rip off or not?

JEEPERZ

was i ripped off by a shop? read below  

9 members have voted

1. 1. was i ripped off by a shop? read below

• am i over reacting and the shop is legit?
    • am i a victim of a crooked shop?

so i went to a place to get my truck aligned yesterday. i agree to the $69.00 and fill out a form. so i sit down and start the 45 minute wait. the guy comes back into the waiting room and asks if i have any radiator problems. i walk out to the shop and my truck is on the hoist pouring out antifreeze. not just leaking, pouring! he told me he took it around the block to see if it needed aligned and when he got back it was leaking????? ive never been to a shop that needed to drive the car around the block before the alignment.

so, they could put in a new radiator but it will cost $400.00 at first i agreed, just to get it done. then i started asking about the money. he said it was $80.00 for labor and the rest was the radiator. needless to say i jumped in my truck and drove it back home.

Either way I wouldn't let them touch my truck ever again, let alone pay them to do it. :mad:

oh, I would.

BUT I would stand there and watch them work on it.

there is only 1 shop that I don't look over their shoulders, and that's because the guy who runs it/works there is the one who tells me all the tech I need to know about things like the 3800 swap (plus he's a family friend).

when I had my truck aligned, I stood there and watched. they opened the hood once and started to reach in, but I yelled at them because they do not need to do that to align the front end.

I'm pulling the radiator out this morning and am going to have a real good look at it. if something is fishy, I'm taking them the invoice for the new radiator and my time and am going to demand the money.

lets say they were honest, what would cause a hole that big in such a short time???????

here is the hole

photo1kh3.jpg

it looks like the very front of the fan is hitting the radiator. how could he have moved the fan forward so much? revving it up?

photoif4.jpg

oh yea, is freon toxic? say i accidentally loosened a a/c condenser line and breathed it in. i didn't of course, just curious. dam newbie :mad:

yea don't breathe freon

um...was the radiator mounted properly? if it was not in the mount holes properly it could have caused that.

another thing is that your bearing on the rad. fan could be bad and it could be wobbling forward and back...

doesn't look like they messed with it though.

I'm not sure what is in the a/c but i know it was redone 2 years ago. if i had breathed it, i wonder what it would do?? not that i did. :oops: and yes freon is very bad for the o-zone and highly illegal to let go in the air. i can see where a newbie would think its part of the radiator an undo a line.

yea, i don't think the radiator was messed with either. i told them about the death wobble thing, ill bet he went out to see if he could get it to do it and when it did, it probly punched the hole in the radiator.

I bought a new radiator for my 88 XJ this spring. I bought it from a professional radiator shop and they charged me (IIRC) $150. You can get about the same price from the chain places, but I prefer going local on a radiator because if it leaks, he can fix it.

So this shop you went to wanted $320 for a radiator that probably costs them maybe $100 -- that's a rather steep markup.