4.0 rebuild after engine bay fire?

Cheap parts XJ near me had an engine bay fire. I don't know the complete severity of it yet and I will be going to look at it soon but in the pictures it seems that the top of the dash melted because the front windshield broke but below the steering column its fine. The front doors are also somehow fine. I needed it for the doors and tranny but curious if a 4.0 in a fire could rebuilt? I'll update with pictures.

18 minutes ago, EUREKA said:

In engien-talk "rebuild" has a specific meaning. Maybe you meant repair?

Yea I should've been more specific, I didn't mean replace cams valves etc, but more like would the fire have warped the head so that it would need to be machined? Stuff like that.

This engine was rebuilt 300 miles prior to an engine fire. When the fire department put it out they filled the cylinders with water, which in turn ruined the engine. So technically the fire didn’t create the engine having to be rebuilt, but putting the fire out did 

https://comancheclub.com/topic/47985-project-code-red-88-olympic-edition/

2 hours ago, yungupgrade said:

What parts of it did you need to rebuild? How did you know what parts got damaged?

I’m more or less just replaced everything that looked bad . If you had a donor vehicle I would say that would be the best way to do it. Just swap everything over at the same time. If you haven’t already please read my build thread . That may answer all the questions that you have, or at least some of them

On 2/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, Strokermjcomanche said:

I’m more or less just replaced everything that looked bad . If you had a donor vehicle I would say that would be the best way to do it. Just swap everything over at the same time. If you haven’t already please read my build thread . That may answer all the questions that you have, or at least some of them

Could you link the thread? I can't find it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: So I finally got the parts XJ home and block doesn't look like its in great shape. The wiring harness, injectors and pretty much everything else was shot. I couldn't shift the tranny, I think it's because the clutch cable melted- I haven't gotten under to look yet. This was sitting with no hood on it in the tow yard for about a week and a half with about 2 days of poor weather. The intake manifold cracked and it looked like there was some particulates on the dipstick when I pulled it. I'll be purchasing an engine hoist soon to get this out of the jeep. I've never torn down an engine before so this will be a first.

IMG-2509.jpg

IMG-2510.jpg

IMG-2511.jpg

IMG-2512.jpg

IMG-2513.jpg