere for super cheap.

1 hour ago, PushPin said:

Just because of the torque numbers and the fact they they aren't really sought after like the k series are.

plus, you don't really see J swaps all the time, and you can find them everywhere for super cheap.

All sound like great reason, as long as there is support for them.  A friend of mine looked at doing a K swap into an 87 Toyota MR2.  After a lot of shopping we decided the engines were expensive and instead went the easy route and got a Toyota 4AGE Blacktop from Japan.

• 6 months later...

If anyone stumbles across any info, pertinent to making this swap happen, please post up.

I have been digging around and not finding much.

I have a J32 in my sandrail, pretty impressive for a stock engine, I think a J35 or J37 would be awesome in an MJ.

Light, cheap, and decent power.

I have contacted Kennedy and the only adapter they make for the J series is to a VW bellhousing.