1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer Project

I have owned the Comanche for one month. Last week was my first real rain while having the truck and know now that I need to weatherproof it. It is missing some of the felt squeegee things on the windows. I need to find those and possibly the other weather stripping also. I had water puddles in my flooring. 

After a few days of drying and a little warmer weather I was able to finally get my first coat of POR15 on yesterday. I initially was going to just do the flooring but them got a little carried away with the paint brush and went up the back wall, then the B pillar. I guess I will end up doing the whole cab with the stuff. It's kind of like......where do you stop once you start. :laugh2:

Here are a couple pics from the first coat of POR15. 

Once this dries, I am going to remove the headliner and address any concerns in the ceiling and redo the headliner also.  

My upholstery guy ended up in the Hospital for some reason so my seat got delayed but he said he will start on it today so maybe that will be ready by the time I get the interior ready for a seat again. 

Also went ahead and ordered the new taillight lenses from KeyParts. 

Here are a few pics of the POR15 first coat. It covers pretty well with a paintbrush. Some places are hard to get though due to how runny it is. It is not super runny but def not as thick as some paints. 

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8440.jpg

IMG_8441.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, jdog said:

Teamcherokee.com had the weather stripping, haven't looked lately, common points are windshield/back window and anything that passes thru the firewall.

I looked on Teamcherokee and the felt parts of the window say that they do not fit the Comanche. 

Well got the headliner out and thankfully there was not a single speck of rust on it like some I have seen. I am thankful for that. 

I did break one of the sun visor clips so I will need to source one of those. Planning on redoing the headliner. 

I do have a question though before I end up breaking it. 

The trip piece that goes over the door and runs down beside the dash...... is there a way to get that out without taking out the dash? I painted all my other trim pieces and did not realize that one was between the dash and cab that tight. 

IMG_8573.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8579.jpg

the A-pillar trim is an absolute pain, but it does for sure come out without removing the dash.  It has the tensile strength of a Ritz cracker, so don't force anything. 

people are now printing the visor clips using better plastic. :L:  I think there's one or 2 in the Vendors section of the classifieds. 

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

the A-pillar trim is an absolute pain, but it does for sure come out without removing the dash.  It has the tensile strength of a Ritz cracker, so don't force anything. 

people are now printing the visor clips using better plastic. :L:  I think there's one or 2 in the Vendors section of the classifieds. 

Okay great. I have been trying to be cautious with this plastic stuff cause it's so brittle but still broke the visor clip. 

I will try some more with the A-pillar trim. I did not mess with it long because I assumed it would not come out without the dash being out. Now that I know it will, I will attempt carefully to do so. 

Thanks. 

Got some of the NoicoMat sound deadener down today. Starting to finally see some progress. Found out the hard way that the floor and crevasses of this Comanche has lots of thin little burs in the sheetmetal. Even after sanding, wire wheeling and the Por15 and Bedliner they will still cut the crap out of your fingers. They are thin too so it's like some mean little paper cuts all over my hand. 

IMG_8597.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8602.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got my stock bench seat back. The original was cloth and vinyl and I went back with all vinyl. The guy went with all marine vinyl and added some extra padding while he was restoring the seat. I am happy with the way it turned out. 

Here are some before and after photos. 

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

Last week I talked with a guy who thought he had an older Cherokee than he actually does. I told him I would buy the full gauge cluster so he pulled it and sent it to me. When I got the cluster it turned out to be from a newer one which had the all-electric speedometer. That would not work so I ended up searching some more.

Luckily, I found the correct Full Gauge Cluster that takes the Speedometer cable. 

IMG_9027.jpg.65c8774744773f1827b68eb15d5a3af9.jpg

IMG_9008.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9024.jpg

IMG_9025.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

Starting the work on my lenses. My truck has the driver's side lens that is cracked and the passenger side that is not. I went to the junk yard and bought a passenger side lens that way I did't have to take apart my good lens. I already had an extra driver side lens that was good. 

With my busted drivers side lens and the junk yard lens I am starting the process of installing the keyparts lenses on the taillight housings. 

The junkyard passenger side lens came apart real nice. It was from a 86 Comanche. 

The original driver's side lens on my 88 was held together pretty well and actually ended up having to come off in pieces. 

Trying to decide which sealer I am going to use for the taillights. 

Also, recently found a set of front side market lights that are new old stock. Mine have cracks around the edges but not too bad but I figured I would grab these anyways. 

First photo is the junkyard lens seperated from its housing. 

Second photo is an original taillight lens next to a keyparts lens. 

Third photo is some of the junk I have to scrape off 

Fourth photo is obviously my original driver side lens that was stuck on super good. It came off in pieces. 

Fifth photo is of the new old stock Comanche marker lights. 

IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9221.jpg

IMG_9220.jpg

My compliments on your awesome find, looks like a great place to start from! I wish mine had the original graphics and some sweet wheels! 

That Noico sound deadener is pretty good stuff for the price. We've gone through a number of boxes on the camper vans we've built, and it makes a noticable improvement.

I'm impressed with how that seat turned out too, I wouldn't have thought to go full vinyl, but I like it!

1 minute ago, RuBacon said:

My compliments on your awesome find, looks like a great place to start from! I wish mine had the original graphics and some sweet wheels! 

That Noico sound deadener is pretty good stuff for the price. We've gone through a number of boxes on the camper vans we've built, and it makes a noticable improvement.

I'm impressed with how that seat turned out too, I wouldn't have thought to go full vinyl, but I like it!

Thank you. I am happy with the way the Noico stuff quiets up the tin can sound throughout the truck cab. 

The seat I was not sure of either but I am happy with how it turned out. He kept the stock look but I believe the rigidity of the all marine vinyl will maybe last a long time. Should be easy to keep clean also. 

I would love to have some turbine wheels but the wheels on it now are okay. Even gave me the original Jeep wheels that say jeep on them but I don't wish to use them. I like the ones on better than I do the extra ones he gave me. 

Thanks again for the comments. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after messing up the first vinyl flooring I ordered I finally got my second one in.

I messed up and cut my other flooring too short on the sides because I thought the trim came down lower than it does. Had to order a whole new flooring and at 200/floor that sucked. With some pointers from some other guys I can finally see the flooring starting to look like it's supposed to again. 

Then as I starting putting the trim pieces back in place I started to realize that I covered up most of my trim screw holes with the noico sound deadener. Not a big problem but a time consuming one. I had to figure out where they were by looking through photos I took and prodding around with the screws. 

This interior has taken way longer than I anticipated but in the end I am glad I have done it. I know that my floorboards will be solid for a long time hopefully. I like the way the grey flooring looks. 

While I have all the trim pieces out of the truck I figured it would be a good thing to just replace the factory speakers in the pillars with some new Rockford Fosgate Punch 4x6 speakers. The radio does not work well at all and I had not taken apart my doors yet so I didn't know I have door speakers. With the rear speakers out I turned on the radio and for a second I heard music so I will prob. replace those door speakers with some of the same brand door speakers. Eventually I will get a new radio also. 

I was told that a YJ shift boot will fit the Comanche. Is that true? My inner boot is okay but the accordion  style that goes around the shifter has a rip in it. 

I have been waiting for our local store to get the headliner material back in stock so I can finish up the headliner. Has anyone went back with just a vinyl headliner? 

IMG_9584.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9588.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9591.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

Wanted to give an update on the lift situation. 

I had inquired about ordering a lift from Rocky Road Outfitters. I read mixed reviews and others shared concerns about ordering from them. Said they were super slow on shipping and that the customer service was spotty. 

It gave me pause but in the end they just had everything I wanted so I gave them a shot. 

They told me they were running about 5 weeks out which was fine for me. I have plenty other things to work on. 

I ordered on Feb 21 and they shipped it on March 10. 

So they actually have shipped it all in 17 days. Not too bad and that is including the weekends too. 

So far I have been very pleased with the customer service on the phone and then so far with the ordering process. All the parts should arrive Tuesday March 15. 

Right on. Thanks for sharing your experience. :L: 

I like the flooring idea. I have a stock used shifter boot  for console. As Ill be going that yj boot style no console look. 

Not sure but I can't say that vinyls for the headliner be good if have a good shell. I may go that route myself, easy clean up with a finished appeal. Sweet luxurious dreams! :comancheB: