1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer Project

Okay, I figured I would go ahead and post up my new project here to document over time the changes made. 

Truck:

1988 Comanche Pioneer

Short Box

5 speed transmission

D44   D30 axles

NP 231 Transfer Case

Very solid truck over all. The only rust I can find is some small scratches on the bed rails that have a little surface rust. 

The truck had a spray on bedliner or something under it. It is starting to wear off now but at least it protected it for many years. Floorboards from the bottom are solid as a rock. I will eventually pull the carpet and make sure they are solid from the top. 

Dash cluster does not work so I will need to try and figure that out. I will try on my own first and have been reading over some links provided here to try and figure that out. 

This will be a project that may take some time as I am learning as I go and going to try to focus on one thing at a time rather than a bunch at once which my A.D.D. wants me to do. I feel like if I caved into that I would have a truck in a bunch of pieces and may be overwhelming. 

I am not sure what my full plans are for the truck but I do know that I would eventually like to run 33 inch tires and keep a fairly stock looking truck other than the lift. Not wanting to cut the fenders and such. 

Also, if you are on Instagram I made a page there also. 88ComancheJeep

First up are some pics of when I purchased the truck. 

IMG_7034.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7036.JPG

IMG_7037.JPG

IMG_7057.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

IMG_7062.jpg

IMG_7063.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once it was home I could actually go over it a little better. 

At the moment it has Corbeau Moab Seats. They are very comfortable but I got a bench seat with it and I will clean that one up and put it back in the truck more than likely. 

I am pretty sure that the rear end is a D44 and the front is a D30 from looking at other photos and shapes. 

Although I have driven other Jeeps in the past and actually have a JKU right now......this will be my first time actually having a project Jeep so I will hopefully learn a lot on this  project. 

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7097.jpg

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

IMG_7102.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7276.jpg

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

First up on the list of things to do is the front brakes. These things are rough. Not sure when the last time they were changed but I can see and feel big groves in the rotars. The previous owner also stated that one of the calipers drags so I am going to replace the entire front brakes. 

Now that the front brakes are done I also gave it a much needed bath. The paint is a dull Colorado Red but not the worst I have seen. Maybe I will buff it and see how clean it will come but for now a simple wash will do. 

Being new to all of this I will no doubt have to purchase tools along the way. First tools purchased were a jack and some jack stands along with a allen key socket set. 

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

IMG_7323.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

IMG_7325.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7345.jpg

IMG_7349.jpg

IMG_7350.jpg

IMG_7352.jpg

4 hours ago, 87Warrior said:

Looking good! And yes, that is a Dana 44 rear axle. Nice find!

Thanks. I was happy to find this one. I almost made the very long trip to Pennsylvania to get one but decided the price of the trip plus the price of the truck just wasn’t worth it to me. The day I turned that one down this one fell into my lap and it was much cheaper and in my state. 

11 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Floorboards from the bottom are solid as a rock. I will eventually pull the carpet and make sure they are solid from the top. 

my floorboards are also rock solid from the bottom but have almost cancer on the top. treat it before it gets worse:(. Great truck really scored with that 44!

8 hours ago, Jesse J said:

my floorboards are also rock solid from the bottom but have almost cancer on the top. treat it before it gets worse:(. Great truck really scored with that 44!

Maybe that will be my next step on this one. Pull the carpet and assess any rust. 

16 hours ago, Jesse J said:

you definitely should you can always put the carpet back in

I had def. planned on it eventually but I think I am going to make that one of my tops now. That way I can address any rust (hopefully) before it gets to be too much. 

When you have the carpet out, it's always a great idea to do a rust proofing coating like POR15 or Chassis Saver and optionally put down sound dampening material. 

Lots like Kilmat, I used Noico with good results. 

29 minutes ago, scguy said:

When you have the carpet out, it's always a great idea to do a rust proofing coating like POR15 or Chassis Saver and optionally put down sound dampening material. 

POR15 is great and definetely go with some sort of sound dampening

4 hours ago, scguy said:

For sure. I just recently watched a video where a guy addressed his rust and then put down some Por-15 and put down some Noico. Maybe it was your video if you have any on YouTube. 

4 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

For sure. I just recently watched a video where a guy addressed his rust and then put down some Por-15 and put down some Noico. Maybe it was your video if you have any on YouTube. 

I don't have any Comanche YouTube content. I've been thinking about doing a walk-around video. 

On 1/12/2022 at 3:07 PM, Pete M said:

is your rear prop valve hooked up to anything?

Are you talking about the thing on the rear axle for brakes? What made you ask? I’m new to all this and trying to learn as I go. Did you see something that made you ask? 

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

there's nothing attached to the differential in the pic. 

IMG_7273.jpg.23699b228ac747fd9714422e76726f4d.jpg

Do you happen to have a photo of what it’s supposed to look like? I have tried to search and don’t see it. I guess maybe something is not hooked up. 

20 hours ago, Pete M said:

it's the weird contraption to the drivers side of the diff attached to the underside of the bed.  has a swing arm that should be connected to the diff via a rod.

1_88_MJ_SANY2249.jpg

Yeah it’s definitely not connected to anything. 

91845859-80A2-4AEF-83D1-E1E45FA8C308.jpeg

BDEFC1FD-4977-4480-9117-C47806A8FBD5.jpeg

36467155-C35A-4F23-A83E-6D0D2B26FBA7.jpeg