Are these Country Wheels worth getting from the junkyard?

Warren99

I was thinking about getting these tires from the junkyard, but I might have to pay for the wheels too, and only be able to return them for instore credit, rather than my cash back. They were on a 94 Country XJ, but I think they came from a 97+ Country XJ. Junkyard price would be right around $100. How much could I reasonably expect to sell them myself?

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5877.jpg

You might get $100 for the wheels if you can find a buyer. Emphasis on might. If the tires are worth running that’s not a terrible deal for $100. But they do look like they’ve got some funky wear on them. 

They said I’d have to buy both the wheels and tires. If I brought the wheels back the only refund I’d get would be in store credit. Unless I read it wrong, the tires are from 2011. I’ve just kinda decided it ain’t worth the risk

Those are Goodyear tires too. Those look relatively expensive. New that is. IF the tires look good you could get somthing out of them if wanted? Then again they may have some weird wear on them if an alignment wasn't done. I can't exactly tell the tire size but those look like they'd be like a $1400 set of tires new

For $100 for wheels and tires I would use them as a set of winter tires.

Heat takes a toll on tires though and you’re down south. If you mostly drive on local roads and very little highway you probably would be ok. Even if you only got several thousand miles out of them it would be worth the hundred bucks. Then sell the wheels with tires for $50-100 when you’re done.

I would definitely not trust these as a winter tire. Summer or off-road only. Tread pattern is wrong for slush, and there’s not anywhere near enough siping for ice.
You make a good point, 12-year old tires are a definite question mark. Some shops would refuse to install them. Not the end of the world if they still hold air and aren’t cracking, but UV exposure screws with the compounds and decreases traction. That said I’ve got a car outside sitting on tires from ‘97 (three digit date code :/ ) that are holding air and so far haven’t exploded, and I’ve even driven it in winter conditions (exciting) but it’s mostly because I just haven’t got around to replacing them. Been waiting for them to shrapnel but just hasn’t happened yet. It’s not a daily driver, just a fun fair weather car or I would’ve got rid of them a long time ago. Sticktion is tolerable on dry roads and acceptable on wet, less so snow and ice, even though they are ostensibly winter tires.

I haven’t fully given up on finding used tires, but I haven’t really been able to find anything worth running. People want waaay more money for used tires than I think they’re worth. I find I can typically buy new tires at wholesale price for not much more than what people want for five year old tires above 50% tread remaining. Anything that’s actually a decent price is ten years old and 25% remaining, not even worth the effort to me. Obviously you don’t need the absolute best rubber you can get, but you should still keep in mind that those four small patches of rubber are the only things keeping you on the road or trail, and the cost of finding out you maybe should’ve spent a little more is likely going to be higher than the little more you would have spent. 

18 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

I would definitely not trust these as a winter tire. Summer or off-road only. Tread pattern is wrong for slush, and there’s not anywhere near enough siping for ice.
 the road or trail, and the cost of finding out you maybe should’ve spent a little more is likely going to be higher than the little more you would have spent. 

I live in Georgia, this year we got no snow, last year we had 1/2 inch on one day. We don't rly do seasonal tires haha

8 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

I live in Georgia, this year we got no snow, last year we had 1/2 inch on one day. We don't rly do seasonal tires haha

IMG_5684.jpeg.ddabcf63ba07bef328b972986f45083a.jpeg

Took this last night. The ice on our lake is finally breaking up, may be gone this weekend. This isn’t even late, it’s actually earlier than some years. 

On 5/11/2023 at 9:22 PM, Warren99 said:

a lot of this state doesn't seem to even do tread:shaking: