The missing title problem

Eagle

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, TurboedMJ said:

Will this work for cars with a rebuilt title? Or just no title at all. 

If you’re trying to use the process to clear a rebuilt status off a title, that’s fraud. Whether it works out through the process or not, don’t do it. A rebuilt title shouldn’t stop you from registering a vehicle.

The Vermont process is generally used when your own jurisdiction is going to be problematic in replacing a lost title.

11 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

If you’re trying to use the process to clear a rebuilt status off a title, that’s fraud. Whether it works out through the process or not, don’t do it. A rebuilt title shouldn’t stop you from registering a vehicle.

The Vermont process is generally used when your own jurisdiction is going to be problematic in replacing a lost title.

I see. So is it still possible to insure a car with a rebuilt title?

28 minutes ago, TurboedMJ said:

Should be. Talk to your insurance company?

Rebuilt means it was written off and then repaired. Usually there’s an inspection process of some kind. 
There’s also other title statuses for writeoffs that haven’t officially been rebuilt, in my jurisdiction “salvageable” for cars that could be rebuilt. We also have an “irreparable” status for cars that can’t be rebuilt, either too extensively damaged or more often a second write-off, and most places have the same, just possibly use different words. Those generally can’t be repaired and registered or insured, but every jurisdiction has different rules. 

13 hours ago, TurboedMJ said:

In Texas you can. I bought my wife Lexus at a hell of a deal because it has a rebuilt title. We have it fully insured and have had several different insurance companies over the years.  Not one has ever question the title. 

I bought a “totaled” 2000 XJ from my wifes nephew.  It got hit on the driverside nose and mangled the fender, grill and bumper and lightly damaged the inner fender.

I straightened out the inner fender and bought some matching color parts l found on Car-Part for $300 and reassembled it. In CT you have to get your car inspected at the main DMV station in Weathersfield if it has been in an accident with a marked title.

It passed and it was given a rebuilt title. I didn’t have any trouble getting insurance for it.