Emissions FAIL!!!

I've been trying for months now to get my 1987 Comanche to pass emissions in DE. it keeps failing with high Carbons. I've replaced the o2 sensor, ran smoke tests for leaks, and tried running "Guaranteed to Pass" in my fuel. when i bought the truck it was tagged in Maryland which didn't have emissions tests. and the charcoal canister wasn't hooked up (red Flag). could the charcoal canister be bad? any ideas as to what is make it fail? its the 4.0l inline 6. its also failing the gas tank pressurizing test. could these issue be related? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Where I live in PA, we only have a visual for emissions, so I'm not too familiar with states that actually sniff the exhaust.  

However, high carbon to me sounds like you are either burning oil or running lean.  If you ran a smoke test, I suspect the intake is leak free and all your header bolts are tight.  I'd look at the egr setup and test to confirm it is operating correctly.  I'd also check to make sure your crank case ventilation is functioning, not clogged or just pumping oil into the intake.

Let's start with some basics.  I think your emissions failure is due to "excessive hydrocarbons", as that is the term used when evaluating  exhaust emissions.  Excessive hydrocarbons (aka "high HC") is in indication your Jeep is not burning the fuel correctly, meaning that there is too much fuel for a given amount of air entering the engine, or what fuel it IS getting is not burning fully due to poor compression, or poor ignition, or both.

I assume you have some sort of formal report from a Delaware state approved emissions testing facility that would indicate what the results of their testing indicated. 

If you can attach a copy, or transcribe what is in the report, it would help us figure out what is going on.  Just guessing and trying this or that is likely to be an exercise in frustration, so we need more details.

16 hours ago, AZJeff said:

Let's start with some basics.  I think your emissions failure is due to "excessive hydrocarbons", as that is the term used when evaluating  exhaust emissions.  Excessive hydrocarbons (aka "high HC") is in indication your Jeep is not burning the fuel correctly, meaning that there is too much fuel for a given amount of air entering the engine, or what fuel it IS getting is not burning fully due to poor compression, or poor ignition, or both.

I assume you have some sort of formal report from a Delaware state approved emissions testing facility that would indicate what the results of their testing indicated. 

If you can attach a copy, or transcribe what is in the report, it would help us figure out what is going on.  Just guessing and trying this or that is likely to be an exercise in frustration, so we need more details.

i don't have a copy at the moment. i will be running it through again tomorrow to see if it will pass. i did find a small exhaust leak just before the cat. not sure if this would be significant enough to fail emissions. ive never really worked on a car that didnt pass emissions so all this is kinda new to me. ive replaced the spark plugs and had some seals replaced. it was having a hard time starting when i first got the truck but seems to start better. could this be a low compression problem?

14 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Get yourself a Renix Engine Monitor, my guess is the O2 sensor isn’t working properly. New O2 sensors have not been working correctly, search the forum for more info on that.

i replaced the o2 sensor with an aftermarket one and it didnt look the same as the original. i wasnt able to find an oem sensor so i just went with the aftermarket. could this be the cause? do all o2 sensors look the same or can they look different and still work? still new to all of this.