New Ride

So I got a pretty good deal today and figured I'd share with everyone who cares.

Its a 89 Eliminator short box 2wd 4L/auto in pretty damn good shape only has one major dent in the drivers rear quarter panel that I should be able to beet out. It has 200K on the ticker but runs strong shifts smooth and doesn't burn any oil.

Plan is to make a DD slash street truck out of it leaving it 2wd maybe dropping it an inch or two with a nice set of wheels and tires. Also the girl friend can drive it to keep some miles off the Power Stroke.

projectdd2vm9.jpg

projectdd4ie2.jpg

projectdd5dn9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a little update on the new ride, I picked up a set of GT 5 spoke 17" rims, I put a set of rear Grand Cherokee springs on the front that dropped it about 3" in the front. I haven't done anything in the rear yet, can't decide on putting drop blocks or hunting down some rear leafs to take it down. I thought about putting waggy springs in the spring under flavor but I think it will drop it to much compared to the front. Here is a current pic. newwheels2we8.jpg

It looked much better as a stock MJ than with those GT wheels.

Why worry about the miles and the fuel and the value of the Power Stroke when the tires and wheels that you just put on it cost you a boat load.

Reatread 225's or 215's only cost $35 each.

I would have just left is stock and fixed the problems and drove into the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Things is I only have 35 bucks in the Gt wheels like they are and I will going today to pick up a set of 235-55-17's for the back since the rear tires are a little worn. So all in all I have around 450 in the truck, 35 in the GT wheels, 8 in the drop springs and hopefully 50 in the new tires oh and 30 in drop bolcks for the back :oops: yeah i know blocks but me and the waggy springs couldn't get along at the junk yard. Plus it will get a flat black paint job to wrap it all up. So for under $600 bucks I won't go broke putting it together.

newstancera7.jpg

I have to say, I think the GT rims look pretty damn good. Even if they're used reps, I can't believe you got them so cheap.

And that truck is too cool looking to go flat black IMO. I think it would look hot in a gloss black with either the rockers painted or a 4" GT stripe just above the rockers, in a matching metallic grey to the wheels.

Here is a little update on the new ride, I picked up a set of GT 5 spoke 17" rims, I put a set of rear Grand Cherokee springs on the front that dropped it about 3" in the front. I haven't done anything in the rear yet, can't decide on putting drop blocks or hunting down some rear leafs to take it down. I thought about putting waggy springs in the spring under flavor but I think it will drop it to much compared to the front. Here is a current pic.

newwheels2we8.jpg

That's almost perfect stance in front. I'm going to be doing the same thing to my 88, so I have to ask; what year ZJ rear coils are you running up front, and what year waggy leafs were you trying to get? Your project is coming along real nicely, and I'll be watching this one quite closely. :popcorn:

I haven't got it out on the street yet I still need to pick up two rear tires for it as one is pretty bald so I can't comment on the ride as of yet.

The coils came off a 98'ZJ and the waggy springs I was trying to get where from a 89' but after really looking at it I think they would have dropped it to much.

The blocks came from autozone, I might still try the waggy springs when I swap out the Dana 35 for a 8.8 with a Lsd in the future.

I also plan on swapping the stock sway bar for the one I took off my ZJ and adding one to the rear.

1bolt, i've got your perfect candidate. 87 2wd longbed laredo, 4cyl (with issues), ax5, d35, body is 99% perfect. pwr windows, locks, full gauges, tilt, cruise, a/c (not sure if works), 5 spoke factory alloys..........

buy it before i post it next week!

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a little update on the new ride, I picked up a set of GT 5 spoke 17" rims, I put a set of rear Grand Cherokee springs on the front that dropped it about 3" in the front. I haven't done anything in the rear yet, can't decide on putting drop blocks or hunting down some rear leafs to take it down. I thought about putting waggy springs in the spring under flavor but I think it will drop it to much compared to the front.

Very nice work so far!

So you managed to drop it roughly 3"? I was always told that max you could do is 1.5"-2" up front as it would hit the oil pan otherwise?

I have a thread over on jeepforum about lowering my '88 and this threads been useful so far, so keep up the great work! 17's are perfect for a street manche as well.

There doesn't seem to be a issue with the oil pan but I also don't plan on jumpin it so it shouldn't be a problem. I picked up a set of 235-55-17's for the back to kinda give it that hot rod look. I will try and post up a pick tomorrow of the new stance.

• 4 weeks later...

SWEET! Looks like there will be a few lowered MJ's in the next year . Mine's a 88 eliminator w 17 in moabs , I hadn't really figures out how I was going to lower the front . I heard the same thing about oil pan clearance if ou can would you take a pic of the front axle and a couple more of the stance would be great. The donor is awesome , too bad the doors don't fit . Keep us updated -Andy