Need help with Stripped Oil Filter Adapter 2.5 from 94 Cherokee in my 88 MJ

Good evening all!  I have a 94 (I think) 2.5 in my 88 MJ.  Shortly after I got it, I changed the oil/ filter(stp) and when I ran the truck, the oil filter popped of dumping all the oil out (not fun).  I went back to the parts store thinking I had a bad filter, exchanged it for a wix and it seemed to go on ok.  I've done a few changes since then with no issues, but today I went to do another change still using wix filter and they won't tighten up (I've tried 2).  I think that my threads may be stripped.  It seems that the threads may be an adapter threaded into the block. Does this part unscrew from the block to be replaced?  Does anyone know where i can get the part? or the part #?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

In 1991, they went from a 20mm oil filter nipple to a 3/4" nipple.

The metric filter threads on but also doesn't hold properly.

Stripped oil filter threads or your oil filter loosening up are the result if you use the later filter in an earlier application. 

RENIX OIL FILTER TO SAE FILTER

Tired of having a poor selection of oil filters for your Renix Jeep? Limited availabilty a pain for you? 20mm threads? We don’t need mumblemeter threads on our oil filters.

Here’s a simple mod that allows you to use the very popular SAE threaded oil filters which are more readily available. The old standard 3/4″ SAE thread.

You can purchase a new oil filter nipple from the dealer for under $10 and never be bothered again. Part number 53007563AB. It’s the one on the left. 53007563AB 7-8 15-16

Or, grab one off a 91 and later XJ at the junkyard. Be forewarned though. You need a 7/8 wrench to remove a Renix nipple, but a 15/16 wrench for the later style.

And just in case you need to replace your oil filter adapter o-rings, here’s a handy guide.

Oil Filter Adapter O-Ring Sizes
87-90 Renix Model O-rings

0.799 x 0.103 AS568 size -117
1.296 x 0.139 AS568 size -219
2.484 x 0.139 AS568 size –230

Dealer Part Numbers for Renix. Sold individually:

33002970, 33002971, 33002972

Renix kit from Crown Automotive-33002970K

91-01 HO Model Orings

0.676 x 0.070 AS568 size -017
0.859 x 0.139 AS568 size -212
2.484 x 0.139 AS568 size -230

12 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Part should unscrew from the block. I am away from any parts manuals at the moment but it is a serviceable part. If someone has a 2.5L or 4.0L they can take parts from, they should work. 

I tried to unscrew it, but it was really tight. I was worried I would break something if I forced it.

12 hours ago, jdog said:

Are you getting the filter for 95 or 88 they changed the threads in 94/5

I am getting the filter for a 94. I doubt that the PO put the 88 nipple in it since he left everything else fron the 94 engine. Maybe I should be asking for a 95?

12 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Is the stub the oil filter threads onto long or short, see picture. IIRC the long is to 1990 with metric threads, the short is 1991 and up with standard threads (in the 4.0 anyways).

92B216DD-AADE-424C-A9B9-D7897D271ADB.jpeg

I'm going to try to get if off again later this morning after work.

This is good info! Thank You!  I'm going to get it off today and see what i have for sure.

3 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

In 1991, they went from a 20mm oil filter nipple to a 3/4" nipple.

The metric filter threads on but also doesn't hold properly.

Stripped oil filter threads or your oil filter loosening up are the result if you use the later filter in an earlier application. 

RENIX OIL FILTER TO SAE FILTER

Tired of having a poor selection of oil filters for your Renix Jeep? Limited availabilty a pain for you? 20mm threads? We don’t need mumblemeter threads on our oil filters.

Here’s a simple mod that allows you to use the very popular SAE threaded oil filters which are more readily available. The old standard 3/4″ SAE thread.

You can purchase a new oil filter nipple from the dealer for under $10 and never be bothered again. Part number 53007563AB. It’s the one on the left. 53007563AB 7-8 15-16

Or, grab one off a 91 and later XJ at the junkyard. Be forewarned though. You need a 7/8 wrench to remove a Renix nipple, but a 15/16 wrench for the later style.

And just in case you need to replace your oil filter adapter o-rings, here’s a handy guide.

Oil Filter Adapter O-Ring Sizes
87-90 Renix Model O-rings

0.799 x 0.103 AS568 size -117
1.296 x 0.139 AS568 size -219
2.484 x 0.139 AS568 size –230

Dealer Part Numbers for Renix. Sold individually:

33002970, 33002971, 33002972

Renix kit from Crown Automotive-33002970K

91-01 HO Model Orings

0.676 x 0.070 AS568 size -017
0.859 x 0.139 AS568 size -212
2.484 x 0.139 AS568 size -230

So, I was able to get it off and I’m guessing that I do have the 3/4 size if I understand the pictures properly. Looking at the fitting though it doesn’t seem so bad. Is this minor wear enough to make the filter so loose? Guess I need to go get something 3/4 to compare.f6e855fe8283d69bfd960b57b05f6936.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Greentoy said:

So, I was able to get it off and I’m guessing that I do have the 3/4 size if I understand the pictures properly. Looking at the fitting though it doesn’t seem so bad. Is this minor wear enough to make the filter so loose? Guess I need to go get something 3/4 to compare.f6e855fe8283d69bfd960b57b05f6936.jpg

No, that's the correct oil filter for a '91-2001 XJ/MJ. 2.5 and 4.0 run the same filter, so you won't get anything different asking for one for a '95. Do you happen to still have the number for the filter you pulled off it after you bought it? Could be the PO was getting the wrong filters without knowing and stripped it out for you.

Getting an adapter that you know will work will cost you less than replacing filters repeatedly until you find one that does.

From the parts manuals at XJJeeps.com, they're the same adapters for 2.5 and 4.0. Interestingly the '91-'93 manual lists metric vs SAE for the 2.5 but breaks them out by application for the 4.0. The '94-'96 has the SAE and a third part number for an export 2.5, but only the SAE listed for the 4.0. The '97+ manual only lists the SAE for either engine.

My '91's both have a sticker under the hood warning to use the SAE filters. Hard to say if that's a factory thing or maybe it's possible the dealers were swapping them over and stickering them or something.

IMG_3577.JPG.e767f1305b592a5ffddd64ffdc31916b.JPG

No, that's the correct oil filter for a '91-2001 XJ/MJ. 2.5 and 4.0 run the same filter, so you won't get anything different asking for one for a '95. Do you happen to still have the number for the filter you pulled off it after you bought it? Could be the PO was getting the wrong filters without knowing and stripped it out for you.
Getting an adapter that you know will work will cost you less than replacing filters repeatedly until you find one that does.
From the parts manuals at XJJeeps.com, they're the same adapters for 2.5 and 4.0. Interestingly the '91-'93 manual lists metric vs SAE for the 2.5 but breaks them out by application for the 4.0. The '94-'96 has the SAE and a third part number for an export 2.5, but only the SAE listed for the 4.0. The '97+ manual only lists the SAE for either engine.
My '91's both have a sticker under the hood warning to use the SAE filters. Hard to say if that's a factory thing or maybe it's possible the dealers were swapping them over and stickering them or something.
IMG_3577.JPG.e767f1305b592a5ffddd64ffdc31916b.JPG

So I took my existing adapter down to the hardware store and the filter side of my current adapter is m18 thread. I’m trying to find a filter to put it back together for now. That way I can order the 3/4 16 part for next time. Thoughts?

My two cents, if the metric filter fits and doesn’t pull off or anything and you’re happy running them, I see no real reason to change it out. After owning a bunch of cars I’m personally happier not having to remember I need something other than what the parts store lookup tells me I do, especially on service items that I’ll be replacing reasonably often. I’ve been bit on that before. In the case of oil and filters I’m currently able to run the same thing on all my vehicles, so that’s not as big a deal because I’m still only remembering the one thing. If the PO did a full conversion to MPFI and it’s easier for you to remember you need only ‘94 engine parts, maybe that’s the way to go for you. 

Up to you I guess. In my case there’s currently no difference in local availability for either filter, they’re both a day away from a central warehouse. I’ve never bought the metric but sometimes they’ve had one of the SAE in stock locally, sometimes I’ve had to wait the day, even pre-pandemic. The metric is all of two cents cheaper. There’s ten times the inventory at the warehouse for the SAE, but not a low enough number on the metric I’d ever be concerned about finding one, even right now with weird supply chains. But that’s just me, at my tiny parts store, in my tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Your situation could be very different.

My two cents, if the metric filter fits and doesn’t pull off or anything and you’re happy running them, I see no real reason to change it out. After owning a bunch of cars I’m personally happier not having to remember I need something other than what the parts store lookup tells me I do, especially on service items that I’ll be replacing reasonably often. I’ve been bit on that before. In the case of oil and filters I’m currently able to run the same thing on all my vehicles, so that’s not as big a deal because I’m still only remembering the one thing. If the PO did a full conversion to MPFI and it’s easier for you to remember you need only ‘94 engine parts, maybe that’s the way to go for you. 

Up to you I guess. In my case there’s currently no difference in local availability for either filter, they’re both a day away from a central warehouse. I’ve never bought the metric but sometimes they’ve had one of the SAE in stock locally, sometimes I’ve had to wait the day, even pre-pandemic. The metric is all of two cents cheaper. There’s ten times the inventory at the warehouse for the SAE, but not a low enough number on the metric I’d ever be concerned about finding one, even right now with weird supply chains. But that’s just me, at my tiny parts store, in my tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Your situation could be very different.

If I could just run the metric filter, I’d be fine with that. The problem that is weird here is that neither the metric 20mm or the 7/8 imperial filters fit the truck. The threads of my adapter are 18 mm and I have no idea what it originally came off of.

I didn’t catch the M18 vs M20 bit.

The imperial filters are 3/4-16, not a 7/8” thread.

18mm is just shy of 3/4”, and 16 tpi works out to a thread pitch just a hair over 1.5. It’s close enough it might screw together, and maybe even tighten down, especially if the slightly larger 3/4” threads are worn off. But if a 3/4-16 filter like the Wix you have doesn’t fit properly anymore, I think you should probably get a new adapter.

I didn’t catch the M18 vs M20 bit.
The imperial filters are 3/4-16, not a 7/8” thread.
18mm is just shy of 3/4”, and 16 tpi works out to a thread pitch just a hair over 1.5. It’s close enough it might screw together, and maybe even tighten down, especially if the slightly larger 3/4” threads are worn off. But if a 3/4-16 filter like the Wix you have doesn’t fit properly anymore, I think you should probably get a new adapter.

I appreciate all the info on this topic. I ended up getting lucky and finding a fitting on a 4.0 core at a local salvage yard this afternoon. So now everything goes together really well! Still wonder what vehicle ever had the 2.5 with an 18mm thread for filter since I can’t find any filters with that thread at my local parts store. thanks again!

1 hour ago, Greentoy said:

I appreciate all the info on this topic. I ended up getting lucky and finding a fitting on a 4.0 core at a local salvage yard this afternoon. emoji106.pngemoji106.png So now everything goes together really well! Still wonder what vehicle ever had the 2.5 with an 18mm thread for filter since I can’t find any filters with that thread at my local parts store. emoji2369.png thanks again!

Again, a worn off 3/4-16 is going to seem a heck of a lot like an m18x1.5. Honestly with some of the made-in-china tolerances out there they might even fit new.

Again, a worn off 3/4-16 is going to seem a heck of a lot like an m18x1.5. Honestly with some of the made-in-china tolerances out there they might even fit new.

It threaded into a new m18 fitting perfectly and when comparing it to the one I got from the salvage yard, it’s a completely different part with a 13/16” hex on it too.