Rust question

I'm looking at getting a 91' MJ, the only real mechanical problem that i can tell so far is that one of the u-joints needs to be replaced, but that shouldn't be a big deal. However, the only real thing that would stop me from buying it would be 2 bad rust spots on the bed. A spot just before the driver side rear wheel is all the way through, not to the bed just the first part. And the worst spot is on the passenger side rear corner of the bed where it just wants to fall off. I would love to keep the bed if i can, but right now what are my options, what do you guys do to combat this. I'll get pics tomorrow if i can. Thanks.

If the truck is in good mechanical shape, runs good, low / average milage and priced right, don't let a little sheet metal rust hold you back.

If the frame / uni-body is rusted out, yea, it's a junker, but alittle sheet metal around the wheel well........ever one I own has the same problem, eather the floor board were rusted out, or the rear wheel wells. Has nothing to do with the 'turn the key and go' So there not that great of curb appeal, so what, they run great, drive great, and keep on going :D

If it a perfect 20 year old truck, with no rust, and perfect paint job, well, it's been stored in a climate controll room for the past 20 years, or it been re-painted, and worth a fortune.

The best thing you can do is use the little amount of rust to your advantage, hagel down the asking price, tell the seller you'll take it, but the body work and paint job will cost XX$ and work some of that off the asking price :brows:

Just keep in mind, these trucks are 18-20 years old, and the seals are all shot or dry rotted, and the brake lines are about gone, if not already replaced, so if the seller has not done anything to the truck, expect alot of repairs down the road. Or just get it, go thru it, replace / repair everything at once, and then your good to go.

Thanks for the info guys, If i do get it I'll be restoring it and adding a lift and everything else :brows: so everything would get stripped down and replaced eventually which would take some time and I don't have to worry about it being my daily driver as i have my other jeep, I'm just tired of beating that one up on the trail. I'm 18 years old and wanted a Comanche for as long as i could remember but a good deal never crossed my path.

I just hope the frame isn't shot or its back to the drawing board. :mad:

On the issues of rust repair... I was looking at some parts I have laying around... It seems to me that the front fenders would make great patch panels for around the wheel wells. I mean if all you wanted to do was replace a rusted out wheel opening that is

Well apparently the rust on the bed on the one side was a lot worse then i thought and it looks like the bed is ruined. The tailgate and other side can be saved but this is is shot. Not to many options to do now.

Engine runs mint, interior is very clean front suspension and axle is unrusted and in good working order, rear suspension is in rough shape, shocks are rusted through, axle and leafs look good, and no rust holes in the frame anywear.

He's selling the whole thing for 6. it's a 2wd with a 2.5 . he said the motor was bad. IDK

If that's the MJ in the pictures :eek:

I wouldn't pay more that $200 for that. And that's if the motor was puring like a kitten. I've bought better looking MJ's than that, ran had 4.0 4wd, AW4 for $300 and better looking body that that. Just a rodded out frame.

I said in my reply, a little rust over the wheel well, that don't even have a wheel well left. Oh, it's repairable, but for a 2.5, 2wd :shake:

There are a lot better MJ's out there that that one, for the $$

That old girl looks like a parts truck to me IMHO.

Better fish in the sea that won't require as much hassle and attention for you to make something nice out of them. If you buy it, don't spend lots of money on it. I'd buy it for a winter beater to drive into the ground or to see how long it takes to kill it just like they did with that Hilux on Top Gear... Just my $.02

He's selling the whole thing for 6. it's a 2wd with a 2.5 . he said the motor was bad. IDK

If that's the MJ in the pictures :eek:

I wouldn't pay more that $200 for that. And that's if the motor was puring like a kitten. I've bought better looking MJ's than that, ran had 4.0 4wd, AW4 for $300 and better looking body that that. Just a rodded out frame.

I said in my reply, a little rust over the wheel well, that don't even have a wheel well left. Oh, it's repairable, but for a 2.5, 2wd :shake:

There are a lot better MJ's out there that that one, for the $$

Thats not the one in the picture. The one in the pics is a 91' 4.0L 4x4 105K.

Thats not the one in the picture. The one in the pics is a 91' 4.0L 4x4 105K.

Oh.....I read it too fast :oops:

Should have seen the 4X4 on the side. ( I got to stop working weekend :nuts: )

Yea, for a '91 4.0 4wd, then I would save it, new box, or even the right side would be the ticket, as long as the frame is Not Rotted out. What kind of $$ is he asking for that one??

The one I found is just sitting in a field. It is pretty much cherry.. no rust nothing. It looks really good. no oil leaks that I saw and everything is stock. I'd get it myself, but its to close to Christmas and I have to buy alot of toy's made in China... :roll:

As for the engine I didn't try to start it or anything. The guy just said it had a bad motor.. I think it was a 87 or 88 not sure about that either. Everything under the hood looked GOOD. It may just need something like a vac hose or something to get it running IDK.. Like I said I'd like to get and part it out, or see what was wrong with the engine.

that 91 is completely shot.

buy it, buy a nice comanche with blown motor, and swap parts.

as stated, not worth $200. for $200 I got a comanche that only needed a flexplate, and I sold it for $1350. that thing wasn't that nice but the 91 you're looking at makes the one I had look @#$%ing amazing

Rquarte - I would say that '91 Eliminator is NOT completely shot.

The bed, yea, but that's replaceable, costly, but do-able.

Typical NY vehicle :roll: Great runner, body gone :oops:

(And the bullet holes too :teehee: )

Other wise, the 4wd Eliminator is a rare MJ, and for a '91, yea.

If it's at the right price, and the frame is not rodded out, and mileage is not real high, might be a good find. But I would check it over really good if the price was a little high, like check the floor boards, I'm sure there gone with the rockers the way they are, and you would have to figure on alot of additional repairs, like all brake lines, all seals.

I looked at a '91 lwb couple months ago, With a factory roll bar, body about in the same shape as your pictures and the guy was asking $800, I make him an offer of $500, and someone came along and gave him the full price he was asking :nuts:

Thing is, I've done a couple of these MJ's, and the one I'm DD now, yea, $500 for the truck, and then another $1400 into it just to get it in shape and running down the road, and not leaking oil all over, and braking when I needed to ;) And I still need to repair the rear wheel wells, and total paint job.