Project Bitchin "MANCHEE"

Well guess I should create a "build" thread for my manche. I originally got this from @yellaheep back in 2017. I wasn't looking for a MJ and really had no clue about them. Just wanted a small truck, but this being a Jeep and plain cool was enough for me. The truck had change hands through other MJ fanatics over the years in CO. Lived a while down in south CO before coming up to Denver. 

At the time it was lowered as I believe Troy wanted to build for autocross but never happened. I couldn't live with a lowered jeep, it just felt wrong. So it was returned to original height. 88 pioneer, 4x4, 5 spd.

z9ny3OBl.jpg

I drove it around for a bit and the more I drove it the more I started to really like it. Originally, I was going to lift it and swap in newer XJ axles and some other stuff. Then it switched to snagging a HP44 and 9 and building a crawler. Then life and other stuff happened and it just stayed about the same with the exception of putting on ACOS to level out the rake. I actually liked the look and just left it. 

V6gHt5xl.jpg

o7MdWs0l.jpg 

I ended up getting a new job up in the mountains so all plans to build pretty much got put on hold while we moved and everything else. Other than some basic maintenance I never really had to do anything to it which was nice. Was just fun to cruise around in.  

RIr6BIZl.jpg

p4Ce1JNl.jpg

After a while the truck just kind of hung out. Where we lived I didn't get to drive it as much especially with my daughter. I didn't want to wheel it as I had the WJ. So I eventually made the choice to sell it, big reason was I found another project MJ and I really didn't want to chop up this one but I couldn't keep both. After realizing how few and far these are in decent condition I just couldn't bring myself to chop up a clean example. The project MJ was already really well built and just needed some finishing. It was also beat to crap so I didn't feel bad about cutting it up. 

0QJlcZXl.jpg

EptqZYJl.jpg

I had chipped away at a few small things on the project MJ but we moved.....again. So I've been doing remodel work and we welcomed another baby girl. So time was slim but it was fine. We had finally moved to a house that had a three car garage which was much needed. Then one day as I was aimlessly scrolling through Craigslist for Jeep stuff I noticed a MJ that looked really familiar. The guy I sold it to was another NAXJA guy that was always asking me about selling my MJ. So when I sold it I wanted to make sure it went to someone who know what they where doing and not making it a clapped out $hitbox. He had it for about a year and did a few small things, rear frame stiffners, fixed some little things and added new shocks. He was awesome enough to sell it back to me for about the same price I sold it to him plus a little more because of the upgrades. Which in this MJ market was HUGE. He ended up hitting the same wall I did and not wanting to cut it up because it was nice. 

knJO85fl.jpg

OCetfW0l.jpg

Since I've had it back I've done a few little things to it. I installed the headlight harness upgrade, swapped in the 89 ECU and put the Azzys design gauge overlays on. I need to reinstall the rear bumper and also put the ACOS back on. But other than that nothing really planned. I am going to part out the other MJ and I have a few parts I'm keeping but still undecided on the rest. For now I just enjoy driving it. 

ahBmbg9l.jpg

4iibql7l.jpg

m5y48M2l.jpg

Rad! I’ve always loved this truck. About six years ago I met Troy and saw this truck out at his storage yard. It was lowered then and I really wanted to buy it off him. At the same time I was planning my move from MN to CO. Obviously, I didn’t buy it but I’m glad that someone did!… and then again!

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to more. :beerchug:

Thanks! Not sure what's next. I really want to work on building my WJ, but we'll see. So far my thoughts on this are a repaint, new XJ axles with 3.73's, little lift with bigger rubber and just keep it simple and clean.  

2 hours ago, neohic said:

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to more. :beerchug:

Found his old build thread. I still don't regret my choice..... although I think it would be cool to have a build like it. 

vFSHKOal.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got around to installing my REM. Got a TPS issue I need to figure out. Nice finally having a "easy" way to know what's going on.

I also picked some decent turbines and got some JKS lower control arms and drop brackets cheap. 

The direction I'm leaning for a build is a restomod. 31s, little lift, possibly a LS swap and some other things. First, I need to part out the project MJ in the garage, finish the WJ build and then I might be ready but I'll keep stashing parts until then. 

IMG_20220731_170048125.jpg

IMG_20220731_170959837.jpg

IMG_20220731_170811424_HDR.jpg

• Smokeyyank changed the title to Project 88 Bitchin Pioneer manche
  • 5 weeks later...

Got around to installing some things. Put in the jeepcables.com wiring kit. While I was messing with that decided it was time to upgrade the stereo that was beat to crap. I didn't need anything crazy but I really wanted a nice system in something. WJ doesn't have the space and my Scions system does fine. So I dropped in a 8" sub 5ch amp and new speakers and a deck. Sounds awesome and the 8" sub has the perfect amount of bass. 

IMG_20220825_123751695.jpg

Nice work.  I was strongly considering this truck as I wanted to autocross mine.  However I had just purchased a piece of property that really needed a 4x4 truck. 

I'm jelly of your REM, I have one on order and can't wait to get it in.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Update! But nothing exciting. I was going to get my emission test done and radiator completely crapped out on me. It was the original so after 30 years it did its job. Decided to covert to a open system. All in all pretty easy. One thing I decided to do was to retain the factory pressure bottle as my overflow. I had replaced it recently and didn't see the point in trying to put in a new one. So far all good. 

20231228_155050.jpg

20231228_155105.jpg

• Smokeyyank changed the title to Project Bitchin "MANCHEE"
On 12/30/2023 at 10:03 AM, Drahcir495 said:

I love the Manchee tag :beerchug:. I really like the direction you’re going with this. I thought I read you’re repainting the truck. Have an idea on what color you’re going with? 

Thanks! I'd keep it the original Colorado red and get the pioneer graphics. 

On 12/28/2023 at 8:29 PM, Smokeyyank said:

Update! But nothing exciting. I was going to get my emission test done and radiator completely crapped out on me. It was the original so after 30 years it did its job. Decided to covert to a open system. All in all pretty easy. One thing I decided to do was to retain the factory pressure bottle as my overflow. I had replaced it recently and didn't see the point in trying to put in a new one. So far all good. 

20231228_155050.jpg

20231228_155105.jpg

You might consider a drain tube from the top side fitting, in case it decides to overflow at least your distributor won't get soaked.

3 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

You might consider a drain tube from the top side fitting, in case it decides to overflow at least your distributor won't get soaked.

There is one there, just not in the pic. Got hasty with pics and posting.